PDA

View Full Version : river fishing... HELP

flumpkin
07-31-2011, 10:03 PM
Hello gentlem and ladies.

I am a young fisherman, that doesnt really have to much experencie in fishing.

i can fish lakes with bait, spoons, crankbaits, jigs you name it. I just don't know how to fish river's. i do fly fish.

I just need some advice for fishing rivers, what do i use, how to use it.
just some advice would be very aperciated.

rivers beside me= bow river, red deer river, oldsman river, kanaskis river, etc...

me and my family (dad and mom) go fishing and we can't seem to catch any from the rivers.

hear stories about catching tons and even seeing others catch alot of fish out of rivers but i haven't done it myself.

Help please... thanks

drhu22
07-31-2011, 10:46 PM
Hello gentlem and ladies.

I am a young fisherman, that doesnt really have to much experencie in fishing.

i can fish lakes with bait, spoons, crankbaits, jigs you name it. I just don't know how to fish river's. i do fly fish.

I just need some advice for fishing rivers, what do i use, how to use it.
just some advice would be very aperciated.

rivers beside me= bow river, red deer river, oldsman river, kanaskis river, etc...

me and my family (dad and mom) go fishing and we can't seem to catch any from the rivers.

hear stories about catching tons and even seeing others catch alot of fish out of rivers but i haven't done it myself.

Help please... thanks

Learn where fish are most often found in rivers such as pools, eddies, riffles, seams, etc. Then present your lure or bait in the most natural way you can.
All the methods you listed can be used in rivers of course.
With spinners(panther martins are very good)i usually cast upstream/across, let it sink close to the bottom, then retrieve not letting slack in the line very often...varying speeds sometimes...experiment!
With bait let it drift with the current or swim as naturally
as possible(usually close to the bottom) but be careful about where bait is allowed.

One more thing is maybe you can find a friend to go fishing with who knows about it...that might be a good way to learn.

Cheers and good luck!

Steven Noel
07-31-2011, 10:57 PM
I too am a young fisherman, raised on all waters. Rivers; mountain streams and foothill creeks, as well as alpine lakes and the fruit of their waters are my quarry of choice. Once you raise a Cutthroat from a boulder garden, or a Bull from a deep corner pool the cookie-cutter Rainbows of stalked lakes are never quite the same, or at least they weren't for me.

Invest in some literature, or a sound instructor, preferably both. Barry Mitchell's Trout Highway very well may be the best $30 you will ever spend.

I hope your ambition blossums as mine once did, many years ago.

Dust1n
08-01-2011, 10:27 AM
most of the fish in the rivers are pretty close to the bank within about 15 feet.(not Sturgeon)

x2 with casting into edies, seems, riffles, pools, undercut banks, and structure

you want to figure out a trouts needs, shelter,food,oxygen ect

remeber trout are lazy in rivers and wont move the whole river to find your fly so

natural presentations with a upstream approach is the stealthest being trout cant see behind them

on the big rivers for trout i like to use a hopper in a yellow/orange body.
and on the bow big streamers in brown and in fall silvery. 3-6inches
3inches in summer ect and 6inches in fall when they become aggresive and feeding on whitefish.

hardware i use cd5-7 in rainbow trout and brown trout and in fall i use cd7-9 in silver on the bow.

alot of big fish in the shallowest of water!