PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a remote camp - fish spot near Edmonton

r2d246
07-31-2011, 11:38 PM
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

Sorry but I have a tall order....

I'm looking for a remote or semi remote camping spot near Edmonton. Ideally located near a stream, river or lake. I want just something like well wooded crown land. Somewhere I can drive my car close as possible to the site, then just hike the rest of the way. Something where I won't see any people, or very seldom. I'm just mainly looking for somewhere close to Edmonton (within 100km) where one could get away to in order to just camp out and maybe fish. I just want to practice some survival skills, like building a lean-to, camping, fishing etc without anyone bugging me.

I don't want anything close to a provincial camp site. Just a natural area. A place where a man can build a shelter, catch a fish, cook it over an open fire, and get away from the city life. Please help!!! :sHa_shakeshout:

Albertadiver
08-01-2011, 12:05 AM
there are still spots like that. Hopefully you get a few by PM.

My suggestion is to get a backcountry road map, pick some spots and explore. It worked for me. I think I'm ready to explore a few new places myself.

Hiwa
08-01-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm in Edmonton too. I've asked this same question all over the net.
Still looking. :(

rugatika
08-01-2011, 12:59 PM
within 100km of edmonton...slim chances of not seeing other people. expand that to 200km and maybe. I'd head out towards Edson, Robb, Hinton, Brazeau areas....likely the closest areas to Edmonton where this a CHANCE of not seeing anyone.

Hiwa
08-01-2011, 02:59 PM
within 100km of edmonton...slim chances of not seeing other people. expand that to 200km and maybe. I'd head out towards Edson, Robb, Hinton, Brazeau areas....likely the closest areas to Edmonton where this a CHANCE of not seeing anyone.

Your probably right. I'm heading to Wolf Lake next week

I camp in the park but go for day hikes in the bush to go plinking when the fish aint biting. Used to be nobody knew about the place 10-15 yrs ago , now it's just as packed as anywhere else. And the %$#$ fees went up again to $22. Great spot though.

CaberTosser
08-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Your title question is contradictory; the closer you are to a large metropolitan area, the less remote you are...... Expand your search parameters and you'll likely have better luck. Ditch the car and go in deep to find real serenity. The easier it is to get to, a greater amount of Yahoo's will find it.

NoKlu
08-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Vancouver fits that bill,not Edmonton.

BGSH
08-01-2011, 08:33 PM
there are no remote places 1 hour from Edmonton, now go 2-3 hours at least then you will find plenty of remote awsome places to fish, goodluck. make sure you bring a woman with you

r2d246
08-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Okay well I'll answer my own question a bit, but I still want your feed back as I'm just starting my search. So I went looking. I figured out a few things along the way. First outside the farm land is mainly partly treed ranch land. Never really knew that. Surrounding some parts of lakes is usually public or crown land. Ya what I realized is most of the land is being USED!! It sucks. If there's a dirt road it generally goes to someones farm, ranch or acerage.

I think what you want to do is look for:
Nature areas
Hunting areas
Cut lines
roads that lead to oil and gas pumps

And ideally somewhere where there's stream or lake.

So anyway here's what I know of so far:
1) if you go way out down HYW 13 west (past alder flats), you get into all these oil dereks. It gets confusing so bring a gps or map or leave crumbs. In the oil dereks are cut lines. There's pretty back woods area. No body there but the odd oil worker. But that's really far. The oil pumps and stuff kinda ruin it though, plus again too far.

2) Area around buck lake has some potential. It's a big lake but I didn't find an actual spot unfortunately.

2) When you go down hyw 13 w, turn S on RR 22 on the right is the Battle lake nature area. I drove by it but I didn't really notice anything there as far as a nature area that one could use. But it says's it' on the map.

2) When you go down hyw 13 w, turn S on RR 25 go down a few kms. Keep your eye on the right. There's small dirt road. Not sure where it leads, but if it lead just into the woods you'd be into some nice deep woods where no one would see your vehicle or likely bother you.

3) When you go down hyw 13, just past the road indicating to enter the battle lake campground. Keep on hyw 13, dips into a valley. Just before the bridge take a right. (rr 15b) . Then when you drive just near the lake, just before the bridge there's ample room to park your car on either side of the dirt road. Then one could just walk into the forest and camp out anywhere on the SW side of the lake. This isn't for the faint of heart. This is just woods and lake. I think if you hiked far enough no one would come bother you. Plus you'd be right lake side in deep woods. I really liked what I saw but didn't have time to explore.

But ya generally it sucks. All just ranch land everywhere. If you drive around it's a waste of time. You have to know where you're going or have a rough idea. I almost ran out of gas. Anyway, I'm gonna keep looking.