PDA

View Full Version : Leadcore and line counters

Geezle
08-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Okay...a few weeks ago I scooped up a Cabela's Deptmaster II trolling reel and a Cabela's Depthmaster trolling rod from a forum member. The reel was loaded with leadcore line, which I thought would be great for the laker trolling I'd intended it for.

Wrong!

The leadcore seems to have a lot of drag in the water, and my lure wasn't getting down nearly as deep as I wanted it. Also, because of the diameter of the leadcore (I think) my line counter was right out to lunch (verified with the downrigger/sonar a couple days worth of use in).

The rod and reel seemed to perform just fine except the leadcore screwed the line counter and the line counter is really why I wanted this reel in the first place! :lol:

I checked the Cabela's site but I can't seem to find out what line diameter is required to make the line counter work right. If anybody could point me to that info it'd be very much appreciated.

huntsfurfish
08-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Berkley 10lb XT is a good standard. Both in precision trolling guide and most line counters. Most of my line counters are digital and can be set to a specific line.

Should be ok with mono sizes of 8-20 lb. However you can calibrate your self.
run out a 50 feet and measure against a tape measure. Repeat every 50 feet or so than you will be able to convert to actual unit.

Hope that helps

ps even with the digital it is a good idea to check against a tape measure.

mikebossy
08-01-2011, 11:30 AM
someone correct me if i'm wrong but line counters basically decide amount of line out by the location of the the 'thing' your line runs through on the reel, the thing that goes back and forth across the reel as you let line out, or take line in, to evenly distribute the line on your reel,

line diameter should have nothing to do with it, u must remember a linecounter tells you how much line you have out, NOT how deep your lure is running

mikebossy
08-01-2011, 11:31 AM
as stated in he thread before mine, if its digital all bets are off, probably need to calibrate

horsetrader
08-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Cabela's Depthmaster® II Linecounter Trolling Reels
Model Gear Ratio Line Capacity (yds./ lb. test) Quantity Price
DM20A 5.1:1 290/14, 230/18, 210/20

DM30A 4.0:1 510/15, 420/20, 310/25

DM45A 4.0:1 580/20, 430/25, 330/30

DM15A 5.1:1 330/10, 290/12, 240/14

Don't know if this will help but it's all I could find

huntsfurfish
08-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Should have also mentioned each color of leadcore is 30 feet long.
When I am using leadcore on my counters I have a known leader length and may have a 1 to 3 color section of lead core followed by mono or superline backing. Count the backing get total and you know the distance back.

My leadcore counters are all mechanical counters.
2 with 1 color, 2 with 2 colors and 2 with 3 colors plus two full with leadcore. Duals of each so that a partner has the identical setup if needed.

huntsfurfish
08-01-2011, 11:41 AM
as stated in he thread before mine, if its digital all bets are off, probably need to calibrate

All line counters need to be calibrated.
And Precision trolling guide will help you with depths. It will get you in the ball park but you will have to adjust.

Line counters help so you can repeat your "depth"

PS leadcore is better at slower speeds. It is very speed dependant.

Geezle
08-02-2011, 08:13 AM
someone correct me if i'm wrong but line counters basically decide amount of line out by the location of the the 'thing' your line runs through on the reel, the thing that goes back and forth across the reel as you let line out, or take line in, to evenly distribute the line on your reel,

line diameter should have nothing to do with it, u must remember a linecounter tells you how much line you have out, NOT how deep your lure is running

Right, but the levelwind goes back and forth based on the turns of the spool. If the spool is full, one rotation will put out more line than if the spool is closer to being empty. With the big thick leadcore line it gets close to the spool a lot quicker than a thinner "regular" line would. I think?

I know the linecounter doesn't tell me how deep I'm running, but I used the counter on the downrigger when we weren't moving to see just how out to lunch the counter on the reel was. The counter on the reel said I had about 85 feet of line out when the downrigger was only 60' down with it.

If I would have known before that each color on the leadcore is 30' then I would have been okay. Good times with untested gear! :lol:

tacklerunner
08-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Jay, I'll be getting a box this week and will send you what I promised you as soon as it lands.

TR

Geezle
08-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Jay, I'll be getting a box this week and will send you what I promised you as soon as it lands.

TR

Cool, can't wait to test it out! :cool: