PDA

View Full Version : Walleye?

YoteStopper
08-01-2011, 04:31 PM
I am new to walleye fishing and was at Travers res today, the problem is the fish kept stealing the shiner off my jig.....tried using a piece of soft plastic grub to hold it, but every couple casts my bait would be swiped. Should I get some stinger hooks? Or jigs with long hook shanks? Was fishing off the dock in the P.P. Are the Gulp baits better, maybe a bit more durable?:confused:

mulecrazy
08-01-2011, 04:48 PM
I don't cast with minnows at all. I find for my rigging, they are too soft and most of the time it is not a fish that knocks them off. Try the Gulp alive minnows, much easier to keep on. Or if you prefer real minnows, just toss them on the bottom and leave them there, many times this is more productive anyways.

horsetrader
08-01-2011, 05:12 PM
I don't cast with minnows at all. I find for my rigging, they are too soft and most of the time it is not a fish that knocks them off. Try the Gulp alive minnows, much easier to keep on. Or if you prefer real minnows, just toss them on the bottom and leave them there, many times this is more productive anyways.

x2

npauls
08-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Try letting them eat the bait a bit longer and don't set the hook right off the bat. I find when I am getting short bit or the bait swiped that I wait it out until I feel solid weight on the line before setting the hook. It has greatly increased my hook up percentages. A lighter long fine wired jig head will help to give a better hook up to and the fish won't feel as much weight from the jig while inhaling it.

Big Red 250
08-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Use a longer shanked jig and put the point thru both eyes and into the back. I couldn't find any in the stores, so I started making my own. What color of jighead do you like. PM me your address and I'll send you one if I have that color. Or try smaller minnows.

chubbdarter
08-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Your minnows SUCK!!!!.....no go go gadjit hook will fix that.....get some top qaulity bait.

Poor bait falls of easy and eyes will pick at and not commit to poor bait