PDA

View Full Version : Cyber Stalking and Bullying

Sundancefisher
08-02-2011, 08:10 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberstalking

Cyberstalking is the use of the Internet or other electronic means to stalk or harass an individual, a group of individuals, or an organization. It may include false accusations, monitoring, making threats, identity theft, damage to data or equipment, the solicitation of minors for sex, or gathering information in order to harass. The definition of "harassment" must meet the criterion that a reasonable person, in possession of the same information, would regard it as sufficient to cause another reasonable person distress.[1] Cyberstalking is different from spatial or offline stalking, however it sometimes leads to it, or is accompanied by it.[2]

I was reading a thread earlier and started to wonder...why on Earth do some people decide a great past time is to stalk or bully someone online is necessary? Do they really gain enjoyment from this negative behavoir?

This problem behavoir is not currently listed in the regs as a no no. Should this be spelled out and enforced?

I don't want this to become a bashing thread on a few individuals but rather we need to address this as a community. The negativity exuding from a few drives people away from the general fishing community and this is not beneficial for anyone.

Therefore in my humble opinion we need to voice our desire to AOF and each other that this behavoir is not to be tolerated.

Cheers

Sun

doetracks
08-02-2011, 08:23 AM
Why do we need another law?? Wouldn't cyber stalking be in the same category as harassment or utterting threats?

In any case, it CAN be a problem and certainly don't dispute that. I do, however, have some concern when it comes to regulating the internet as a whole. For private sites (such as AOF or other message boards), the administrators can make the rules and we follow them, or face a ban. THAT is fair.

Sundancefisher
08-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Why do we need another law?? Wouldn't cyber stalking be in the same category as harassment or utterting threats?

In any case, it CAN be a problem and certainly don't dispute that. I do, however, have some concern when it comes to regulating the internet as a whole. For private sites (such as AOF or other message boards), the administrators can make the rules and we follow them, or face a ban. THAT is fair.

I agree with what you are saying...unfortunately it seems that some people may not realize what they are doing is wrong when it is not added.

Maybe just a simple change is needed to make it clear to certain people?

"Profanities, racism, flaming, bullying, cyber stalking, general harassment or other belittling remarks made toward other message board users will not be tolerated and will result in the suspension of message board privileges."

doetracks
08-02-2011, 08:35 AM
I agree with what you are saying...unfortunately it seems that some people may not realize what they are doing is wrong when it is not added.

"Profanities, racism, flaming, bullying, cyber stalking, general harassment or other belittling remarks made toward other message board users will not be tolerated and will result in the suspension of message board privileges."

I agree with that.

Frankly NOBODY should have to deal with bullying of ANY sort. I've seen it quite a bit on AOF, and honestly (now that I think about it), there *is* a bit more here than on some of the other forums I read.

Takes a LOT of moderation and I sure don't envy those that have to do it. People can just be jerks.

sheephunter
08-02-2011, 08:37 AM
Lots of internet tough guys everywhere....if you have a problem, report it to the mods and I'm sure it will be dealt with.

ishootbambi
08-02-2011, 08:40 AM
i think the mods do a pretty good job around here. please no pm's as i am not going to divulge details....but the situation im most familiar with was handled very well. the mods got to the bottom of things, someone is no longer welcome here, and a police investigation was launched. the only thing i will say publicly is that it was a job well done by the guys here.

Okotokian
08-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Just tell a mod. I can't imagine they would'nt deal with it pretty quickly. This is a privateboard. They can and have banned people for a multitude of reasons.

horsetrader
08-02-2011, 09:11 AM
I think the rules are already in place it just a matter now of reporting it if the mod don't know about it they can't address it.

The Fisherman Guy
08-02-2011, 09:11 AM
I believe that if it is written into the messageboard rules, then it is a posted rule that is to be abided by the users of this forum. Any breach of the clearly posted rules is unquestionable grounds for disciplinary action by the moderators.

It's not just about bullying; stalking can be just as invasive.

Redfrog
08-02-2011, 09:23 AM
We don't need more rules. Actually we shouldn't need any rules. With a few exceptions we are adults and do know what behavior is acceptable. Putting it in a list won't change anything.

People know they are over the line.Sometimes it's in the heat of the moment and after sober second thought things get patched and we move on.

We've all met people we won't hang with, why would the internet be different?

The mods get paid the big bucks:)to monitor the board and deal with problems. There is often more behind the scenes than meets the eye.
I think they do a good job and are very tolerant here and get little thanks for it.

People just need to think before they hit enter. Face to face manners are better than internet manners.

Nait Hadya
08-02-2011, 09:24 AM

it has been tolerated,on many occasions. it just depends on witch side of the debate your on...

Sundancefisher
08-02-2011, 10:01 AM
it has been tolerated,on many occasions. it just depends on witch side of the debate your on...

We have all been involved in heated and emotionally charged and/or passionate debates and got carried away. I believe if you asked those involved...most times if they are in thick they are enjoying the jousting. However...there is another darker side where the attacks are purely personal...where individuals seek out posts just to attack...and where they attack on other posts without the others involvement. Strange behavoir for sure and easily recognized and should not be tolerated IMHO.

Sometimes people don't recognize the negativity they exude until they look in a mirror. Granted adding cyber stalking and bullying to the AOF penal code :) may not change their behavoir...maybe at least they will learn what they are doing is not only odd anti social behavoir but that it serves no purpose but to destroy what they appear to have likely joined for viewing and posting pleasure.

doetracks
08-02-2011, 10:39 AM
...someone is no longer welcome here, and a police investigation was launched....

I'm guessing this is someone that keeps popping up over and over ad nauseum, new names but same old crap.

No details needed, I'm pretty sure I know who it is anyways.

Badback
08-03-2011, 12:22 AM
I think the rules are already in place it just a matter now of reporting it if the mod don't know about it they can't address it.

I have found that the mods are good at monitoring the threads and pull the plug when needed…I was also told to address one of the mods as “Sir” and he will know who told me to call him that…

HunterDave
08-03-2011, 12:59 AM
Therefore in my humble opinion we need to voice our desire to AOF and each other that this behavoir is not to be tolerated.

So, you have a fan do you? :evilgrin:

But seriously, I'm relatively certain from what I've seen and heard on this forum that the mods take the issues that you mentioned very seriously. Allot of times members are suddenly banned and I've read things from the mods stating that we don't know what goes on behind the scenes. My interpretation of that is that it probably resulted from something said to someone in a pm. Anything inappropriate posted on threads can be reported and is removed periodically.

My advice to you is that if something like what you mentioned is happening to you, then you should bring it to the mod's attention and let them deal with it. I haven't experienced any of it so...........

Unless of course you are referring that grown men with differing opinions chucking poop at each other over a certain topic (ie Quality Trout) constitutes bullying then I wouldn't want to see that change. That's what makes AO magic. :)

MountainTi
08-03-2011, 03:28 AM
Children can be vulnerable to cyber bullying, but isn't this the Outdoorsmen (and of course women) forum? It's the internet, suck it up buttercup. Some threads can get heated, but if you can't handle a little bashing from time to time, take up a different pasttime, like gardening.

winged1
08-03-2011, 07:28 AM
is this a bit of political posturing to manipulate anothers position? One thing this board has taught me is that there are no prequalifications in being a hunter,sportsmans, or outdoorsman. There's plenty of sheep's clothing in this place.

sheephunter
08-03-2011, 08:24 AM
Children can be vulnerable to cyber bullying, but isn't this the Outdoorsmen (and of course women) forum? It's the internet, suck it up buttercup. Some threads can get heated, but if you can't handle a little bashing from time to time, take up a different pasttime, like gardening.

LOL...I agree Ti but it's unfortunate that some can't seem to seperate the internet from real life. I know many posters on here, myself included, that have had threats of violence, attempts to effect their employment and a host of other things. I think when someone gets to that point, they really need to take a look in the mirror and decide if they really should be involved in a messageboard. I have no idea who most people are on here and I like it that way. It's a great place to have some discussions, some possibly even heated but when people can't seperate that from real life, well then the mods should and from what I've seen do step in. The anonimity does breed some tough guys though....lol Overall, I'd say Rob and the mods do an admirable job keeping things sane. If someone feels they are being bullied, report it and I suspect it would be dealt with.

Sundancefisher
08-03-2011, 11:35 AM
So, you have a fan do you? :evilgrin:

But seriously, I'm relatively certain from what I've seen and heard on this forum that the mods take the issues that you mentioned very seriously. Allot of times members are suddenly banned and I've read things from the mods stating that we don't know what goes on behind the scenes. My interpretation of that is that it probably resulted from something said to someone in a pm. Anything inappropriate posted on threads can be reported and is removed periodically.

My advice to you is that if something like what you mentioned is happening to you, then you should bring it to the mod's attention and let them deal with it. I haven't experienced any of it so...........

Unless of course you are referring that grown men with differing opinions chucking poop at each other over a certain topic (ie Quality Trout) constitutes bullying then I wouldn't want to see that change. That's what makes AO magic. :)

LOL...NO...while I would never admit it in public...I quite enjoyed our verbal sparing. You are a fun guy to debate with...but I never said that.:snapoutofit:

Sundancefisher
08-03-2011, 11:37 AM
LOL...I agree Ti but it's unfortunate that some can't seem to seperate the internet from real life. I know many posters on here, myself included, that have had threats of violence, attempts to effect their employment and a host of other things. I think when someone gets to that point, they really need to take a look in the mirror and decide if they really should be involved in a messageboard. I have no idea who most people are on here and I like it that way. It's a great place to have some discussions, some possibly even heated but when people can't seperate that from real life, well then the mods should and from what I've seen do step in. The anonimity does breed some tough guys though....lol Overall, I'd say Rob and the mods do an admirable job keeping things sane. If someone feels they are being bullied, report it and I suspect it would be dealt with.

Exactly...heated debate is one thing. It is another when an odd individual feels compelled to trash you on threads you are not on...sends crazy scary PM manifestos, attacks without provocation and throws slander and innuendo around like sun screen.

Fun is fun...but there is a line where it can be odd.

Some guys can appear to be an outstanding citizen and volunteer at an executive level...probably nice to chat with at a meeting...yet when they seem hidden behind a post...and PM can go psycotic.

Okotokian
08-03-2011, 12:05 PM
but if you can't handle a little bashing from time to time, take up a different pasttime, like gardening.

Conversely, if you want to provoke people and pick fights, screw up your manhood and go down to your local bar to do it with someone face to face. I, and I suspect most of us, come here for information and interesting conversation, not to have names and venom spewed at me by some socially-crippled knuckle-dragger.

doetracks
08-03-2011, 01:36 PM
...I know many posters on here, myself included, that have had threats of violence, attempts to effect their employment and a host of other things. ...

Are you kidding me?? REALLY?? That's crazy!

I have to agree with your next comment, wholeheartedly:

... I think when someone gets to that point, they really need to take a look in the mirror and decide if they really should be involved in a messageboard...

If a poster deliberately seeks out another poster to belittle them on various threads, at any opportunity, and THEN goes so far as to continue in a PM - it's gone WAY too far.

Time to turn off the computer, walk away, and find another hobby.

sheephunter
08-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Are you kidding me?? REALLY?? That's crazy!

LOL...yup. Had a guy once tell me if he knew where I lived he'd drive right down and kick my butt. I PM'd him back my addy but he never showed up...lol

Had to get a lawyer to deal with another. There's no figuring some people out. Thankfully the mods dealt with and in one case keep dealing with them. I know a few others that have had the same experiences.

I really enjoy this board but at the end of the day, some people do need to realize that it is just the internet. I've never really felt the need to threaten anyone physically or call their boss and whine about what they said on AO.....I'd guess most posters here are in the same boat. The garbage eventually gets thrown out with the trash!

Hats off to the mods!

lilsundance
08-04-2011, 06:32 AM
if anyone has a problem with a stalker etc tell us mods. and we will monitor it. Remember some people are just paranoid and think everyone is out to get them, while some think a debate is bullying. Above all keep it off the board and let us mods handle it.