PDA

View Full Version : Advice on making my own spinner rigs

Ace
08-02-2011, 09:36 AM
I’m tired of having pike break off my spinner rig I attach to my bottom bouncer when I'm after walleye. I’ve always bought the standard packaged spinner rigs from the stores.

I want to make my own with tougher fluorocarbon leader material.

Does anybody have any tips, suggestions, what to use for line and hooks.

Thanks for the advice.
Ace

Dust1n
08-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Well Dont cheap out on anything
Get some Good old PLine. Flouro and Some mustad circle hooks in red(im sure it dont do much after 14feet)

chubbdarter
08-02-2011, 10:22 AM
pike will be a issue if you dont go to wire...some of the sevenstrand stuff is pretty thin.

I just accept few bite offs but try to avoid pikey type areas

14lb vanish
ssw owner hooks
northlands spinner components
wordens smilies

npauls
08-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Make sure to snell the hooks properly. I found out the hard way at newel and lost quite a bit of spinner rig gear when I started tying my own. I know how to snell I just must have missed a step while tying them all up.

Like darter said go with a 12-14lbs test mono or fluoro line and it will cut down on the amount of pike bite offs and will also be thick enough to stop your rigs from getting nasty twists like a thinner line may do. I like to tie the same rig with a fluoro and a mono because fluoro sinks and mono floats so if you are wanting your rig really close to the bottom run fluoro and if you want it a bit higher run the mono. I don't think it is a huge difference but I have noticed some days that one rig will out fish the other.

My buddy ordered me a bead kit from cabelas and it does the trick for now. It was cheap and came with quite a few different colors in 2 sizes. I also always run the northland blades. I am going to be picking up some xps blades while I am in Calgary on the 17th and will try them out to see how they do. Once you get into tying them you will be addicted to trying all different kinds of patterns. Last year I tied way to many rigs and ended up cutting them all apart and retying a dozen or so this season.

Teamprotz
08-02-2011, 12:47 PM
I use 17lb Silverthread excalibur and still get cut off , if you're that concerned use some Powerpro braid for your rigs.

alodar
08-02-2011, 01:54 PM
The cut offs wont stop until u go for wire leaders ive had many a pike slice right through my 30lb floro u get less cut offs with floro but they still can cut it

RavYak
08-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Use a short wire leader(6-9"), won't scare fish away and gives protection from pike. You can do something similar to this

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/esoxv/P3260336.jpg

Or just tie a swivel right close to the spinnerbait and hook into it(haven't tried this yet but would probably help with the leader getting tangled on spinner when casting, happens a little bit with above method)

chubbdarter
08-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Use a short wire leader(6-9"), won't scare fish away and gives protection from pike. You can do something similar to this

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/esoxv/P3260336.jpg

Or just tie a swivel right close to the spinnerbait and hook into it(haven't tried this yet but would probably help with the leader getting tangled on spinner when casting, happens a little bit with above method)

Nice pic........but i think the OP is talking spinner rigs not spinnerbaits...i could be wrong

Rick.
08-02-2011, 07:00 PM
I use 12lb. floro and every once and a while a walleye will cut the line. Don't just use blades. I've been using smile blades and spin and glows and catching more on those than metal blades. They spin at slower speeds as well. Last few trips I haven't even tried a metal blade. Sure do agree with the use of circle hooks. Makes a real difference IMO. Have fun and don't be afraid to be creative. Michaels craft store will sell you a whole lot of assorted color beads for cheap and the walleye don't seem to notice they are craft beads. Rick.

RavYak
08-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Nice pic........but i think the OP is talking spinner rigs not spinnerbaits...i could be wrong

I have never used a spinner rig, didn't realize they were 2 separate things lol...

Freedom55
08-02-2011, 09:23 PM
I’m tired of having pike break off my spinner rig I attach to my bottom bouncer when I'm after walleye. I’ve always bought the standard packaged spinner rigs from the stores.

I want to make my own with tougher fluorocarbon leader material.

Does anybody have any tips, suggestions, what to use for line and hooks.

Thanks for the advice.
Ace

The Fishin' Hole carries a complete line of "Falcon" brand 'colorado blades' and floats plus a super pack of 3600 plastic beads in a variety of colors. Size 3 blades and size 5 blades are your best choices. That does not mean size 4 as a comprimise. Sometimes the thump required will come from a willow leaf type blade so have a few handy. Use a clevis that allows you to change blades.

Use Size 4 bait hooks in red or any color you chose. Learn to snell two hooks onto 14 lb Vanish or Seaguar fluorocarbon leader material. Check Utube for a brief tutorial on that procedure.

Make your leaders at least 6' long with a swivel for a connection onto the bottom bouncer or pencil sinker. 9' long at least if you are Lindy rigging. (a lindy uses a single bead and titanium bell sinker and a single bait hook 9 or 10 feet back). This allows the leech to 'swim' naturally, trolled at less than 0.5 mph. Circle hooks are a plus here because they are self setting, done right.

Wobble trolls or spin-and-glows also work but are bulkier on your wheels.

With luck the pike will bite off only the trailing hook and you will save your blade for the next tie. Blades range from $0.40 (bulk) to $0.80 (pkg'd) each, beads a penny and floats are a few cents cheaper than blades. During the tournament (including pre-fishing) we competed in on the July long weekend I went through 50+ crawler harnesses. That is close to $75.00 worth of rigs made at home as opposed to $175.00 store bought. We probably released 75-100 pike in 40 hrs of fishing, per boat.

This is a new hobby for me so I hope you find some usefulness in this information. Good luck, and if you go to a craft shop for beads, get black. Get ready to drop at least a hundred at the fishinhole for your first "starter kit".

Free

Ace
08-03-2011, 07:56 AM
Learn to snell two hooks onto 14 lb Vanish or Seaguar fluorocarbon leader material. Check Utube for a brief tutorial on that procedure.

Thanks Freedom. Learning to tie the 2 hooks is certainly one of my biggest concerns.

Would using a heavier line (ie. 30 lb Searguar leader material) help prevent bite offs, or does it get too hard to tie? Do you know what size line you can use before they won't go through a bead?

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Ace

npauls
08-03-2011, 08:31 AM
You could try 30lbs but I think it may be pretty hard to tie.

I think you would be pretty safe to use whatever lbs test you wanted without having to worry about it fitting through the beads. The ones I have look like they could fit 100lbs test if you wanted.

Geezle
08-03-2011, 08:40 AM
Thanks Freedom. Learning to tie the 2 hooks is certainly one of my biggest concerns.

Would using a heavier line (ie. 30 lb Searguar leader material) help prevent bite offs, or does it get too hard to tie? Do you know what size line you can use before they won't go through a bead?

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Ace

I'm not a walleye rigging guy, but I do use heavy line to snell my hooks for sturgeon. I sometimes use 30lb Big Game fluoro leader material, and I will say it's a PITA to tie, but you can still do it. If I don't feel like screwing around with the fluoro then I'll use 40lb Big Game mono, which is not nearly as stiff and is way easier to tie. Both will still go through the eye of the hook - the 40lb mono just barely on smaller sized hooks.

Ace
08-03-2011, 08:50 AM
I have never used a spinner rig, didn't realize they were 2 separate things lol...

Yes, I use a spinner rig like these. It's common to use when you're using a lindy rig or bottom bouncer when fishing for walleye. I usually run a minnow on it, or sometimes a night crawler or leech.

http://www.thefishinhole.com/imagesProducts/big/3866586.jpg

http://outdoorprostore.com/pics/jbVentilatorSpinnerRigBladeSizeColorado4spinner.jp g

Ace

bobalong
08-03-2011, 11:46 AM
If you are targeting pike I would either pick up some titanium rigs or just buy some titanium and tie your own. I have been using these for years, you dont need very many as they never break.
The packaged ones come with all the crimps open, you can slide the one on the end off and put whatever beads, blades, spin n glows etc that you want and then crimp. The hooks are the same way, the crimps are open, move them to whatever spacing you want and then crimp them. They work equally as well on walleye.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/IMG_0738.jpg

308 man
08-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Get a nail not tyer and use what ever line you want I use 30lb. Buy beads and blaeds in bulk and make them look real nice and as some days use shinny and some days dull coulers. Worms leaches minnows beaf hart bacon plastic worms ect.

chubbdarter
08-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Im not sure what knot you guys use for tandem rigging or what size hooks you use. Theres no way i can get 30lb test thru the eye of my walleye hooks once, let alone twice that is required for the snell knot i tie

npauls
08-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Hey Darter what type of snell do you tie? I have never seen one where the goes through the eye twice and I am interested to check it out and maybe tie up a few of that style snell tonight.

I just got home from sherburn where me and the old man pulled blades most of the day and hammered perch and eyes. Ended up with 4 legals that were all released to be caught another day and I only lost one rig to a pike this time. I do have a few to retie though that were beat up pretty good by the eyes I caught today.

chubbdarter
08-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Hey Darter what type of snell do you tie? I have never seen one where the goes through the eye twice and I am interested to check it out and maybe tie up a few of that style snell tonight.

I just got home from sherburn where me and the old man pulled blades most of the day and hammered perch and eyes. Ended up with 4 legals that were all released to be caught another day and I only lost one rig to a pike this time. I do have a few to retie though that were beat up pretty good by the eyes I caught today.

im not sure how to describe it in a post...but its the same rig i use for rigging hoochies too.It allows the exact placement of the second hook, unlike some methods that make you estimate the gap between hooks. Im betting i could walk you thru it on the telly. I dont see it on youtube
Its not the knot i use if i dont have both tag ends of the line..eg tying hook direct to line thats on a rod and reel

Good to hear you had a great day

skidderman
08-03-2011, 09:35 PM
The Fishin Hole sells rolls of light braided wire. I've been making mine out of them for years. The only problem is that after time they might get kinked but that is minor compared to losing everything. You can either tie the ends or you can buy sleeves and crimp with special pliers.

chubbdarter
08-03-2011, 11:03 PM
K Nate here goes.

1 take a out turned eye octopus hook and grasp it between your thumb and index finger near the bend , hook point up.With left hand

2 take your line with right hand and pass it thru the eye from the bend to the eye....having it lay beside the hook shank. Pull it thru so only a 1 inch tag hangs at the bend of the hook and the rest has exited out the eye

3take the long tag and circle back and pass it thru the eye again from the bend to the eye...only leave a 1 inch tag exiting the eye....now you will have formed a circle with the line and be pinching the shank of thehook and double fishing line.

4 take the line(right hand) which has formed a circle nearest the eye and start wapping it back 6 turns.....grasp everything tightly

5 pinch with your thumb and index the double line the 6 wraps and the shank of the hook

6 now with your right hand pull the tag, all the while pinching the wraps, line and shank frimly.....draw till tight.

7 slide on another hook to exactly where you want it and repeat

Ace
08-04-2011, 09:24 AM
This is the video I've seen that best shows how to tie a double hook rig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYrzLnWA-HM

See ya
Ace

chubbdarter
08-04-2011, 11:51 AM
This is the video I've seen that best shows how to tie a double hook rig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYrzLnWA-HM

See ya
Ace

i find that knot recoils too easily with a bigfish and comes unravelled with flourocarbon