PDA

View Full Version : Fishing alone...

Xiph0id
08-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Who fishes alone in the mountains.
I've got bear spray, bangers, bells and a Big-ole-knife.
Never fished alone and not sure if it would be wise.
I suppose it would be different depending where you are.
Iève read that latter in the year is safer as the bears are more worried about eating and not as grumpy as when they first come from their winter naps.

Also Iève thought about bringing my dog although itès not big it would be noise and some company. But I read in the journal the other day that in Banff they were turning back any hickers that were less than 4 people/bear spray or who had a dog. I thought a dog would help? No?

Do you fish alone?

Dust1n
08-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Ya i fish the mountain alone most times and only once iv been chased by a bear.
But you should be fine. i dont bring any of that bangers or bells but i do usaly walk a little loud. bears this time of year should be more interrested in the berrys and saskatoons comming out.

pickrel pat
08-02-2011, 10:33 AM
id be more worried about a self inflicted injury on the side of a mountian than bears while fishing alone. be careful.

Rock Doctor
08-02-2011, 10:45 AM
I fish alone in the Mtns quite a bit. Only ever had one issue, I was fishing a Creek for Grayling. When I caught fish, I would wap 'em on the head and toss them behind me. At one point I heard a crunching noise, right behind my back, turned around, and there was Yogi, sitting up like a dog, waiting for the next fish.........Let me tell ya, I made it across that creek without getting my boots wet:scared0018:. Bear left shortly after I stopped feeing him, and I was able to go back for my pack, but now I do keep a little closer watch around when I stand next to a babbling creek.

RD

Xiph0id
08-02-2011, 10:47 AM
It'll never happen to me! LOL
Thats actually my GF's worry, that I'll fall or something.

id be more worried about a self inflicted injury on the side of a mountian than bears while fishing alone. be careful.

slivers86
08-02-2011, 11:12 AM
For the dog, be careful... There are pro's and con's...

If its a large dog (Malmute or shepherd size) good idea, anything smaller is PREY. Sure, they will alert you to something... but you have to keep the dog tied or it'll be gone (most of them) every time a sound happens in the woods, scaring all fish from the area... Just bring spray and watch down wind.. keep your head on a swivel :)

chubbdarter
08-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Warden doesnt allow me to fish alone.....not sure who she is protecting though.

Xiph0id
08-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the info. My dog is smaller.

For the dog, be careful... There are pro's and con's...

If its a large dog (Malmute or shepherd size) good idea, anything smaller is PREY. Sure, they will alert you to something... but you have to keep the dog tied or it'll be gone (most of them) every time a sound happens in the woods, scaring all fish from the area... Just bring spray and watch down wind.. keep your head on a swivel :)

Itsmyfishingshow
08-02-2011, 11:21 AM
i usually clap when they tell me theyres a bear around. if one found me id be snack sized. as for falling off the side of the mountain some plyometrics should do the trick. p90x does a good one.

leggacy
08-02-2011, 02:28 PM
im in the same situation.... bring bear spray. i think a dog could provoke a bear. i'm heading out alone in a couple weeks to fish camp and hike in mountain lakes. i'm excited to test my self but kinda nervous because i have never done it before overnight. but i know im going to be fully prepared. the feeling of solitude is worth going alone i think. no one to tell you what to do

In banff its just one trail along lake minnewanka i think that you must be with 4 people and carry bear spray. this is because a lot of berry bushes are in that area.

Xiph0id
08-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Should be fun.
Hopefully everything goes well for you.

im in the same situation.... bring bear spray. i think a dog could provoke a bear. i'm heading out alone in a couple weeks to fish camp and hike in mountain lakes. i'm excited to test my self but kinda nervous because i have never done it before overnight. but i know im going to be fully prepared. the feeling of solitude is worth going alone i think. no one to tell you what to do

In banff its just one trail along lake minnewanka i think that you must be with 4 people and carry bear spray. this is because a lot of berry bushes are in that area.

Okotokian
08-02-2011, 02:52 PM
I often fish alone in the mountains or foothills. If it's not in a park I'll usually take the dog along off leash, mainly for fun, but figure he could be a bit of an early-warning system. Also have bearspray on my hip and my SPOT. I think it's more likely I'll fall and hurt myself or get lost than be attacked by a bear, but I'm prepared for both. I always send an "I'm OK" SPOT message when I arrive at my fishing destination or change locations so my wife knows where I last was if I don't come home.

slivers86
08-02-2011, 03:10 PM
i often fish alone in the mountains or foothills. If it's not in a park i'll usually take the dog along off leash, mainly for fun, but figure he could be a bit of an early-warning system. Also have bearspray on my hip and my spot. I think it's more likely i'll fall and hurt myself or get lost than be attacked by a bear, but i'm prepared for both. I always send an "i'm ok" spot message when i arrive at my fishing destination or change locations so my wife knows where i last was if i don't come home.

spot???

Scott N
08-02-2011, 03:24 PM
spot???

Here's what he's talking about.

http://www.findmespot.ca/en/

RavYak
08-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Only bring a dog if you are willing to sacrifice it otherwise you are just making a dangerous situation worse. Might help make noise to keep the bears away but if you do run into one the dog will just look like a snack and will likely provoke the bear when you should be trying to back away slowly.

Stinky Buffalo
08-02-2011, 07:14 PM
...and the last thing you want is Rover coming running back to you at full tilt with an angry bear on his heels...

fishead
08-02-2011, 07:22 PM
I fish alone lots but am careful about where I go. Along with bear spray I now bring an air horn than can be re-charged with a small Bike pump. I figure the air horn might help with bears and also if I get stuck I can sound it off and eventually someone might hear it.

BGSH
08-02-2011, 07:32 PM
most of my friends dont fish so i go alone all the time, not worried at all, i have never camped by myself though that should be fun, looking forwards to it, that way you dont releye on anybody elese you can do what you want when you want how you want, goodluck

leggacy
08-02-2011, 08:20 PM
yeah thats the problem i wish some of my buddies were more into fishing and being in the backcountry....

honker_clonker
08-02-2011, 09:15 PM
It sucks packing it, but I bring my 12 gauge. Had to use it 2 weeks ago on a grizz. Started getting huffy 20 yards awayso I put the first one high and it ran away. Lead bear spray gets my nod. 8 km from the truck by myself down a road with me being the only tracks in for a while made my decision easy.

BobLoblaw
08-02-2011, 09:20 PM
I was fishing a creek alone on Saturday when I came across these tracks.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5299/p7300257.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/707/p7300257.jpg/)

I already had my bearspray on my chest; my head was definitely on a swivel after seeing those tracks!

Fish were eating dries, though, so I couldn't just leave!

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4719/p7300261.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/204/p7300261.jpg/)

alacringa
08-02-2011, 09:50 PM
I do it often. Bear spray holster goes on my wading belt. Have run into a few bears in the mtns, but not while fishing. Carry bangers while hiking, but not usually while fishing. Just something else to keep track of.

TheFishHunter
08-02-2011, 10:49 PM
I have had quite a few encounters with bears when I was alone and found they were more scared of you then you were of them and they just wanted to get out of there and as long as you gave them space they were on their way

billycap
08-03-2011, 01:30 PM
almost all my summer fishing is backcountry solo and i find that id prefer gun friendly areas. it seems to be not the fishing time where bears cause a problem its the camping night time visits i hate. You get alot more action when you go solo... its like if they can smell just one person and want to see what ya got. I do find that 9 times out of 10 the will do a big circle around your camp before coming in and if you choose a spot where they cant go all the way around you they will abort a cooler raid. Also camping right beside a creek or fast moving river is a bad idea... a chance of a face to face goes way up when all the sound is drown out by rushing water. Id prefer to snuggle up to the cold steel of a rifle than a extra sleeping bag any day plus i never met a bear that hung around after you release the thunder stick so its the peace of mind i enjoy

greylynx
08-03-2011, 08:06 PM
almost all my summer fishing is backcountry solo and i find that id prefer gun friendly areas. it seems to be not the fishing time where bears cause a problem its the camping night time visits i hate. You get alot more action when you go solo... its like if they can smell just one person and want to see what ya got. I do find that 9 times out of 10 the will do a big circle around your camp before coming in and if you choose a spot where they cant go all the way around you they will abort a cooler raid. Also camping right beside a creek or fast moving river is a bad idea... a chance of a face to face goes way up when all the sound is drown out by rushing water. Id prefer to snuggle up to the cold steel of a rifle than a extra sleeping bag any day plus i never met a bear that hung around after you release the thunder stick so its the peace of mind i enjoy

x2 Billy
Good post.

Jimmyjjj
08-03-2011, 08:24 PM
I fish alone quite a bit. I never really worry about black bears, in the bush only grizzlies and cougars scare me. If I know I am going to be in cougar/grizzly country I usually take my 12 gauge... more for my wife's sake than my own (doesn't do me much good on the shore in a case).

I am positive that dogs help. I don't know what it is about dogs, but I have yet to see a bear come close when I have a dog (even a border collie).

I have had a grizzly stick around after I fired 3 shots 10 feet above its head. It was a scary time for me. It just stuck in the bush pacing and making a kinda grunting noise. It was a bad walk back... kinda like being scared of the dark all over again.

On the lighter side... I love this sign: http://www.conradaskland.com/blog/2008/07/bc-fish-and-wildlife-bear-warning/

fishstix
08-03-2011, 08:34 PM
My sheltie comes with me most of the time. He's an early warning system. A few weeks ago he got in between a small black and me. They sniffed each other before the black saw me and took off. Hueston stays right under my feet when i fish so he dosent miss any of the action. He alerted me when the bear came. I also carry bear spray and cry out a big Dave Hestor 'yeeepp' every few minutes.

Sold!

Paul C
08-03-2011, 08:40 PM
I fish alone quite a bit. I never really worry about black bears, in the bush only grizzlies and cougars scare me. If I know I am going to be in cougar/grizzly country I usually take my 12 gauge... more for my wife's sake than my own (doesn't do me much good on the shore in a case).

I am positive that dogs help. I don't know what it is about dogs, but I have yet to see a bear come close when I have a dog (even a border collie).

I have had a grizzly stick around after I fired 3 shots 10 feet above its head. It was a scary time for me. It just stuck in the bush pacing and making a kinda grunting noise. It was a bad walk back... kinda like being scared of the dark all over again.

On the lighter side... I love this sign: http://www.conradaskland.com/blog/2008/07/bc-fish-and-wildlife-bear-warning/

Thats really funny...thx for sharing..

leggacy
08-03-2011, 10:52 PM
i think i should invest in these "bear bangers"

Speckle55
08-03-2011, 11:19 PM
I live in Hinton and have fish over 40 years alone in the mountains and never had a issue

u have a better chance getting hit by a car or lightning or your partner lmao.. but if you feel better take your bear spray or bells or gun then do it .

if you have no stress then you have to be fishing enjoy:sHa_shakeshout:

Tyangelo
08-03-2011, 11:50 PM
I'm assuming most bear country is in AB's Prov. Parks, no? Just out of curiosity, where are you guys camping where it's legal to bring firearms?

leggacy
08-04-2011, 12:32 AM
elbow-sheep wildland, defs bear country... but having spray doesnt worry me except at night. im more worried about cougars jumping on the back of my neck while hiking or fishing :scared0015:

BGSH
08-04-2011, 12:32 AM
are there any other remote places in western alberta to camp and fly fish other then the forestry trunk road? going very soon to the trunk road and cant wait, going alone to :)

tbone616
08-04-2011, 12:33 AM
I fish alone in the foothills and mountains all the time. Like some others mentioned earlier not many of my friends find it as enjoyable as i do but have never had any problems. I always carry bear spray on my belt, a knife on my shoulder and a few emergency items in case I for some reason have to spend a night or two out there. Thought about getting a gun but I figure if I surprise a bear and he (or she) decides to charge I'll be chow before I get it unslung and besides hiking and wading all day would be a real chore with a shotgun strapped around my torso. I see it like anything in life, yes there are some risks involved although minor you just have to be prepared, for bears or a accident. I'm thinking I am going to invest in a spot but I will always leave a note for the ole lady of where I am going and what time I should be home so if something does happen at least someone knows where to find me, or my corpse. :character0053:

tbone616
08-04-2011, 12:37 AM
are there any other remote places in western alberta to camp and fly fish other then the forestry trunk road? going very soon to the trunk road and cant wait, going alone to :)

There are tons of places to go. My advice is grab a Backroad Map Book and spend a little time with it and Google Earth, then hit the road and start exploring!

BGSH
08-04-2011, 12:39 AM
well said, and thankyou for the advice, i will defenantly pick a back road map up

Okotokian
08-04-2011, 09:08 AM
There are tons of places to go. My advice is grab a Backroad Map Book and spend a little time with it and Google Earth, then hit the road and start exploring!

Those are great map books for anyone who wants to hike, ski, canoe, hunt, etc. I also bought the GPS version for my Garmin. Much better local coverage and detail than Garmin's own topo maps.

Tezma
08-08-2011, 01:07 AM
bring a flare gun.

Rascal4now
08-08-2011, 03:11 AM
I have not had the op to go to the mountains but I live to fish alone. Just love it. I take my dog and she's rotti cross. Guess it doesn't matter what breed if it makes a bear mad though. I like her company. Take care. Sounds like you are thinking it through well.

tacklerunner
08-08-2011, 09:52 AM
It'll never happen to me! LOL
Thats actually my GF's worry, that I'll fall or something.

That's what I used to think. Fished alone a lot! Until I fell a few weeks ago and broke my elbow. It was nice to have someone with me. Now I'm re-thinking fishing alone but there is something more special when it's just you and nature. Be careful and be prepared.

Redfrog
08-08-2011, 10:30 AM
I like a dog with me. Early warning and distraction. The right dog will have the savvy to put flight to the bear without getting everyone into a wreck.

I've used the bear spray and may start packing wasp spray. It is much easier to aim and doesn't fog the whole area.

Lornce
08-08-2011, 11:17 AM
I've fished the back country for over 50 years, had a few close encounters but nothing serious, enough to make me careful. Bear spray is a good idea, a firearm is much slower. As far as dogs go I've seen the scenario many times. Dog ranges out and finds bear, bear chases dog, dog runs to master for help diving between his legs with bear in tow. Result can be interesting to say the least.

I am much more cautious about other humans out in the back county then bears.

Rockyman
08-08-2011, 08:08 PM
I fish alone most of the time. I have had one very close encounter with a grizzly that could have gone very wrong. Fortunately, it didn't and I was able to walk away.

Last week I came across the bear in the photo below about a 3 minute drive away from my truck. I was driving out after a good day of fishing. Nice to have seen him from my truck instead of on the river.

I always carry bearspray and have practiced using it. It's in a proper holster. I also use a small marine air horn that I use before going through bushy areas. I stay out in the open on the river unless it's unavoidable and then I make lots of noise before going into the forest or a bushy area.

I would agree with most people - the drive up is usually the riskiest part of the day.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/RockyMark/Photos/Blackstone20110804003copy.jpg

Xiph0id
08-08-2011, 08:11 PM

As the other guy said. Lots of different maps out there and google earth.
Also check out maptown, they sell topo maps of all of alberta.

Xiph0id
08-08-2011, 08:14 PM
That's what I used to think. Fished alone a lot! Until I fell a few weeks ago and broke my elbow. It was nice to have someone with me. Now I'm re-thinking fishing alone but there is something more special when it's just you and nature. Be careful and be prepared.

I was careful with myself but.....

Ran into 1 grizz, 2 deer, 1 mountain sheep and a bunch of FISH!
Saw countless other animals too but I was within 10 ft of the above mentioned.

Dust1n
08-08-2011, 09:29 PM
I fish alone most of the time. I have had one very close encounter with a grizzly that could have gone very wrong. Fortunately, it didn't and I was able to walk away.

Last week I came across the bear in the photo below about a 3 minute drive away from my truck. I was driving out after a good day of fishing. Nice to have seen him from my truck instead of on the river.

I always carry bearspray and have practiced using it. It's in a proper holster. I also use a small marine air horn that I use before going through bushy areas. I stay out in the open on the river unless it's unavoidable and then I make lots of noise before going into the forest or a bushy area.

I would agree with most people - the drive up is usually the riskiest part of the day.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/RockyMark/Photos/Blackstone20110804003copy.jpg

thats an awsome photograph

Woolly Bugger
08-08-2011, 09:35 PM

Looks like a tag of some sort in the right ear.

Rockyman
08-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Here is a cropped version of my grizzly photo. Can't quite make out what the tag says.

I was really fortunate to have gotten this photo. When I'm out on the back roads I have gotten in the habit of keeping my camera handy with my 70-200 2.8 lens (with a 1.4 teleconverter) and set to speed priority (1/250). I've gotten some other great photos by doing this.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/RockyMark/Photos/Blackstonegrizportrait.jpg

Daceminnow
08-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Here is a cropped version of my grizzly photo. Can't quite make out what the tag says.

I was really fortunate to have gotten this photo. When I'm out on the back roads I have gotten in the habit of keeping my camera handy with my 70-200 2.8 lens (with a 1.4 teleconverter) and set to speed priority (1/250). I've gotten some other great photos by doing this.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/RockyMark/Photos/Blackstonegrizportrait.jpg

great shot Rocky. i'd rather view grizz bears from the comfort of my pick-up too. had a close sow & cub encounter this past week-end with the family in tow, thankfully no situation. did you report your siting?

grizzly@WillmoreWilderness.com

Dace