PDA

View Full Version : Fishing rod eater

raw outdoors
08-03-2011, 11:44 AM
So iv been at work for a month and haven't been home till a few days ago I was cleaning my fishing stuff up and noticed a little pile of sawdust at the end of my cork handled rod so I stopped and took a closer look and inside the handle I could see a little worm just a chomping away I shook him out of there and he was brown with a white belly and about a 1/4 in long wish I would have got a picture. Am glad a caught him by the time I was home next all my rods might have been piles of dust.

BeeGuy
08-03-2011, 12:13 PM
A Dermestid larvae would be a likely culprit.

They'll eat the feathers and fur off your flies too!!!

stc77
08-03-2011, 08:41 PM
take that little worm and use it as bait... go catch yourself a walleye or perch or somethin. teach him and his buddies a lesson.

trapshooter
08-03-2011, 08:44 PM

Yup, that it. They are a pain in the...

Alberta Bigbore
08-03-2011, 09:49 PM

Yup, that it. They are a pain in the...

arent those the larve of the beetle used to clean animal skulls for European mounts?

BeeGuy
08-03-2011, 11:30 PM
The dermestid is a common pest beetle whose larvae will infest many different dried goods.

They are also known as museum beetles for their savaging of museum specimens, terrestrial vertebrate, and especially, entomological collections.

They'll eat damn near anything.

Not sure about cleaning a fresh carcass tho, I suspect those would be Silphids.

Dgirl
08-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Those things seem to really like cork though - really did a number on some instruments our family had in storage.