PDA

View Full Version : Fort Peck reservoir

cdkeim
08-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Does anyone have any experiance or tips on fishing Fort Peck Montana. Planning a couple day trip over the Labour day weekend and finding good info on the reservoir id difficult. I can't seem to find a good topographical map of the lake or any tips or articles online with the wheres and hows to catch fish on this large lake. Hoping to go after walleye primarily, but will spend some time on lake trout and salmon. Any help would be appreciated.

chubbdarter
08-03-2011, 08:29 PM
last year was the first time i missed icefishing the missouri breaks in 6 years and i regret i missed the trip with all my american buddies.
We fish out of Hells creek during the ice season.
Im hoping to get there this fall and fish with team NoDak.

Sorry i couldnt help you....im guessing you'll have a great trip.....everything is big in that Res. and the variety is mind blowing. If i rememeber correctly there is over 50 species.

Wildlife is crazy too antelope and yotes everywhere

Good luck

cdkeim
08-04-2011, 08:09 AM
thanks! I am really looking forward to it and spending time with my two boys. gets them away from their computers!!

freeones
08-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Make sure you come back and give us a report and some pics.

Ft. Peck is on my bucket list, but I REALLY want to get there sooner than later.

cdkeim
08-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Absolutely! With so many types of fish, it is going to be hard to decide just what to fish for each day!

Gary K
08-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Any one have any info on lodging there? me and a work buddy are looking to go down this winter. perhaps rent a cabin on the lake or perferibly a heated hut on the lake.
any one have any lodging lonks to share? i cant seem to find any.

chubbdarter
08-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Any one have any info on lodging there? me and a work buddy are looking to go down this winter. perhaps rent a cabin on the lake or perferibly a heated hut on the lake.
any one have any lodging lonks to share? i cant seem to find any.

the missouri breaks is a huge body of water.....where are you thinking of going?
I can call my friends in ND and ask if they have any recomeendations for where your headed.

we camper it on the ice

Gary K
08-04-2011, 12:08 PM
i was also thinking of just hitting the ice, i imaging tents/campers/huts are good for a few days out there without any hassel. looking in around Glasgow perhaps? open to options really. jsut lookign at getting on the ice!!!

chubbdarter
08-04-2011, 12:23 PM
i was also thinking of just hitting the ice, i imaging tents/campers/huts are good for a few days out there without any hassel. looking in around Glasgow perhaps? open to options really. jsut lookign at getting on the ice!!!

not sure about tents....its nasty windy some days. I actually saw a herd of antelope get blown across the ice one year, broken legs and all...was a sick sight. Talk about a yote buffet for the next few days.

I will call buddies tonight and ask about accomodations for Glasgow

Gary K
08-04-2011, 12:45 PM
thanks chub, hit me wit ha pm and let me know. maybe we can tag team the res this winter.

chubbdarter
08-04-2011, 01:39 PM
thanks chub, hit me wit ha pm and let me know. maybe we can tag team the res this winter.

Its a awesome place....my first trip there, there was 14 of us. Before i could get set up there was a triple header, a 23lb pike....a 16 lb laker and a 9lb walleye.....the Breaks have never disapointed me.
We fish out of Hells Creek, I'll let you know when im headed that way.
I just invited Mike but he's changed and has got to plan the Gay pride parade this year...so he is out, guess thats what happens when girls wont go out with him

Gary K
08-04-2011, 02:01 PM
hahaha, where do you stay out there? and do you use an outfitter or a guide? or anything? my idea situation would be renting a heatead hut on the ice i can sleep in...

chubbdarter
08-04-2011, 02:05 PM
hahaha, where do you stay out there? and do you use an outfitter or a guide? or anything? my idea situation would be renting a heatead hut on the ice i can sleep in...

naah the guys i fish with have it pegged down pretty well.....i stay in my friends camper parked 50 feet from our hole...the camper is on land though

mikeo2
08-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Its a awesome place....my first trip there, there was 14 of us. Before i could get set up there was a triple header, a 23lb pike....a 16 lb laker and a 9lb walleye.....the Breaks have never disapointed me.
We fish out of Hells Creek, I'll let you know when im headed that way.
I just invited Mike but he's changed and has got to plan the Gay pride parade this year...so he is out, guess thats what happens when girls wont go out with him

Youre right chubb, girls wont go out with me, only women can handle me. As for the gay pride parade thing, well everyone has a cause they like to donate to and help out, I figured this year I would help you and your brothers/drag queens out with your Gay Pride parade seeing as you're going to be so busy being the parade marshall of it.

chubbdarter
08-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Youre right chubb, girls wont go out with me, only women can handle me. As for the gay pride parade thing, well everyone has a cause they like to donate to and help out, I figured this year I would help you and your brothers/drag queens out with your Gay Pride parade seeing as you're going to be so busy being the parade marshall of it.

Geebuss Mikeo2....I wasnt even talking about you, i posted Mike

mikeo2
08-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Geebuss Mikeo2....I wasnt even talking about you, i posted Mike

Sorry, I just get so fired up sometimes when old backwards thinking people talk about the alternative lifestyles, come to the 21st century and open up your mind.

Back to fort Peck. I have had a couple buddies go down once, I believe they got a guide, cant remember out of where though, I will check with them and get back, I remember them chaing lakers for a day and walleye for a day though and they did well, no lunkers of each but lots of 'eyes between 5 and 9 pounds.

cdkeim
08-04-2011, 04:27 PM
As far as places to stay at Fort Peck, you have the lakeside motel near the dam at fort Peck or the old historic fort Peck Hotel right in Fort Peck. Neither one are right on the water. Otherwise you need to drive around to Hells Creek Marina on the far side of fort Peck to get cabins/motel rooms that are close to the lake. Not alot around there for accommadations.

Gary K
08-04-2011, 04:32 PM
yah i got no issue driving, id like to stay on the lake though. Would LOVE if there was heated cabins on the lake for a relativily cheap cost.
or even a snowmobile rental company? or a house to rent? a house on the water would be ideal come to think of it

wow that was jumbled.

fishing101
08-04-2011, 05:05 PM
if you go stay at hell's creek marina. They are right on the lake nice camping areas if you have a trailer. Some rattle snakes there and they have anti venom on site. The water level is up 35 feet. Highest I have seen it in a long long long time. All the shore line brush is flooded. It is one of the best smallmouth fishery I have ever been to. Some areas to check out are the narrows, the dry arm, and snow creek. Any hump or point will have fish on it. If you want to know anything let me know. I know there is a bass fishing tournament there sept 22.

Gary K
08-24-2011, 11:24 AM
so anyone got any more info on ice fishing accomidations? i cant seem to find ANYTHING on the web.

mikeo2
08-24-2011, 02:02 PM
google hells creek, monatana, it should point you to the marina and some accomodations.