PDA

View Full Version : Advice on fishing/camping out west

carterM
08-03-2011, 09:08 PM
So my girlfriend and I are wanting to go out west camping and fishing this weekend and I'm looking for some advice on where to go. The area we're looking at is somewhere along the Trunk road anywhere between Nordegg and Hinton. Neither of us know anything about this area (I know it's a rather large area...), hence needing help finding a spot :) We're ok with random camping so campsites aren't a huge issue.

As far as what kind of fishing we're looking for, I'd like to try my fly rod on a stream for the first time (so it'd be nice if the river wasn't extremely hard to fish) but my girlfriend will just be spin-fishing. Would be nice to go for some trout, species of trout isn't important. It'd be nice if we could keep a couple for some dinner but it's not a huge issue if we can't. I'm not looking for honey holes, just maybe "try this river downstream of hwy x" or something to that effect.

Anyways, any help would be GREATLY appreciated. PM's are fine if you don't want to tell the whole world. Thanks in advance guys.

Carter

carterM
08-04-2011, 08:18 AM
just a bump

BGSH
08-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Hey, ok when you hit Nordegg go to the town itself i know you want some beer so after you get the beer and gas up head to the trunk road ;) if you go souther of Nordegg you will hit up the NSR or ram falls, beautiful places with the NSR having crystal blue water, nice place for pictures at that waterfall, if you head north you will first see two small ponds the west Nordegg trout pond and the east Nordegg trout pond, watch out for swimmers everyone swims there, but if you wanna catch nice sized hatchery fish for the campfire fish here and keep a couple, you can fish both ponds, i would try the small pond the west one, then head north many random camp sites not many people go up there so there should be many camping spots available, pembina forks is a great camp site, another great one is Lovette campsite which overlooks the small Lovette river which holds all wild fish of all kinds, Use small spinners, or a flying black ant hatch for the fly rod, fish all streams and have a great time, take many pictures, there is also abraham lake which flows into the nsr just west of Nordegg, your gonna love my favorite road in alberta for fishing and wildlife, tonns of elk and deer, if you head north of hinton there are also many rivers to fish manily for arctic grayling, what a blast

carterM
08-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Thanks Shawn. It's been a while. I just found out this morning why you haven't answered any texts for a month :) Been fishing at all lately?

mikeym
08-04-2011, 09:45 AM
the trunk road from Nordegg to Hinton has so many great streams and lakes to fish that it would be very hard to narrow it down for you. but since you will be fly fishing and the gf spinning and you want to keep some for supper, i would suggest you stay at Fairfax lake just south of Robb. beautiful little lake with nice rainbows and brookies in it that get pretty decent in size. another nice thing is there is lots of nice streams and other lakes in the area to hit up also. Misiki lake, thunder lake, the lakes at the coal mines (Lovett, Silkstone and the two they opened up this year) just to name a few. there is the Pembina river, Cardinal River, Brazeau river right there also. plus many smaller tribs that produce nicely also.

that is my suggestion for you.

rgds
Mike

carterM
08-04-2011, 11:38 AM
the trunk road from Nordegg to Hinton has so many great streams and lakes to fish that it would be very hard to narrow it down for you. but since you will be fly fishing and the gf spinning and you want to keep some for supper, i would suggest you stay at Fairfax lake just south of Robb. beautiful little lake with nice rainbows and brookies in it that get pretty decent in size. another nice thing is there is lots of nice streams and other lakes in the area to hit up also. Misiki lake, thunder lake, the lakes at the coal mines (Lovett, Silkstone and the two they opened up this year) just to name a few. there is the Pembina river, Cardinal River, Brazeau river right there also. plus many smaller tribs that produce nicely also.

that is my suggestion for you.

rgds
Mike

Thanks Mike. Ya I realise it's a huge area. I think we're probably going to stay down near Nordegg. I'm thinking the Blackstone and the Shunda would be good spots to try. But I hear they got a pretty big storm in that area a couple days ago so they might both be pretty high and dirty.

BGSH
08-04-2011, 12:16 PM
shunda creek is one of my favorite creeks to fish, if you fish by the hiway it might not be that great of fishing you know but if you walk in along it for hours you will find many awsome pools to fish, Lovette lake is my favorite lake, its quite a walk though, and yea lol sorry i havent texted you back, will do later this week :D hope you have a blast out there, never caught any arctic grayling south of hiway 16 though but i hear they are out there

Jasonp
08-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Where are the browns, cutties and bulls? And shawn can u list 5 or 6 flies we shoild try and also 3 or 4 lures and size? Call me tonight still

Jasonp
08-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Oh and whats in the nsr near nordegg

BGSH
08-04-2011, 02:02 PM
everything is in the nsr by nordegg, you name it it is there