PDA

View Full Version : Spinner blades on Pickerel Rigs

FishlessFool
08-03-2011, 11:00 PM
I'm going to try putting some different spinner rigs on my pickerel rig for some extra flash and noise. Does anybody use or reccomend this? I read that spinner rigs are common with bottom bouncers so I figure it should work with a p-rig, even though the guy at the shop gave me a funny look.

I'm curious to know what other people think and will appreciate any tips or advice.

Dust1n
08-03-2011, 11:02 PM
I'm going to try putting some different spinner rigs on my pickerel rig for some extra flash and noise. Does anybody use or reccomend this? I read that spinner rigs are common with bottom bouncers so I figure it should work with a p-rig, even though the guy at the shop gave me a funny look.

I'm curious to know what other people think and will appreciate any tips or advice.

i wouldnt its just another waste of $ if you get snagged. if anything id put beads because you dont have to move it to attract fish

Geezle
08-03-2011, 11:49 PM
In a current, yes...in standing water, no.

Dale S
08-04-2011, 06:28 AM
I do in the rivers it works well.

Freedom55
08-04-2011, 07:17 AM

A pickeral rig was designed mainly for vertical presentation. If I was you I would stop wasting my money on these bits of tinsel and I certainly would not spend another penny on trying to make them more presentable. Fish think they are ugly and as you get experienced you will see them as ugly also.
The main idea with bait fishing is to use invisible tackle so the fish sees only the bait. These metal contraptions are designed to part new fishers from their money. $1.98 at a time.

Try a drop shot or better yet, your basic still fishing rig. Both cost nothing to tie.

My buddy uses a pike rig/perch rig/jack rig/pickeral rig (u pick) almost exclusively and he gets outfished 50-1, every time! He cannot figure out why. His excuse, although he will never admit it, is that he does not know how to tie any knots beyond a double overhand "granny" knot. A piece of junk like the ones you are referring to allows you to fish without ever having to learn how to tie a knot.

Drop shot: buy a pack of "drop-shot" hooks. Tie one onto your line about 5' from the end using a plain palomar knot, ending with the gap facing up. Pull the tag end down through the eye after the knot is cinched and pull. You will note that the hook will remain perpendicular to the line. Attach a small weight to the end, after trimming to the desired distance off the bottom. Substitute the weight with a jig head and you have the perfect walleye rig that is all business. Or use a floating jig head instead of a dropshot hook. Tied on the same way (palomar knot with the tag end pulled thru' the eye from the top). Add minnows

Still fishing rig: Run a slip bobber up your mainline. Measure roughly 12" and make a loop on your main line. Tie a small weight to the end of the line. Pull a snelled leader/baithook through the loop and then through itself and notice that the leader length will have the worm just above the sinker, a sinker that may sink into the mud on the bottom and allow the worm to sit on the surface of the mud. Or not. Measure 18' above the first hook and repeat. To adjust the depths/separations of the hooks you must re-form the loops and try again. Better idea; get a pack of plastic connecters that allow you to attach the leader to your line but will also allow for variations on depth without retying.

If you look at the hooks that are included with these rigs you will notice that they are junk. This should be a clue that the whole thing is junk. I stopped using these when I noticed that the setting action of the rod moved the rig but did not move the baited hook until it was too late.

You will catch more fish if you stop using trinkets.

Free

0liver
08-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Pretty much what he said. P-rigs are death contraptions. Still fishing in general I frown upon, but it has its place.

slip sink with a stopper 12-18'' of line after that, a hook and inflated worm. boom. you got something with about 200x more sensitivity and almost as much simplicity.
drag super slowly across the bottom, or just let it sit. if all is well the worm will be suspended around a foot-ish off the bottom [depends how much lead line you leave] right under a hungry fish's nose.