PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton murder capital of canada

great white whaler
08-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Whats the root cause ? i think its do to all the road construction and free crack pipes, what do you think ?

schian
08-04-2011, 05:32 PM
definitely the free crack pipes...:bad_boys_20:
but i actually found out the other day that those numbers are including the murders out at the max (prison) and the ones where someone is killed by the cops, and even one that is included actually happened in 2006 but it just went through the courts this year so it counts for this year apparently...
pretty crazy stuff tho

huntinstuff
08-04-2011, 05:33 PM
A holes

Check each victim name

Check each accused name

Its self explanatory for the most part

Bear Grylls
08-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Drugs and alcohol.

Edit - I also know the first murder of the year was at a Somalian restuarant/by a Somalian. Have they been responsible for more homicides?

hal53
08-04-2011, 05:42 PM
A holes

Check each victim name

Check each accused name

X a whole bunch........

Kurt505
08-04-2011, 06:28 PM
A holes

Check each victim name

Check each accused name

Ain't that the truth! Not high enough as far as I'm concerned, but it's a good start. It's like introducing wild cougars into a playground. DON'T BLAME THE COUGARS!

Or maybe it's just me.

RandyBoBandy
08-04-2011, 08:06 PM
A holes

Check each victim name

Check each accused name

X 100..they've brought their troubles from home back here and have the audicity to say that the EPS aren't doing enough! SCREW THEM! :mad0030:

Nomad
08-04-2011, 08:10 PM
I would like to see the number go alot higher as long as it's bad guys killing bad guys.

220swifty
08-04-2011, 08:12 PM
I would like to see the number go alot higher as long as it's bad guys killing bad guys.

We have a self culling invasive species, why are we bitching again?

Big Daddy Badger
08-05-2011, 12:49 AM
City of Champions... gotta be number one at something or that sign is just a bunch of self inflated hooey and a waste of tax dollars...

New Hunter Okotoks
08-05-2011, 01:09 AM

X2. If these criminals want to kill each other;let them.

Grizzly Adams
08-05-2011, 07:32 AM
You've got to wonder, if you take those self destructing Somali's out of the statistics, how does it stack up?
Grizz

Killerb
08-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Because alot of people get caught in the cross fire. In edmonton I'm scared to tick off any chinese or japanese people due to all the gang violence.

slivers86
08-05-2011, 07:49 AM
A holes

Check each victim name

Check each accused name

I fully disagree. Not going to point fingers at what you are implying (homeless, racial, etc) but its everyone. Not just one group. If you look at the names, I'm sure there is BIG MIXES.

camshaft
08-05-2011, 08:02 AM
Killerb

U may want to rethink ur last post.
Edmonton's not quite
Known for the 'Japanese' gangs haha

Lol

sdimedru
08-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Some perspective?

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/David+Staples+Edmonton+hardly+Canada+murder+capita l/5208616/story.html

horsetrader
08-05-2011, 08:34 AM
I fully disagree. Not going to point fingers at what you are implying (homeless, racial, etc) but its everyone. Not just one group. If you look at the names, I'm sure there is BIG MIXES.

Osman Barre has buried 20 young Somali men in Edmonton in the past four years.

Okotokian
08-05-2011, 12:57 PM
A holes

Check each victim name

Check each accused name

That's a good point, but it doesn't answer the question. Calgary has lots of folks with names like that. Why is Edmonton having the problem?

Okotokian
08-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Not just one group. If you look at the names, I'm sure there is BIG MIXES.

You are sure because you have looked at the names, or you just believe that is what you would find if you did? Remember, 'Stuff's an Edmonton cop.

huntinstuff
08-05-2011, 02:31 PM
That's a good point, but it doesn't answer the question. Calgary has lots of folks with names like that. Why is Edmonton having the problem?

Calgary got the "nice" ones
Edmonton didnt.....
Lol

I dont actually know why we are having such a year here. All i do know is that we have a ton of creeps in this city. A ton.

eastcoast
08-05-2011, 02:34 PM
You are sure because you have looked at the names, or you just believe that is what you would find if you did? Remember, 'Stuff's an Edmonton cop.

this is a little backdated but look at the last names.

http://www.lastlinkontheleft.com/e2000.html

moosemad
08-05-2011, 07:25 PM
I think the problem is the kids in Edmonchuck are better shots the the ones in Calgary. All the guys in Calgary that are gut shot don't make it to the murdered list.

BGSH
08-05-2011, 07:49 PM
deadmonton sux, hate this city, no one is safe in this city, this city is a time bomb.

fordtruckin
08-05-2011, 07:59 PM

X2. If these criminals want to kill each other;let them.

As already mentioned, because innocent people get caught in the cross fire. Not to mention when these criminals go to a hit, who says they "ALWAYS" get the intended target? I remember when I lived in Anchorage a gang shot up a mother and her daughter at the friggen mall because they had a black SUV just like the individual they were after.

Osman Barre has buried 20 young Somali men in Edmonton in the past four years.

Everyone mentions these are Somali men. My question is are all these murderers and people being murdered immigrants? I know many people who through their family history are from 3rd world countries but are first or second generation Canadians. Just because they are Somali doesn't mean they weren't born in Canada.

My vote is to much easy expendable money floating around. Look at all the young hollywood stars that have WAY more $$ than is good for them. They all end up in rehab multiple times or dead from an OD. Idle hands are the devils play toy!

greylynx
08-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Calgary got the "nice" ones
Edmonton didnt.....
Lol

I dont actually know why we are having such a year here. All i do know is that we have a ton of creeps in this city. A ton.

And you know what.

Hearsay tells me that it takes time away from family, hunting, fishing, camping by the individuals of the EPS who have to deal with this crap.

Not good.

FishingMOM
08-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Edmonton PD is warning the public about a woman who is a danger to the health and well being of others.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/08/05/police-warrant-hiv.html

Gust
08-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Edmonton is the distribution supply channel for Coke going to the rigs, some young gang members who want to get up the ranks get to shave and move the drugs through the communities there for extra cash, some are weak with too much ego and so forth and so forth. It's like a port city, like Vancouver is to heroin. I know I'll get flamed for making this statement.

sureshot
08-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Edmonton is the distribution supply channel for Coke going to the rigs, some young gang members who want to get up the ranks get to shave and move the drugs through the communities there for extra cash, some are weak with too much ego and so forth and so forth. It's like a port city, like Vancouver is to heroin. I know I'll get flamed for making this statement.

You hit the nail on the head.

Andy

Kurt505
08-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Edmonton PD is warning the public about a woman who is a danger to the health and well being of others.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/08/05/police-warrant-hiv.html

There ain't enough beer in Edmonton for me to ever worry about that.

great white whaler
08-06-2011, 05:08 PM
There ain't enough beer in Edmonton for me to ever worry about that.

Lots ha deperate people out there'''''''''id rather pam and here 5 sisters..........Thanks for the reminder .

bb356
08-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Whats the root cause ? i think its do to all the road construction and free crack pipes, what do you think ?

I don't know anything about the murder's but they shouldn't give out crackpipes to the road crew !!! :bad_boys_20:

slivers86
08-06-2011, 06:42 PM
this is a little backdated but look at the last names.

http://www.lastlinkontheleft.com/e2000.html

hmmm... some of those names look pretty homegrown?

great white whaler
08-07-2011, 12:22 AM
I don't know anything about the murder's but they shouldn't give out crackpipes to the road crew !!! :bad_boys_20:

yes

Kanonfodder
08-07-2011, 01:11 AM
Edmonton is hardly Canada’s murder capital

Tarring city as ‘Deadmonton’ is counterproductive

By David Staples, edmontonjournal.comAugust 5, 2011

A police officer stands in front of tape near the corner of 97th Street and 105th Avenue that seals off an area where two people were stabbed, one fatally, on July 28, 2011 in Edmonton.
Photograph by: Greg Southam, edmontonjournal.com

EDMONTON - What are we to make of the high number of murders in Edmonton this year?

I’ve been trying to make sense of the issue myself, just as it has blown up into a major public controversy with at least two major hissing matches at full boil.

One fight pits Grant MacEwan University criminologist Bill Pitt against downtown community leader Mack Male.

Prof. Pitt is doing all he can to raise the alarm about the high number of murders here. As Pitt and others will tell you, Edmonton has had more murders, 34, than any other city in Canada this year. Calgary has had just three homicides so far in 2011.

Pitt, 58, a former RCMP officer turned academic, thinks a flag should be raised at City Hall proclaiming Edmonton to be Canada’s murder capital. He’s also claimed things are now so unsafe that people are going to extreme measures to protect themselves: “Everybody in this city is armed,” he recently said.

For his part, Male, a downtown resident, community leader and blogger on civic affairs, is doing what he can to raise the alarm about Pitt and fellow travellers.

In Male’s opinion, they are sensationalizing the murder rate and giving this city a bad name with all their talk about Edmonton being “Deadmonton.”

“A big thing for me is, it’s not helping Edmonton at all,” Male says of the rhetoric. “It’s really contributed to a negative image of the city.”

Male points out that Edmonton isn’t Canada’s murder capital. Since 1981, Edmonton has led the country in homicide rate five times, Montreal four times, Vancouver six times, and Winnipeg 13 times.

Male has now started up a website, Everybodyinthiscityisarmed.com, to take on Pitt and present pertinent information, such as the fact that Edmonton’s murder rate in the past decade is lower than it was in the 1980s.

Male, 27, who sits on a number of committees to improve Edmonton’s downtown, chose the title of his new blog to mock Pitt’s claim. “It’s a simple statement (from Pitt) that kind of captured the sensationalism that I feel is out there about homicides in Edmonton and about crime in Edmonton in general.”

In response to Male’s critique, Pitt admits his “everybody is armed” quote was said for effect. “Sometimes hyperbole plays a very important part,” he says of this debate. “Everybody knows that everybody isn’t armed. But in those areas where these homicides are taking place, everybody or a large majority of the people are. Because they’re afraid.”

Pitt estimates there will be at least 48 homicides in Edmonton in 2011, blowing past the old record of 39. That would give the city a murder rate above 4.00 per 100,000, one of our highest rates ever.

“This isn’t really an anomaly,” he says. “It’s an uptick of a trend.”

Action is needed, such as a crackdown on carrying knives and on the number and operating hours of liquor stores, he says. “I make no apologies of raising the public interest in this because it’s not right we have so many homicides.”

Edmonton’s heated murder-rate debate is being played out at the highest level of Alberta politics. Tory leadership contender Gary Mar says the high homicide number is unsettling and that Premier Ed Stelmach’s government fell short in combating crime.

This prompted another candidate, Stelmach’s former justice minister Alison Redford, to fire back that Mar’s critique was wrong-headed. Violent crime is down in Alberta more than in any other province, Redford said. The increased murder rate in Edmonton is concerning, but Calgary had a similar spike in 2008, with 34.

The Alberta government recently funded 100 new police officers in Edmonton, Redford said.

So it’s Pitt vs. Male, Mar vs. Redford. Who is right?

In the 1980s, Edmonton’s homicide rate was indeed higher than it is now. The murder rate has levelled off for the past 20 years at about 3.0 homicides per 100,000 people. We have a higher murder here than in Calgary, but a lower one than Winnipeg.

Sometimes our murder rate is up, sometimes it’s down, but it always levels off. I see no particular reason to be alarmed about the 2011 uptick. And, I’d suggest, most Edmontonians aren’t alarmed.

Const. Pat Tracy, 55, a member of the EPS for 17 years and the host of Cop Talk, a show about local law-and-order issues on CHED, says he’s raised the topic a few times, but it’s not something his listeners are itching to discuss. “I don’t think it’s on the radar of the average Edmontonian.”

Indeed, while these crimes have happened in Edmonton, only two of the homicides have happened south of the river, and only three have happened west of St. Albert Trail. The murders tend to happen in the same unsettled downtown and northeast neighbourhoods

Murder is a major issue for that part of the city, but not for most of it. Perhaps some of the measures suggested by Pitt, such as limiting access to liquor, need to be employed more stringently in trouble spots. And maybe, as Male suggests, we can also learn lessons from studying a city like Montreal, where the murder rate has dropped steadily and dramatically in the past 30 years.

But tarring this city as Deadmonton, as Canada’s murder capital? That’s a stretch and it’s also counterproductive.

It only gets people’s backs up.

dstaples@edmontonjournal.com