PDA

View Full Version : pontoon boat question

ORV
08-04-2011, 09:28 PM
may be picking one up on the weekend
couple of questions..
what do most of you use i,e, hipwaders,chestwaders,wetsuit?
i would have a motor so i don,t think i need to worry about the flippers
just wondering what you people with pontoons prefer.

appreciate the info.

thanks

orv.

slingshotz
08-04-2011, 09:35 PM
I wear my waders and boots sometimes but I have a standup Fishcat 10 so I've used it with just hiking boots and jeans. I only ever get an inch or two of water splashing over the standing platform.

If you have foot rests you could probably do the same thing and not have to get your feet wet. A few people have told me that they use flippers to control themselves while trolling with a motor but so far I haven't bothered to try that yet. I usually motor over to a spot and anchor or just troll with the motor and use the oars to steer, or the motor itself.

bobalong
08-04-2011, 09:38 PM
When it is warm like this, usually dont wear any type of waders, just cutoffs and crocs. When the water cools, chest waders.

Rick.
08-04-2011, 10:01 PM
If lake fishing only, and using a motor, I guess flippers are an option. If floating rivers I would leave the motor at home and use flippers. Not to cross the river with but to stay where you want to float in relation to the shore and seams. I'm sure you will enjoy fishing from a pontoon. Rick.

WayneChristie
08-04-2011, 10:17 PM
I just wear sandals, you really only get your feet wet when you are launching, if its cool I wear jeans, if its warm I wear shorts. you sit well above the water.

32-40win
08-05-2011, 01:59 AM
If you are going on lakes you will need an anchor and rope, I only use the trolling motor to travel across a lake or down to the other end or to get back against the wind, use flippers for trolling, better speed/direction control that way. And better to fight bigger fish with. and they leave your hands free. You can also use a small drift sock to slow you down when drifting with the wind, and as something of a second anchor when the wind is up a bit to slow down the anchor pivoting motion.
For a river, you need flippers to steer with or just to slow you down in areas.

Bowfloat
08-05-2011, 07:47 AM
Speaking as a owner of a pontoon rental shop I have learned the first question to ask my customers is where and what type of fishing do they want to do.

Before you purchase a pontoon you need to ask yourself the same question.

- If you intend to purchase a still water pontoon and then float the Bow I would suggest a wet suit with fins.

-If you are looking at a 11' with a casting deck I would opt for a pair of rubber boots and a Minn-Kota. No fins required

-If you are flicking flies and using a stripping net, waders are in order.

In the end no matter what type of boat you get chances are you will get everything for those just in case days. It's just a matter of time.

Also size does matter, nothing under 9'.