PDA

View Full Version : Oldman River Aug. 4

Dale S
08-05-2011, 06:21 AM
Had a good trip on the Oldman last night. The fish were biting like crazy. My wife caught 7 different kind of things that live in the water Goldeye,walleye,sauger,sturgeon,sucker,crayfish and a clam.The average size of goldeye are way bigger than normal.We were surprised when we caught the sturgeon that far upstream this late in the season.She caught it on a jighead and minnow.

WayneChristie
08-05-2011, 07:33 AM
nice fish. Im also finding the goldeyes and even some of the mooneyes are really big this year around here

npauls
08-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Hey Wayne you should keep track of your moon eye size and check what the record is. I know it isn't very big and if you get a doozy you could have the new AB record. Just some food for thought. I know I will be keeping a lookout of the ones I get on dry flies when I head out.

clarki
08-05-2011, 01:10 PM
looks like a great outing!! were you upstream of Lethbridge??

M

Guitarplayingfish
08-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Mooneye record is only like 2lbs I think Nate. Goldeye is 4.5 or something, so not a bad idea to bring a scale if your looking for a record, Ill bet there are some in there.

Dale S
08-05-2011, 04:59 PM
We have been camped at the Taber Park and going both ways on the river from there.

WayneChristie
08-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Hey Wayne you should keep track of your moon eye size and check what the record is. I know it isn't very big and if you get a doozy you could have the new AB record. Just some food for thought. I know I will be keeping a lookout of the ones I get on dry flies when I head out.

I was thinking that too, I have gotten a couple pretty big moons, Dago are there any decent shore fishing places in that area?
holy crap is this right? Ive been fairly close a couple times if thats the case.
"MOONEYE IN ALBERTA (HIODON TERGISUS)

Mooneye are closely related to Goldeye and are also a secure native species in Alberta. They tend to be scattered across the province in modest numbers and are rarely mentioned due to their close relation to Goldeye.
Zones:
Diet: insects, crustaceans, fish, frogs, invertebrates
Habitat: slow-moving rivers, lakes, ponds
Breeding: spring
Alberta Record: 1lb 2.5oz
"

npauls
08-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Hey wayne I know of a few decent spots around Taber along the river. Most of them are a bit of a hike but I have had some decent luck. I am not sure if they are all still accessible anymore but I use to fish the river quite a bit when I lived in Taber.

Pm me and I will try to help you out with what I know.

Ruger1022
08-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Is it me or is that a MONSTER cray fish??,!! Great pics