PDA

View Full Version : A stupid question

winger7mm
08-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Im sorry to say that as a fellow fisherman I have to ask such a stupid qeustion, But I just cant figure it out on my own. When re-spooling a spin cast reel how should a guy have the line spool, label down, label up, on edge with label to the left on edge with label to the right??? my line is always twisted no matter what i do. I caught a 37" 11 pound pike at park lake today, next cast had a small tangle pulled it loose and snapped my line. I just cant for the life of me re-spool my rod with out twisting my line. can some one point me in the right direction, p.s. Im sorry for asking a dumb question a guy whos been fishing for more then 15 years should know the dang answer

chubbdarter
08-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Im sorry to say that as a fellow fisherman I have to ask such a stupid qeustion, But I just cant figure it out on my own. When re-spooling a spin cast reel how should a guy have the line spool, label down, label up, on edge with label to the left on edge with label to the right??? my line is always twisted no matter what i do. I caught a 37" 11 pound pike at park lake today, next cast had a small tangle pulled it loose and snapped my line. I just cant for the life of me re-spool my rod with out twisting my line. can some one point me in the right direction, p.s. Im sorry for asking a dumb question a guy whos been fishing for more then 15 years should know the dang answer

so im clear...a closed face reel?
and do you have a short ice fshing rod?

winger7mm
08-05-2011, 09:32 PM
so im clear...a closed face reel?
and do you have a short ice fshing rod?

No not a closed face reel, and I do have many ice fishing rods, like I said I have been fishing for as long as I can remember and I know its a dumb question but I want to get it figured out, I have never lost a fish because of the twists but I have lost many lures when casting from the line suddenly going tight and breaking (it cut my trip short today cause I forgot to pack extra line) So I know I dont need much help but I would love to have my line not all twisted up lol

WayneChristie
08-05-2011, 09:34 PM
if you are using mono, try it with the spool on the floor flat, label up, after you wind a bit on, lower the rod, if the line from the spool twists, flip the spool over and reel it in from that side.

Dust1n
08-05-2011, 09:37 PM
get someone to help you out so you got your line tight. stick a pencil/cylinder through the hole in the line wheen and let your reel spin the line off tight.

dmartinez
08-05-2011, 09:42 PM
same as above,

Stick a pencil through the middle, grab the pencil with your toes on each foot,
In case you do not have a helper and a good way to keep pressure to ensure a tight spool, use the first half of the rod, from the reel, and reel it on.

Never had a tangle doing that (only time i get tangles is when I use a snap leader and spinner (go figure)

good luck

Gust
08-05-2011, 09:47 PM
if it's mono or fluoro, get a pice of leather and gently sandwhich the line as you are reeling it in with the above suggestions,, it will take a lot of the memory out of the line and reconfigure it to your spool.

chubbdarter
08-05-2011, 09:52 PM
No not a closed face reel, and I do have many ice fishing rods, like I said I have been fishing for as long as I can remember and I know its a dumb question but I want to get it figured out, I have never lost a fish because of the twists but I have lost many lures when casting from the line suddenly going tight and breaking (it cut my trip short today cause I forgot to pack extra line) So I know I dont need much help but I would love to have my line not all twisted up lol

okay a spinning reel then

first attach reel to a short ice rod unless your 10 feet tall.
Fill kitchen sink with warm baby bath water,,not hot
Toss spool of new mono in water
String it up to the reels spool.
Now with rod tip facing the spool(which will be floating flat in water) begin to reel with some tension. Your rod will be pointing direct at the drain hole. I generally hold the rod and line beside the first guide with my left and crank with my right hand
Reel for 20 turns or so, now relax the line so its slack between the guides....if it twists or even makes a motion to twist you need to flip the spool in the sink over.
wind till your at your desired fill level

This does 3 things.....it removes the memory of the refill spool.....provides lubrication for line setting in the reel.....and eliminates all twisting.

Redfrog
08-05-2011, 09:56 PM
okay a spinning reel then

first attach reel to a short ice rod unless your 10 feet tall.
Fill kitchen sink with warm baby bath water,,not hot
Toss spool of new mono in water
String it up to the reels spool.
Now with rod tip facing the spool(which will be floating flat in water) begin to reel with some tension. Your rod will be pointing direct at the drain hole. I generally hold the rod and line beside the first guide with my left and crank with my right hand
Reel for 20 turns or so, now relax the line so its slack between the guides....if it twists or even makes a motion to twist you need to flip the spool in the sink over.
wind till your at your desired fill level

This does 2 things.....it removes the memory of the refill spool.....provides lubrication for line setting in the reel.....and eliminates all twisting.

Is the process the same for a baitcaster?

chubbdarter
08-05-2011, 10:01 PM
If you must use the dry method.....jam a screwdriver thru the refill spool have a friend hold it by the business end of the driver,,,not thehandle
With him pointing it at you refill reel.....if you see twists flop the spool

Always fill a reel with the loader spool in the same position as the reel so as a example...fill a mooching reel with the filler spools edge towards you

More work...yes. but your casts will be smoother and when you fight big fish that cause you to use line you dont normally use, you'll see why this method is best

chubbdarter
08-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Is the process the same for a baitcaster?

No....when i fill level winds. i need my wife to help me. she will hold it in the water with a chopstick so the refill spool is on its edge. Like a water wheel
That way the refill spool is now paralell with the reel itself

simple way to describe it...if spool on reel is north andsouth...refill spool must be north n south.....any other way your adding a 90 to the line

Redfrog
08-05-2011, 10:31 PM
I'll give it a try. thanks.:)

WayneChristie
08-06-2011, 12:21 AM
I'll give it a try. thanks.:)

just remember to return his wife when your reel is full!

Geezle
08-06-2011, 12:41 AM
if you are using mono, try it with the spool on the floor flat, label up, after you wind a bit on, lower the rod, if the line from the spool twists, flip the spool over and reel it in from that side.

X2 for this method.

But do yourself a favor and get some braid ;)

bisonhunter
08-06-2011, 08:37 AM
For the reels you already have spooled, one tip i heard for getting rid of line twist is to let it trail out behind a moving boat. no hook or swivel or anything else, just the line by itself. let it out as far as possible, let it trail for a minute or so and then reel it back in. Of course you must have the boat or the tip is useless. hope this helps.

winger7mm
08-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks everyone for the tips, I used the help of some leather gloves. No twists and the first cast at park lake, I hooked into a 33" 14lbs pike. hahaa so thanks again for the tips
winger7mm

smitty9
08-06-2011, 03:23 PM
This seemed to work for me, when I was just getting into fishing as a teen.

Not so much a tip for winding line onto a reel, but what to do is your line is twisted in the fishing situation.

Troll the line behind the boat (You'll need a boat) with no lure attached. Just a free line, nothing on it.

Let out all the line, troll for a bit, then reel it back in.

Not a direct answer to your question, but just tip.

Smitty
P.S. I will say that when it comes to spinning reels, its tough. I'll have to try the sink method. But I have noticed that the line should come off the spool in the same direction as the bailer turns. If your bailer is reeling line in counter-clockwise, then it should come off the spool the same direction.

P.P.S. The ultimate cure for spinning reels is to go to a fishing shop and get it spun on by the machine. It has to do with the way you are able to mount the spinning reel spool to accept the line from the bulk spool. The Fishin' Hole has guys who know what they're doing...

[Edit...oops. Read the thread too fast. Didn't see BisonHunters response! Sorry!]

Kim473
08-07-2011, 04:54 AM
Always use a swivel or two on your line when fishing. And dont get the cheep ones. I always tie on a swivel and about 3 ft of line after it for the hook.

Littlejet
08-07-2011, 06:13 AM
If your line twists after fighting a fish it could be that you are reeling in while the drag is going out. Doing this will really twist up a spool, try not to reel in while your drag is going out. Just my two cents.

PS This only happens to me on spinning gear.

catnthehat
08-07-2011, 06:35 AM
For the reels you already have spooled, one tip i heard for getting rid of line twist is to let it trail out behind a moving boat. no hook or swivel or anything else, just the line by itself. let it out as far as possible, let it trail for a minute or so and then reel it back in. Of course you must have the boat or the tip is useless. hope this helps.

First time I ever saw this was 15 years ago when we were in Mexico.
Our guide had us let out the line on the rods while he was under full throttle and we trailed them for about a minute!
Cat