PDA

View Full Version : 4strk boat motor oil

Overdrawn
08-06-2011, 12:03 PM
So I have my new Merc 115 Four Stroke EFI and the for the first oil change I used Mercury Semi Synthetic 25w-40, thats what is recommended by Mercury. I love Ams oil and would like to use it. But that don't carry that weight. I did read on the back of the jug on Marine 10w-40 Full Synthetic that to use this product where 10w-40 and 25w40 is reccomended.

What does everyone else use or recommend to use. I don't want to void my warrenty.

Penner
08-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Use whatever the manufacture recommends.

Overdrawn
08-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Mercury only offers a semi synthetic blend at 60 bucks for 4litres. And 22bucks for a litre. I would much rather run a full synthetic oil for that price.

Willowtrail
08-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Check out opti 4 oil.

I use the opti 2 for my 2 strokes. not sure the prices but you can get at the lawnmower hospital in edmonton. Also a few other retailers.

billie
08-07-2011, 09:20 AM
The "W" number is the winter grade. 10W flows better in the cold than 25W. The "40" is the summer grade and you should use the same. These are just viscosity ratings (flow rates).

Check to make sure your API spec is as recommended by the the manufacturer, that IS important (CJ, CI, etc).

Overdrawn
08-07-2011, 11:17 AM
The "W" number is the winter grade. 10W flows better in the cold than 25W. The "40" is the summer grade and you should use the same. These are just viscosity ratings (flow rates).

Check to make sure your API spec is as recommended by the the manufacturer, that IS important (CJ, CI, etc).

I didn't know that thanks I understand it a little better now. Still would to know what everyone else uses.

billie
08-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Sorry, can't help much. I only have a 20HP so a litre or so is all I need and I haven't changed mine yet. Since I only need a bit I'll likely just use Merc until the warranty is over. I'll only put 20 hrs a year on it.

Overdrawn
08-07-2011, 12:33 PM
I checked out the Opti 4 oil, very interesting and looked like an outstanding product but not in the right oil weight for my motor. I have never seen that brand around but I am going to keep my eye open and try it for my Ice Auger.

I am realy interested in the Ams Oil marine oil. I have talk to some engine rebuilders in the past that told me if your going to use Synthetic use a full synthetic or regular oil never use a semisynthetic oil. For what reason I am not sure but they are very respected engine rebuilders. That is my only problem with Mercury Oil. And that it costs more than Synthetic. Probably the reason for that is that its sold at boat dealers only. I can handle the 12 dollar filter.

I want to take good care of my engine.

freeones
08-08-2011, 09:50 AM
I've never had a problem with the Amsoil products and I run them in everything, I woudn't hesitate to use the Amsoil stuff in your outboard.

Mercury cannot void your warranty for not using their oil.

dragon
08-08-2011, 02:45 PM
I've never had a problem with the Amsoil products and I run them in everything, I woudn't hesitate to use the Amsoil stuff in your outboard.

Mercury cannot void your warranty for not using their oil.

I didn't know Mercury owned a refinery? :thinking-006:

freeones
08-08-2011, 03:16 PM
I didn't know Mercury owned a refinery? :thinking-006:

Too many smart asses that are short on the "smart" on this forum lately.

cpppark
08-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Use Amsoil 10/40 marine oil in your motor. I use it in my four stroke motor and it is an excellent oil.

lilsundance
08-08-2011, 05:27 PM
The "W" number is the winter grade.

The "w" stands for weight. 10w40 is a duel weight motor oil 10 weight is when the oil is cold. It will flow like straight 10 weight oil. The 40 is when the oil is hot (normal operating temp) it protects like a straight 40 weight oil. As billie said more important is the spec the manufacturer recommends like cj,ci etc.

skidderman
08-08-2011, 08:24 PM
I would have no hesitation using amsoil but personally I would make sure my motor was broke in first. Just a side note: Quicksilver, (Mercury brand) hydraulic oil for boats. $23.00 at a dealer. Equivalent oil at Esso, under 5 bucks a liter. I wonder what brand of oil Murcury puts in their containers? I have no issue with them making a profit but come on!!!!!!!

cube
08-08-2011, 08:50 PM
If you go to "The Next Bite" website you will find an Amsoil product selector for your engine. The URL is http://www.thenextbite.com/AMSOIL_Selector
You just need to check off what manufacturer, model, and Horse power of the engine you have and presto up come the compatible products.

dragon
08-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Too many smart asses that are short on the "smart" on this forum lately.

interesting... I mean I was agreeing with your post and all?

I think we often need reminders about corporate branding and really think about where things come from. I was simply saying that Mercury can't void warranty for not using their oil because THEY DONT MAKE OIL... Like many things they put out a tender to oil producers listing their specifications (if anything special) and then choose a bidder, perhaps the lowest price perhaps the best oil. My guess is this bid may go out as often as every year or maybe more often. The packaging stays the same however the supllier could always change.

Also keep in mind that oil producers are not going to make an oil that doesn't meet manufacturer's requirements. That would not be a very good business plan and consumer's would get wind of something like that right away.

Tezma
08-09-2011, 04:43 PM
I would Call Amsoil Customer service line and ask them,
I would also call Mercery aswell