PDA

View Full Version : why yeild to emergency vehicles?

roger
08-07-2011, 10:15 AM
So, why is it that idjits dont pull over let ambulances/fire/police by?
should there be video cameras on dashes of em-ve's (or any vehicle) Then send/post the clip to RCMP to send a '$ reminder' to the registered owners who obviously refuse? pretty hard to ignore visible evidence.

sometimes its not physically possible to safely pullover (on a bridge, crowded intersection etc) thats not the issue.

what could/should be done to those who simply refuse?

rant over

ishootbambi
08-07-2011, 10:19 AM
im on board with your plan. why not....they can send you a picture of your car speeding? i would think video evidence oughta suffice as it would have a timeline of just how long someone wasnt thinking.

sureshot
08-07-2011, 10:58 AM
This is a great idea. Those extra few seconds sometimes is the difference between life and death.

Andy

Mountain Guy
08-07-2011, 11:03 AM
I'd say that its mostly because they have no clue that there's a vehicle with lites and siren following them. I think ''spaced out'' is a better term than idioot. Either way not good though..

Mountain Guy
08-07-2011, 11:06 AM
The scary thing is that when they finally realize whats going on they hit the breaks before they move outta the way....

FishingMOM
08-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Many don't care.
My sons godparents are both Paramedics.
His god father was working a call when asshat hit the bus and flipped it over. Patient, and both medics were injured. His god father sustained a broken collar bone.
So instead of 1 patient needing care there were 5

original pt
medic 1
medic 2
asshat
passenger in truck.

People need to share the road and take the time and care to ensure that they are not endangering others needlessly.

Lefty-Canuck
08-07-2011, 11:46 AM
I totally hear what you are saying! There are a lot of bad drivers out there who just don't pay any other attention than what goes on outside their immediate bubble...heck some people never check their mirrors....have loud music blaring....are texting.....are feeding their children....are eating their lunch.....shaving their faces....putting on their make-up....are staring at the car infront of them.....list goes on.

I don't know what it is but people are too caught up in their own bubble they have no idea what goes on around them, thats part of the reason they don't put over causse they are too ignorant to know whats going on.

LC

greylynx
08-07-2011, 11:53 AM
FM says people don't care, but I must question that as being the only answer to these idiots not pulling over.

Could it also be that some people "panic" in the presence of emergency lights and sounds.

With all these Hokey Pokey, Ringy Dingy driving schools theses days I wonder how people actually understand the rules of the road, much less how many even know how to understand english and the rules of the road .

This is an interesting thread.

Let's get some more emergency workers comments here.

bb356
08-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Turn down the tunes .................. rear view mirrors ???

Ken07AOVette
08-07-2011, 12:00 PM
One thing we are taught in scene management is to point vehicles into the ditch, drunks unwillingly head straight for headlights. The numbers that support this are scary.

I think people just don't think, don't care, or just do not watch.
Good thread.

elkhunter11
08-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Just how do you expect someone to notice an emergency vehicle coming?It's tough enough trying to drive and text at the same time, without having to watch out for emergency vehicles..:sign0161:

And it isn't easy to hear the sirens with a phone stuck to your ear.:sign0176:

walking buffalo
I'd love to see people getting fined for not getting out of the way for emergency vehicles!

I see it all the time in Calgary. Most people who refuse to pull over ARE aware of the emergency vehicle with lights and sirens on, they just don't give a ? . :mad3:

alacringa
Agree. While there are enough problems with the average driver, in Calgary, this (and the inability of many, to merge) is one of my pet peeves.

roger
08-07-2011, 12:22 PM
I work beside EMTs and paramedics and they tell of stories constantly about this sort of thing...people on bicycles with ipods included here.
Many of them just accept it as part of the job..they shouldnt have too.

Turn down the tunes .................. rear view mirrors ???

the older couple i seen yesterday physically looked in the mirror she looked over her shoulder to see the pretty lites and parade coming and proceeded down the road while the four police units,one rescue, fire trucks had to pass them in the oncoming lane.

albeit, they might have been pounding Rutherford at full volume, thats enough to make anyone angry
Guess im not done ranting yet!!

Redfrog
08-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Fines won't stop morons from doing stupid stuff. We need a tough love approach. Capital punishment is a win/win solution. It gets the idiots off the road and there is more room for us perfect drivers.:)

Instead of a pic from photo radar in the mail, a personal visit from the executioner with a pic and a rope.:)

Lefty-Canuck
08-07-2011, 12:27 PM
albeit, they might have been pounding Rutherford at full volume, thats enough to make anyone angry

^^^^
LOL...the hearing aid batts were worn out!

Yah this certainly isn't an age issue.....we tend to pick on the teens alot of the time but some of the seniors are part of the problem too and they are the ones who should know better!

LC

kccon
08-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Nice post, I would like to thank the a..h..e who on march 5 decided to cut in front of the ambulance then slow down and hold them up,the when the ambulance finally got past he fingered the ambulance.my wife was in the passenger seat and i was in the back. this hapened on hwy 2a between Black falds and reddeeer. my wife said she never saw such a discusting act in her life. the ambulance driver said you would be surprised how many times things like that happen. some people are just a..holes.

gitrdun
08-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Common decency appears to be a dying quality. Thankfully, everyonce in a while I still see examples of common decency for the fellow man, and a lot of them from the younger generation. But, yeah I agree with Redfrog's solution for those that have no respect.

simmered
08-07-2011, 04:22 PM
I have given the RCMP in our town a few licence plate numbers of the drivers we see not pulling over and blatenly ignoring us. They usually phone us back to say they have issued them a ticket.

I agree with the video cams in the cab. Something like the piloce ones that turn on when your master emerg switch or something. I've seen some pretty scary things. We had a guy pass us one night on the way to a MVC, thats right pass!!!! The roads were glare ice and it was blizzarding out, I couldnt believe it. I guess some peoples time is just more important

bb356
08-07-2011, 05:36 PM
I work beside EMTs and paramedics and they tell of stories constantly about this sort of thing...people on bicycles with ipods included here.
Many of them just accept it as part of the job..they shouldnt have too.

the older couple i seen yesterday physically looked in the mirror she looked over her shoulder to see the pretty lites and parade coming and proceeded down the road while the four police units,one rescue, fire trucks had to pass them in the oncoming lane.

Never said anything against Teen's !!! :)

roger
08-07-2011, 06:13 PM
BB I like a little 'disturbed' sickness myself with the subs shaken the mirror of my beater!!
age hath no bearing on adhereing (or knowing) laws.

dash camera,
with todays hi def cam and stupid huge memorys, a dash cam should run whenever the ignition is on, and when it does fill up it would just start overwriting.
no buttons to push no distractions, in fact... make it so it can only be downloaded or reveiwed with the ignition off. might even be able to wire it to a thft alarm, motion detecter and maybe snag a criminal doing criminally things.
after all how many times has a big buck crossed the road in front of you, record accidents, hit and runs, cool cars, people being stupid in a no-stupid zone, etc would all be yours,

slivers86
08-07-2011, 06:28 PM
So, why is it that idjits dont pull over let ambulances/fire/police by?
should there be video cameras on dashes of em-ve's (or any vehicle) Then send/post the clip to RCMP to send a '$ reminder' to the registered owners who obviously refuse? pretty hard to ignore visible evidence.

sometimes its not physically possible to safely pullover (on a bridge, crowded intersection etc) thats not the issue.

what could/should be done to those who simply refuse?

rant over

if an emergency responder (police, fire, ems, fish and game, etc) can get a plate number, it will be dealt with swiftly.

Failing to stop for vehicle sounding siren TSA 65(1) 3 demerits
Failing to stop following emergency vehicle too close TSA 65(2) 3 demerits

fines aren't pretty either :)

Mountain Guy
08-07-2011, 06:57 PM
I have given the RCMP in our town a few licence plate numbers of the drivers we see not pulling over and blatenly ignoring us. They usually phone us back to say they have issued them a ticket.

I agree with the video cams in the cab. Something like the piloce ones that turn on when your master emerg switch or something. I've seen some pretty scary things. We had a guy pass us one night on the way to a MVC, thats right pass!!!! The roads were glare ice and it was blizzarding out, I couldnt believe it. I guess some peoples time is just more important

This was very common when we used our old pumper truck to respond to MVA's !!
It couldn't keep the pace of the traffic flow.........kinda embarrassing :)

medicmoose
08-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Yeah my biggest pet peave here for sure. When its 2 lanes in the same direction and people pull over to the left and the right blocking both lanes rather than everyone pulling to the Right. I was passed one early feb morning driving stat to GP while delivering a baby from sturgeon lake and a rigger passed us. At the Debolt curve he lost er on some ice hit the ditch and rolled. We stopped he was ok and RC's were 5 min away so I left him there and told him the ditch was the safest place for him if hes gonna drive like that. ha ha.
PS mom and baby were both fine!

Matt

alittlej
08-07-2011, 07:27 PM
you may have seen this one allready....but some have not
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3uoVOOlT2s

mulecrazy
08-07-2011, 07:34 PM
I am sure they will pull over..... Right after they finish sending their text message.

FishingMOM
08-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Please take a moment to watch this clip.

Truck vs Ambulance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CA1-WhZ55k&feature=related

Love this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyYoBin9pOc

A great video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na6wN0N7S_0&feature=related

slivers86
08-07-2011, 08:00 PM
I remember the first day I was driving in the city of calgary. I was on a red light, ina turn lane, and a convoy of fire trucks was blazing up behind me.. I looked both ways, and ran the red light, pulled over at the other side of the intersection, and got a big honk and a wave from the guys inside :) Felt good being as I was only 15.

greywolf
08-08-2011, 12:36 AM
Its funny though, seems like if it's a police car with lights and sirens activated that for the most part people pull over, ambulance or FT, different story.

slivers86
08-08-2011, 12:42 AM
I agree, put a big bull bar on all emergency vehicles. move or get moved. nuff said

herc
08-08-2011, 12:53 AM
Ipods...... i have lost count as to how many people driving around listening to their ipod. Maybe a couple of them were wearing hands free headsets but most i see have both earbuds in and are gyrating to the music. Now how could you possibly hear a siren?????

There was also a post about not checking your rearview mirror.... about a month ago driving on the QE2 noticed a guy's rearview had broken off and he was holding it up every now and then to check behind him. If this guy can do it then it shouldn't be too hard to use it when its affixed to your windshield!!!

Great post!

slivers86
08-08-2011, 12:56 AM
Ipods...... i have lost count as to how many people driving around listening to their ipod. Maybe a couple of them were wearing hands free headsets but most i see have both earbuds in and are gyrating to the music. Now how could you possibly hear a siren?????

There was also a post about not checking your rearview mirror.... about a month ago driving on the QE2 noticed a guy's rearview had broken off and he was holding it up every now and then to check behind him. If this guy can do it then it shouldn't be too hard to use it when its affixed to your windshield!!!

Great post!

My stereo has rattled my rearview off, it falls off now and again, but I put it right back up, kind of funny :D I use my mirrors a lot though, kind of a subconcious thing to do

Tactical Lever
08-08-2011, 03:56 AM
Big cow catcher bumper, pushed off the road and disqualification from claiming insurance on it.

rhuntley12
08-08-2011, 07:11 AM
Could years ago on deerfoot was a fatality with a corpse on the road and people wouldn't let the ambulance in, they kept cutting it off trying to get by.

No excuse for sirens and lights to be on and not to yield/pull over.

fandgwidow
08-09-2011, 07:51 AM
I think that there has been a thread on this before. Obviously there are still idiots on the road that either don't know, or care what is the correct thing to do when Emergency Vehicles are coming up behind you. And of course there are the ones that panic or just don't look.
Driver education (or lack of) is partly to blame. People not having any respect left for authorities accounts for some as well. Most I think just comes from people in their own world while they drive. How many would end up at the hospital DEAD?
My solution to the problem, make them take a ride in an ambulance as a passenger. Have them strapped in and all they can see is a monitor with their vitals going down hill every time the ambulance has to slow down or wait for drivers to get out of the way.

Just remember that the people in the vehicle, whether that be working or as a patient, could be your loved one. Don't you want them to have the best chance of staying alive?

I know I will ALWAYS move out of the way when I see them in my mirror. I have been in the ambulance with a loved one :love0025:and seen the idiot drivers in action.

And if you are pulled over, good for you! Just be careful pulling back out. Don't know how many times it has been safer to lose my place in traffic than to deal with the jerks trying to be first out of the gate and back on the road.

eastcoast
08-09-2011, 08:15 AM
I had to avoid an ambulance last night, it was coming toward me on a 2 lane in the city, I pulled over to the right side and slowed down til it passed no big deal took a couple seconds.:scared0018:

kccon
08-09-2011, 01:01 PM
I think that there has been a thread on this before. Obviously there are still idiots on the road that either don't know, or care what is the correct thing to do when Emergency Vehicles are coming up behind you. And of course there are the ones that panic or just don't look.
Driver education (or lack of) is partly to blame. People not having any respect left for authorities accounts for some as well. Most I think just comes from people in their own world while they drive. How many would end up at the hospital DEAD?
My solution to the problem, make them take a ride in an ambulance as a passenger. Have them strapped in and all they can see is a monitor with their vitals going down hill every time the ambulance has to slow down or wait for drivers to get out of the way.

Just remember that the people in the vehicle, whether that be working or as a patient, could be your loved one. Don't you want them to have the best chance of staying alive?

I know I will ALWAYS move out of the way when I see them in my mirror. I have been in the ambulance with a loved one and seen the idiot drivers in action.

And if you are pulled over, good for you! Just be careful pulling back out. Don't know how many times it has been safer to lose my place in traffic than to deal with the jerks trying to be first out of the gate and back on the road.
x1000

slivers86
08-09-2011, 02:40 PM
I had to avoid an ambulance last night, it was coming toward me on a 2 lane in the city, I pulled over to the right side and slowed down til it passed no big deal took a couple seconds.:scared0018:

Can I just clarify, not to be rude.

You MUST pull over and come to a complete stop when an emergency vehicle with its lights on comes up behind you. Reason behind this, if you continue at a slow pace, you may block the area(s) that the vehicle may need to enter. Just a friendly reminder :)

camshaft
08-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Exactly!!

Problem is hardly anyone knows they must pull over and 'stop' by law.
It's amazing what u witness while going to a call. Drivers really have no clue...

eastcoast
08-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Can I just clarify, not to be rude.

You MUST pull over and come to a complete stop when an emergency vehicle with its lights on comes up behind you. Reason behind this, if you continue at a slow pace, you may block the area(s) that the vehicle may need to enter. Just a friendly reminder :)

it was coming towards me not from behind.

FishingMOM
08-09-2011, 04:06 PM
it was coming towards me not from behind.

Legally you are still required to pull over and Stop.

The only exception to that I believe is when there is a barrier (like on deerfoot) in which the emergency vehicle can not pass through.

eastcoast
08-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Legally you are still required to pull over and Stop.

The only exception to that I believe is when there is a barrier (like on deerfoot) in which the emergency vehicle can not pass through.

I see no point in stopping if the emergency vehicle is coming toward me,if I slow down and pull over they would pass me faster wouldn't they?