PDA

View Full Version : Nube fly fishing question on leaders

simmered
08-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Just wondering what the difference is between a flurocarbon leader and mono line. I know there is obviuosly a difference like the taper but aside from that is there a reason that you can't just use mono as a leader to tie from your fly line to the fly?

commieboy
08-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Just wondering what the difference is between a flurocarbon leader and mono line. I know there is obviuosly a difference like the taper but aside from that is there a reason that you can't just use mono as a leader to tie from your fly line to the fly?

Many tippets and tapered leaders are made of mono, so no, there is no problem using mono as a leader/tippet. You can build a tapered leader out of mono if you want. Just tie together progressively thinner pieces of mono. Also, check out articles on making "furled leaders". There was a really helpful thread on this forum regarding these.

Without the taper, you won't get proper energy transmission from the line to the fly, and therefore, your fly won't turn over properly.

Fluorocarbon has a much faster sink rate than mono. Hence, if you want to use nymphs or streamers, fluoro will be a better choice, but not necessary. I haven't used fluor much, but from what I remember, it still floats if you have a dry fly on.

Doc
08-07-2011, 03:52 PM
To add to what's been said, fluoro is supposed to refract light the same as water making it invisible to trout (or so they say). Since fluoro sinks quicker than mono, you'd prob want to use mono if dry fly fishing. Fluoro is also slightly weaker than mono but more nick resistant. The cost of fluoro fly fishing leaders and tippet is almost double what mono is.

FishlessFool
08-07-2011, 05:02 PM
The all fluorocarbon leaders pull my small dry flies underwater and also pulls the tip of my cheap floating line under.

I've been sticking with the mono three-pack leaders to save cash. Being a 'nube' as well, I tend to knot-up and snap off quite a few.

I've read that tying on a foot or so of fluoro tippet to the end of your mono leader while dry flyfishing can be benificial to your presentation because it will sink the last few inches of your line making it harder for fish to see it on the surface.