PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Goals

BigIrv
08-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Well, the last few years I have tried to make fishing goals for myself. Usually it entails new water and new species. This year my goals were to get out more (especially since the purchase of a new boat), 1 new species, and as many species as I possibly can. So far:
-I have gone fishing 15 times to date
-I finally caught a perch yesterday (new species)
-I have caught walleye, northern pike, perch, rainbow trout and brown trout so far this year.
By my standards, this is so far a very good fishing year. Not sure what goals I will set next year, but glad I have done well so far, with many months of fishing still left.

What goals do any of your set for yourselves every year? And, have you met
your goals for this year or are you at least on track to.

Thought this would be an interesting thread topic. Look forward to your responses!
Thanks

alacringa
08-07-2011, 04:57 PM
I don't set any formal goals, but I do want to catch Grayling and Bull Trout, and have not managed either, yet...still trying on the Bulls. Diversity of species is always something I try for, and this year, have managed Pike; Walleye; and Brook, Brown, Cutthroat, Lake, and Rainbow Trout.

Cal
08-07-2011, 05:10 PM
I've hit the point where I've caught most of the species and enough decent fish that all I shoot for is more time spent fishing. Beyond that I usualy try to spend lots of time using a new tactic, last year was texas rigged plastics and this year its drop shot. So far I havnt found anything to replace my standbys but you can never have too many tricks.

slivers86
08-07-2011, 06:15 PM
This is my first year back, and so far I think I'm doing well.

Hand full of rainbows, 1 small pike, handfull of cutts, handfull of walleye.

Now, for goals, I want to get a brook, bull and brown before season is up. Maybe head down and get into some of those pesky warm water fish.

drhu22
08-07-2011, 06:36 PM
My goals: To forget about goals, competitiveness, stress, etc, and just enjoy being out in nature for its own sake. And of course catching the occasional fish.

WayneChristie
08-07-2011, 08:10 PM
I was determined to catch my first sturgeon this summer, and have managed 5 so far. what an awesome fish, now I want to catch a record mooneye, and some more big goldeye. When winter comes (no rush!!!) I want to break my personal best pike, and maybe get into some decent walleye for a change of pace. and my first whitefish through the ice. always need more time fishing, but Im doing pretty good in that respect so far.