PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Creeks and Rivers by Rocky Mountain House Area

biggamehunter
08-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Okay, so I'm looking for information of any good spots to fish at in these creeks and rivers. Starting by traveling south on TWP rd 752 after you turn off HWY 11 and you go all the way south to TWP rd 734 and take a right or start heading west on that rd. all the way to ram falls. Now, all in this area there are great places to fish: Prairie creek, Elk creek, ram falls and many more. These creeks cross the road every 3 minutes. If you know any good spots at any these creeks could you please send me a pm or comment. Maybe you have to stop and walk 2 hours to get to the spot? That's what I like doing. Also, how's the water up there? All info is appreciated.

Xiph0id
08-07-2011, 06:10 PM
The water was low and clear in those creeks last week.
Just spent 3 days fishing it last week.

Dust1n
08-07-2011, 08:11 PM
awsome fishing small size 12 stimmy orange and ants worked well on shunda,elk and the ram. also those very tiny feeder streams had brookies.
at the north ram walk up 50 feet where the creek joins in and theeres cutts in there. shunda crek is a mess but has lots of brookies and the odd brown.
but ya lowe and clear water as mentioned

Xiph0id
08-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Why do you saw shunda was a mess?

Dust1n
08-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Why do you saw shunda was a mess?

oil spills everywhere were people were changing there dirtbike and quad oil. lots of mess in the river like tires. and quite frankly kinda scary. with the bear tracs and cougar tracs

Flyfisher87
08-07-2011, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE=Fish Hunter7;1037824]oil spills everywhere were people were changing there dirtbike and quad oil. lots of mess in the river like tires.

Really??? On which stretch? That makes my heart sink. I could think of a ton of things to say on this (on people doing the above mentioned). Will keep my thoughts to myself on this one. Did you take pictures and report what you saw by chance? Good on you for coming across it and getting the word out.

lifesaflyin
08-07-2011, 09:38 PM
oil spills everywhere were people were changing there dirtbike and quad oil. lots of mess in the river like tires. and quite frankly kinda scary. with the bear tracs and cougar tracs

as somebody who goes quading, dirt biking and fishes, I am ****ed off with this information. so ****ed in fact I think I will keep my comments to myself.

Xiph0id
08-07-2011, 09:47 PM
I saw an old rusty old drum but that was it on the shunda.

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h426/Xiph0id/Trunk122-1.jpg

Dust1n
08-07-2011, 09:55 PM
as somebody who goes quading, dirt biking and fishes, I am ****ed off with this information. so ****ed in fact I think I will keep my comments to myself.

i also dirtbike,quad and fish but people who only do the motorsports dont know the consquences they have on a stream that has a self sustaining brook trout population. a bit more population and i think the brookies will half to find a new home.

Also alot of rainbow stuff in the water from the polution

luckly i grabbed a few picks.
Enjoy.

i took a sample brought it home put it in a water solution and too see if it was oil and the substance floated to the top seprating itself from the water.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/036.jpg

Flyfisher87
08-07-2011, 10:03 PM
i also dirtbike,quad and fish but people who only do the motorsports dont know the consquences they have on a stream that has a self sustaining brook trout population. a bit more population and i think the brookies will half to find a new home.

Enjoy.

i took a sample brought it home put it in a water solution and too see if it was oil and the substance floated to the top seprating itself from the water.

If I were you FH7, get in touch with F&W in Rocky Mountain House. Give them the date, time, location, pictures and detailed description of what you saw at the scene. The offenders are more than likely long gone, but at least they will have it documented.

rocpilefsj
06-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Speaking of twp 752, does anybody know the name of the creek that runs along the random camping area prior to the trunk road and whether there are any fish in it? After the pavement ends at the husky ram river turnoff all the way down to the trunk there is a little stream that meanders, haven't seen a creek sign or anybody fishing it...

sheepguide
06-08-2013, 04:12 PM

Enjoy.

Pretty scientific study you did there!! It floated there for bash all the other users.
Not many off roaders or atv users that stop beside a creek and decide hey screw it lets dump the oil and do a change here!!

I'd say you best have actuall proof of destruction by a group before acuzing. Not saying it isn't from an atv or vehicle but your it floated test didn't show anything in my eyes. Lots of substances out there float and some look pretty oily and are 100% natural!!

My thoughts anyways but what do I know.

jaystev
06-08-2013, 05:39 PM
looks like someone sunk their ride and did a trailside change to me. You would be surprised how often I see that up near north buck. Not much can be done unless you catch em in the act. Other than carting out the contaminated soil.

tight line
06-08-2013, 06:52 PM
I see this alot in remote skaggy areas where there has been no ATV activity... Oil, gas, and methane do come to surface naturaly in areas. Cant really tell if its used motor oil from the picture, but i have been dirtbiking for over 10 years, rode with alot of people and i have never seen or heard of someone draining their oil on the trail...Funny how that grass is so green in the pic hey? Would think motor oil would kill it

tight line
06-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Speaking of twp 752, does anybody know the name of the creek that runs along the random camping area prior to the trunk road and whether there are any fish in it? After the pavement ends at the husky ram river turnoff all the way down to the trunk there is a little stream that meanders, haven't seen a creek sign or anybody fishing it...

Believe it runs into prairie. When it flooded a few years back it changed course pretty good, really made a mess...i chucked a couple little lures in it and nothing. Think your best bet would be to try to find the furthest east access point and head downstream. There is some nice little holes! Good luck

italk2u
06-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Saw on the news tonight a woman drowned in the little smokey recently while cleaning her quad in the river. Her husband managed to escape. They found her body today.

rocpilefsj
06-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Believe it runs into prairie. When it flooded a few years back it changed course pretty good, really made a mess...i chucked a couple little lures in it and nothing. Think your best bet would be to try to find the furthest east access point and head downstream. There is some nice little holes! Good luck

I am positive it runs into the prairie too. I was camping out at baseline the past couple days and chucked a few lures in, tried the fly rod and all I caught was a tree branch... The creek has even changed things out there since last summer. I spend a lot of time out there, brought a whole garbage bag of other people's garbage home with me. Cannot believe some people.