PDA

View Full Version : Tracking sturgeon

Geezle
08-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Yesterday ghostguy6 and I were out fishing on the NSR when a boat came by and pulled up where we were fishing. It was a couple of ladies who were with F&W and they were boating down the river looking for tagged sturgeon and doing a little survey with fisherpeople they came across along the way - asking how long we'd been out that day and what we'd caught. It turns out that they started their trip in Drayton Valley and they're working their way all the way over to North Battleford, camping along the way. Very cool job :cool:

They also mentioned that from their experience the sturgeon fishing is usually best in August-September when the water is lower, so hopefully we've still got some good sturgeon fishing ahead of us this year! :sHa_shakeshout:

mooseknuckle
08-08-2011, 09:03 AM
Awesome job. I don't have to track sturgeon Jay, I just follow you around.

pikehunter1989
08-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Awesome job. I don't have to track sturgeon Jay, I just follow you around.

X2 haha!:happy0034:

pdfish
08-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Yesterday ghostguy6 and I were out fishing on the NSR when a boat came by and pulled up where we were fishing. It was a couple of ladies who were with F&W and they were boating down the river looking for tagged sturgeon and doing a little survey with fisherpeople they came across along the way - asking how long we'd been out that day and what we'd caught. It turns out that they started their trip in Drayton Valley and they're working their way all the way over to North Battleford, camping along the way. Very cool job :cool:

They also mentioned that from their experience the sturgeon fishing is usually best in August-September when the water is lower, so hopefully we've still got some good sturgeon fishing ahead of us this year! :sHa_shakeshout:

Was stopped by them out west earlier this year. Knew that they were going to be doing creel surveys in order to assist DFO. DFO implanted a bunch of tracking tags last year to follow sturgeon movements. Haven't caught one yet this year with a tracking tag in it. Maybe soon.

sureshot
08-08-2011, 05:57 PM
were they cute.

Andy

mudbug
08-08-2011, 06:09 PM
were they cute.

Andy

Pictures too if you have them Geezle :sHa_shakeshout:

Geezle
08-08-2011, 10:15 PM
were they cute.

Andy

I think one had potential but it was hard to say for sure...she had on some pretty big sunglasses and a very unflattering rain suit. The other not so much :o

ghostguy6
08-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Jay, I managed to find that frequency we were talking about yesterday......:sHa_shakeshout:

Lefty-Canuck
08-08-2011, 11:05 PM
I think one had potential but it was hard to say for sure...she had on some pretty big sunglasses and a very unflattering rain suit. The other not so much :o

Good from far....far from good....

LC

Geezle
08-09-2011, 11:47 PM
Good from far....far from good....

LC

Sounds like the girl that sat in front of me in grade 10! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Alberta Bigbore
08-10-2011, 12:05 AM
i think every school had a few of those

Geezle
08-10-2011, 12:09 AM
i think every school had a few of those

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=100671&highlight=RCMP :lol:

ishootbambi
08-10-2011, 08:14 AM

thats what ive found for sure. you can catch em year round...well within legal dates....but for sheer numbers, now is just getting good. ive only ever had 50plus-fish-days in aug and early sept. after that i dont know because its hunting season. :)

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
08-10-2011, 01:39 PM
http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=100671&highlight=RCMP :lol:

Isnt it 2 idiots with pellet guns bring in the heavys ?