PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrated food

jts1
08-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Going back into the sticks for 3 days of hiking and fishing. Never had the space food before. Is it worth getting some along with a small pack stove or shall I just pack in real food?

Gary K
08-08-2011, 10:26 PM
some of it is pretty good. the mountain house lasagna is alright.

huge selection of different brands at mec

i forget the brand (comes in brown bags, green writing i think? anyone) but they have some great stuff, little more expensive but i think its worth it. They have a hummus as well as a black bean spread. I pack in those and pack bread ( really thin wrap/ tortilla type things that don't need to be refrigerated) and put the dips on that. damn good lunch or appy to dinner!

simmered
08-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Some of the backcountry pantry stuff is actually really good. It's kinda expensive but it fits in the pack nicely and all you need to do is add water. You won't have any dishes just fold up the foil pouch and put it in a ziplock bag for your garbage. I bought a few and tried them first before I took them into the back country with me

Gust
08-08-2011, 10:43 PM
I don't mind them and it's great because they're sealed so you're not a big wafting tasty meal smelling guy trapsing through the woods.

Gary K
08-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Mary Jane farms is who those spreads are made by!

prodogg02
08-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Mary Jane farms is who those spreads are made by!

u just spread an roll that :bad_boys_20: sorry had to lol

Gary K
08-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Hahaha I never even though of that

chubbdarter
08-08-2011, 11:07 PM
jts1....might want to try this thread in Gen/Sec......hunters and other forms of outdoors people will no doubt help you.

FishingFrenzy
08-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Thai Kitchen has some good noodle bowl type dealios in the asian foods section of grocery stores, I take those sometimes for backpacking. nice and light, easy to cook.

Heavy K
08-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Some of it is good, some of it is horrendous. Don't let one bad brand turn you off for good. Also, check to see the prep involved in each one. For the sake of fuel consumption and time, I recommend the ones that involve a single step: add boiling water (if the theme for your trip is "light and efficient"). Some of them have instructions like "add 2 cups of water and let sit for 4 hours, bring to boil, then simmer for 25 minutes" which in my opinion is pretty inconvenient for food that's being purchased for the sake of convenience.

Primus sells cheap canister stoves that are lightweight and work fine for summer use, just find some way to keep them out of the wind, and don't plan on making yourself elaborate meals with them.

A cheaper alternative to the prepared dehydrated foods are the Idahoan Mashed potatoes that you can buy at Safeway for a couple bucks. Add boiling water and cut up a bit of Ukrainian kielbassa into it. Combined with a hearty soup with some sort of dessert (perhaps Scotch?) you've got a cheap, filling meal. I just wouldn't do it for five days straight.

Happy Trails