PDA

View Full Version : Double Tapered or Weight Forward

Frans
08-09-2011, 08:22 AM
What do the assembled experts here say:

Double Tapered or Weight Forward line?

I was taught that for extreme long casts, and windy conditions (like I used to fish in the old country) double tapered would be better. The weight at the more at the end of the line as in a WF would make it more difficult to keep the long stretch of line in the air.

But what about when fishing a river, floating? Are those very long cast regularly required or is it more important to be able to "shoot" a line somewhere quickly?

mikeym
08-09-2011, 08:56 AM
i've tried both and i like weight forward a lot better for ease of casting and precision. but of course the WF line i am using was a lot better quality line then the double taper line i first used, so that is a big difference also. with fly line, price does matter.

rgds
Mike

Jayhad
08-09-2011, 09:20 AM
What wieght rod are we discussing? In the era of line tapers we are in now 70% of anglers will use a WF, DTs are truly designed for the best spook free presentations, there are some other advantages to using a DT like being able to use the other end, but most situations if you are fishing a 4wt or higher a WF would be suffiecent.

I fish WFs on most of my rods but my 2wt and 4wt both have DTs, I don't use the DT on the 4wt much and prefer the way the rod loads with a RIO Gold, but with the 2wt and fishing tiny drys the DT rolls out smooth and lays flat keeping spooky fish in clear water where they should be.... feeding

There's no wrong or right line, but most will find with higher modulus graphite sticks that WFs are more suited.

Jay

greylynx
08-09-2011, 11:02 AM
What wieght rod are we discussing? In the era of line tapers we are in now 70% of anglers will use a WF, DTs are truly designed for the best spook free presentations, there are some other advantages to using a DT like being able to use the other end, but most situations if you are fishing a 4wt or higher a WF would be suffiecent.

I fish WFs on most of my rods but my 2wt and 4wt both have DTs, I don't use the DT on the 4wt much and prefer the way the rod loads with a RIO Gold, but with the 2wt and fishing tiny drys the DT rolls out smooth and lays flat keeping spooky fish in clear water where they should be.... feeding

There's no wrong or right line, but most will find with higher modulus graphite sticks that WFs are more suited.

Jay

x2

Frans
08-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks! I'll be picking up a WF6 for the upcoming trip.

Tungsten,
08-09-2011, 09:22 PM
I really like a DT for the accuracy,roll casts nice also.