PDA

View Full Version : Siebert Trip with the boy...

Jayball
08-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Thinking of heading back to Siebert soon with my 7y/o son. I heard there is a bear problem in the campground. Still the case? How about the road in.. good shape?

thx in advance

rammer
08-09-2011, 02:55 PM
The road is better than some years but still not great.

Last I heard there are still a few bears around. They were trying to trap them to move them, but didn't hear of any being caught.

kreator
08-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Was there last week and bears were bad. One silently walked right up to the screen door of our trailer while we were eating breakfast. He slowly walked towards the bush after we banged a pot with a wooden spoon. I didn't like the fact he wasn't all that scared, so I hucked a piece of 2x4 in his direction and he hightailed it. Be careful with your son.

LacLaBicheNS
08-09-2011, 08:00 PM
I was there yesterday. Saw one bear on the drive in, but not close to the camp grounds. About 4 or 5 groups camping there. Some had kids, some had dogs... Way more "beware of bear" signs up this year at the camp ground than last year.

Road in was like every other time I have gone. The boat launch is better. They closed the old one and made a new one on the north end. It has concrete going out into the lake long enough to launch bigger boats. I don't liek it though, it seems like it encourages more and bigger groups out there.

Fishing for pike wasn't great at all. I heard the walleye were biting though.

DuckBrat
08-09-2011, 09:10 PM
How was the poaching? That's a bad place it seems for gathering those who don't follow rules.

LacLaBicheNS
08-09-2011, 11:10 PM
How was the poaching? That's a bad place it seems for gathering those who don't follow rules.

I agree... mon-fri is the worst.. sat and sun there is a FW officer there..

Jayball
08-10-2011, 01:43 PM
thx all... my greatest concern was heading there with my 7 yr old with all those bears. I also called f&w... seems they all say like you, bears are a problem. Probably not worth the risk for now.. fall might be better.

thx again...

0liver
08-10-2011, 01:54 PM
fall before they are going into hibernation may actually be worse, there stocking up for winter and I hear they get a little bit more nosey then usual..

LacLaBicheNS
08-10-2011, 03:39 PM
If your just fishing than don't worry about the bears. If your camping, as long as your not in a tent I wouldn't think twice. I have tent camping there a lot before with no problems.

rammer
08-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Tented up there last weekend, only bear we saw all weekend was one on the road in, but the area was heavy on the fish cops. Good news is that the fish cops had a 2 for 1 sale on drinking in the boat tickets which was nice. Fishing was pretty slow during the days but pretty good in the last hour of sunlight.