PDA

View Full Version : Highwood & Sheep Questions

hairygrump
08-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Some of you may have seen this on the Flyfishing Forum but I figured I'd post it here too.

My wife is out of town for a couple of days this week so I have a free pass to get out there and explore. I was thinking of heading towards Black Diamond and Longview to try my hand on the Highwood and Sheep. I've scouted there a bit and I'm wondering which portions of the river I should hit. I was thinking of the stretch between the reserve and Highwood Juction, just walking from the rec areas and some of the turnouts along the way. Is it all private property along there or can I get down to the water without any problems? Or, would I be better off trying in and around Okotoks? As for the Sheep, is it even worth poking around that little stretch between Black Diamond and Turner Valley? I've read so much conflicting info on the sheep and I'm not really sure what to try. Limited time, lots of ground to cover. Thanks for any info you guys can pass on. Oh, I'm flyfishing if that helps at all.

Al

Gary K
08-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Id stick to the high wood personally. lots of spots to access via the day use areas. There is alot of private/leased land along the high wood for a fair ways, but If you keep an eye out for yellow regulations signs by gates leading onto those lease's, you can park and walk across a field through a gate or over a fence at any of those signs ( i think ? i imagine that is why they are there, land owners allowing access?)

anyhow, not 100% sure ive fished the day areas and surrounding area and up by cataract. And always see people parked at those " private land access's"

chubbdarter
08-09-2011, 09:59 PM
do a search on Daceminnow's Threads......he reports often and backs his claims with great pictures

slivers86
08-10-2011, 12:21 AM
To be honest,

I've fished the sheep twice, once above the falls near okotoks and it was great, the other time, near the highway two overpass and skunked.

Seems like a great fishing river, now that I have a fly rod, it will be at my mercy :) Lukily, I let all them little guys go for now atleast :)