PDA

View Full Version : how to catch perch in trout waters

Itsmyfishingshow
08-10-2011, 12:00 PM
in lots of trout ponds (at least around edmonton) There are perch in the same waters. Perch are my favourite fish to eat so can someone tell me how to catch them in waters they arent the main species. some kind of bait, or fly. also in all kinds of lakes there are perch but only in a few have they ever not been impossible for ma to catch. Thanks for help :D

0liver
08-10-2011, 12:06 PM
wait for hard water in my opinion [they taste a bit better], then get a super tiny jig head [or even a small wire worm hook] and tip it with a maggot. crack a cold one and wait for a bite. you can even just hold the line in your hands with the spool laying off to the side. Or if you feel like it pick up a panfish popper.

Itsmyfishingshow
08-10-2011, 12:07 PM
wait for hard water in my opinion [they taste a bit better], then get a super tiny jig head [or even a small wire worm hook] and tip it with a maggot. crack a cold one and wait for a bite. you can even just hold the line in your hands with the spool laying off to the side. Or if you feel like it pick up a panfish popper.

maggot you say? i shall try that out

chubbdarter
08-10-2011, 12:07 PM
in lots of trout ponds (at least around edmonton) There are perch in the same waters. Perch are my favourite fish to eat so can someone tell me how to catch them in waters they arent the main species. some kind of bait, or fly. also in all kinds of lakes there are perch but only in a few have they ever not been impossible for ma to catch. Thanks for help :D

READ page 8 of the regs...it may apply to your situation

Itsmyfishingshow
08-10-2011, 12:14 PM
READ page 8 of the regs...it may apply to your situation

Bait Ban — means where bait bans are in effect only unscented lures may be used. In specific streams, only maggots may be used as bait during certain times of the year to allow anglers to fish for mountain whitefish with less impact on trout populations. In specific lakes, only maggots and mealworms may be used as bait to allow anglers to fish for perch and lake whitefish with less impact on pike populations

so far i got maggots, mealworms, and tungston pheasent tail.
Thanks for the insights guys!

chubbdarter
08-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Bait Ban — means where bait bans are in effect only unscented lures may be used. In specific streams, only maggots may be used as bait during certain times of the year to allow anglers to fish for mountain whitefish with less impact on trout populations. In specific lakes, only maggots and mealworms may be used as bait to allow anglers to fish for perch and lake whitefish with less impact on pike populations

so far i got maggots, mealworms, and tungston pheasent tail.
Thanks for the insights guys!

READ the entire header on page 8 of the regs

The BOLD type may apply to you

Itsmyfishingshow
08-10-2011, 12:24 PM
i dont have the regs i was looking online

chubbdarter
08-10-2011, 12:28 PM
i dont have the regs i was looking online

Online link to page 8

http://albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/fish-stocking.html

Itsmyfishingshow
08-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Online link to page 8

http://albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/fish-stocking.html

Cardiff is the pond i wanted to go to and i knew it wasnt on the list (:

alodar
08-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Certain lakes even though the perch were stocked illegally u may not keep them

Edit u beat me to it

chubbdarter
08-10-2011, 02:22 PM

Right on....good luck

cranky
08-10-2011, 06:26 PM

I would hazard a guess that what applies to Morrinville pond applies to Cardiff pond. Morrinville pond is on the list.