PDA

View Full Version : Government Mistake

icefever
08-10-2011, 09:26 PM
I just spent the last 6 days fishing the livingstone river, with no less than 30 fish a day. Oh my god could this be a government mistake to make this is a catch and release fishery. Any chance they might make this mistake again and include another stream. I can't believe the enjoyment that so many people have recieved from this fishery and the government in their wisdom doesn't want to repeat this. I sure hope in someones wisdom that they will extend this type of fishery. Thanks for 6 days of great fishing. I will attach pictures later

338Bluff
08-10-2011, 11:13 PM
I sense your sarcasm but if you do your research there are a pile of C&R watersheds.

I agree a few more would be nice. The entire Ram system for example would be a good start.

If you want to expand on your repetoire there is the North Ram, Blackstone and Tribs, Wapiabi and Tribs, and the Embarrass (I think...been a while).

BGSH
08-10-2011, 11:26 PM
all the wild fish streams in canada should be catch and release, all hatchery fish you should be able to have the chance to keep a few, good luck :)

Freddydog
08-10-2011, 11:53 PM
bgsh: that is the wisest post i have ever seen on this site. cheers.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
08-11-2011, 12:37 AM
all the wild fish streams in canada should be catch and release, all hatchery fish you should be able to have the chance to keep a few, good luck :)

X 2 I use to be a huge stream fishermen when I was younger Grandpa and my uncle would go probably a dozen or more times a year from the time I was about 11 . I think if they kept those streams and rivers in the mountains and foothills catch and release would be fantastic . In fact If they make 99 % of the lakes in this province catch and release would be a great thing . Need to figure something out before we a entirely stocked fish province . If you wanna keep fish hit up a bloody trout pond , heck they could have other fish ponds for the same purpose .

Dale S
08-11-2011, 06:09 AM
The Oldman and South Sask. should be C&R. You cant eat the fish anyway.I've seen to many 10lbs.walleye taken out of that river system.

MountainTi
08-11-2011, 06:36 AM

That sums it up right there. I love fishing mountain rivers and creeks, but I haven't kept a fish out of one since I was a young kid and didn't know any better. If I want a few trout for the smoker, I head to a stocked pond.

WayneChristie
08-11-2011, 07:20 AM
The Oldman and South Sask. should be C&R. You cant eat the fish anyway.I've seen to many 10lbs.walleye taken out of that river system.

Bow below Bassano should be as well, since the fish are too full of mercury to eat anyways.

greylynx
08-11-2011, 10:25 AM
I think all the above posts are excellent.

Unfortunately, there is large segment of the population that has to kill a fish when they out.

I don't the idea of killing stream fish, but there are some people that just got to.

chubbdarter
08-11-2011, 10:30 AM
I appreciate all the conservation minded people out there......but there is nothing wrong with harvesting some fish. Wild brookies for example, in many cases your being a better keeper of the stream by enjoying a few pan frys of fish.

greylynx
08-11-2011, 10:38 AM
I appreciate all the conservation minded people out there......but there is nothing wrong with harvesting some fish. Wild brookies for example, in many cases your being a better keeper of the stream by enjoying a few pan frys of fish.

Your right Chub.

The introduction of Brookies have wrecked a lot of good stream water, and by golly those little fellas are mighty tasty.:) The lake ones are mighty good too.

I am on the fence with RM whitefish. They are a food source for other trout, yet they eat other trout's eggs. They don't taste as good as brookies until they are smoked.

chubbdarter
08-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Your right Chub.

The introduction of Brookies have wrecked a lot of good stream water, and by golly those little fellas are mighty tasty.:) The lake ones are mighty good too.

I am on the fence with RM whitefish. They are a food source for other trout, yet they eat other trout's eggs. They don't taste as good as brookies until they are smoked.

Whites are good eating if you can get someone to clean the stinky buggers

We soak fillets in milk for 4-6 hours.....drain off, cube them, dip in a spicey fish batter and deep fry.....try just eat one..lol

Got to love a fresh brookie fry from a cold mountain stream.

I understand catch and release has a important role in our fisheries but one must remember without the tradition of a selective harvest ,i believe fishing will change for the worst.

ak-71
08-11-2011, 01:11 PM
.... I think if they kept those streams and rivers in the mountains and foothills catch and release would be fantastic . In fact If they make 99 % of the lakes in this province catch and release ......

Don't want to offend anybody, but IMHO, fishing a C&R only waters resembles masturbation. It may have it's place, but I would like to have a chance to keep some fish according to reasonable regulations where appropriate.
What really gets me upset is that catch limits and regulations are not enforced.

PS. I do fish Bow river ( C&R) from time to time though, but who doesn't...

Dust1n
08-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Don't want to offend anybody, but IMHO, fishing a C&R only waters resembles masturbation. It may have it's place, but I would like to have a chance to keep some fish according to reasonable regulations where appropriate.
What really gets me upset is that catch limits and regulations are not enforced.

whats that got to do with anything?

ak-71
08-11-2011, 01:15 PM
whats that got to do with anything?

Has to do with making 99% of lakes to be C&R. Read above

slivers86
08-11-2011, 01:46 PM
I think that area sounds like a pretty good prospect for more 'family + c&r' fishing in the province. There should always be places where you can take your young, and teach them the tricks of the trade, and have them come home happy. As a kid, I'd always goto chain lakes, and pull little fish in the spillway. It was great, or willow creek!

Protective some water closer to a city though.

chubbdarter
08-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Government looks at numbers of participants also when allocating funds to some degree, so if you make everything strictly catch and release you loose licence sales. Its a double edged sword.

Cue in Sun

aulrich
08-11-2011, 02:10 PM
I am not against taking a few fish, but fragile mountain streams are not the right fisheries especially if they have the accessability of the livingstone, most mountainstreams just does not have the bio-mass for any harvest.

Was'nt one of the other important changes fencing to keep cattle out. Cattle love water and when they muck about on the banks they end up widening out river bed and killing brush that would provide shading to the river which warms it up and slows down the flow.

chubbdarter
08-11-2011, 02:45 PM
I am not against taking a few fish, but fragile mountain streams are not the right fisheries especially if they have the accessability of the livingstone, most mountainstreams just does not have the bio-mass for any harvest.

Was'nt one of the other important changes fencing to keep cattle out. Cattle love water and when they muck about on the banks they end up widening out river bed and killing brush that would provide shading to the river which warms it up and slows down the flow.

not sure if thats directed at me....but i'll respond
Im not against specific regs for certain waters, what im against is a blanket reg. making all streams C@R for the reasons i posted above.

greylynx
08-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Whites are good eating if you can get someone to clean the stinky buggers

We soak fillets in milk for 4-6 hours.....drain off, cube them, dip in a spicey fish batter and deep fry.....try just eat one..lol

Got to love a fresh brookie fry from a cold mountain stream.

I understand catch and release has a important role in our fisheries but one must remember without the tradition of a selective harvest ,i believe fishing will change for the worst.

Hey Chub:

With whitefish are you describing the Filipino way of cooking up milkfish?

That would go good with some aluk or San Migual

chubbdarter
08-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Hey Chub:

With whitefish are you describing the Filipino way of cooking up milkfish?

That would go good with some aluk or San Migual

not sure what any of that is...lol
We use the milk to take away the real fishy taste....it more like cod after the milk bath

walking buffalo
08-12-2011, 10:10 AM

I read this exact statement in a PETA flier.

It's very short and narrow sighted to think eliminating the sustainable harvest of wild fish is a good thing.

oilngas
08-12-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm over 60 now and with the grandkids and time, my perception has changed. When we were kids it was not fishing unless a basket full came home, but that was my dad's heritage, passed on us, and there were lets say 1MM persons in the Province in the 50 - 60's.

Well now i believe we have over 4 MM persons and still about the same number of lake / stream fisheries. the people are just going to keep coming if we are the engine that drives the Canadian economy so the 4 MM is not going to go down.

The grandkids and I really don't care if we kill a fish, they are just as happy to let them go over the side of the boat. That said I still like a fish fry or two a year.

So i now believe that Shaun is right, C&R on all wild flowing waters, and say something like 90 % C&R on the rest of Alberta waters. I see the problem tho.

So if Sustainable is trying to keep a handle on the walleye kill with the tag system, that seems to me to be an answer that we need to expand. I believe Sustainable does an incredibe job with the funding they get.