PDA

View Full Version : Fly rod Fly reel, which one to get :)

BGSH
08-11-2011, 11:19 AM
whats up guys, with all of the new fly rods and fly reels out there these days, i am all caught up on what to get, wanna spend no more then 500$ for the fly rod and fly reel together, anyone have any ideas i would like a 4wt-5wt, was looking at a simple g-loomis venture fly reel or the rise by redington(sage) was thinking about a vantage fly rod by sage, any imput would be great, i would also buy a used one if anyone is getting rid of any fly rods and fly reels, thankyou:)

Jayhad
08-11-2011, 11:32 AM
whats up guys, with all of the new fly rods and fly reels out there these days, i am all caught up on what to get, wanna spend no more then 500$ for the fly rod and fly reel together, anyone have any ideas i would like a 4wt-5wt, was looking at a simple g-loomis venture fly reel or the rise by redington(sage) was thinking about a vantage fly rod by sage, any imput would be great, i would also buy a used one if anyone is getting rid of any fly rods and fly reels, thankyou:)

Shawn the Redington Rise reels are pretty bomb proof I use Redington reels as my client reels. The Vantages are great sticks and tough to beat at that price range, but to me they aren't really good light line sticks more of a 6wt nymph stick. the Redington CPXs are top-notch and great sticks if you can find them on sale. I would also start trolling ebay or other sales sites as the Z-Axis' are discontinued you can find them cheap now if you keep your eyes open. Plus the TXLs got discod this season as well and the 7'10" is rad in pretty much any weight under the 4s, and they have crazy back bone.

Try to get a 4 piece so it will fit in your Fiero

Dust1n
08-11-2011, 11:39 AM
i got the TFO pro series with a dragonfly large arbour reel and WF floating line and orange backing.

this setup is about $275

$150 for the TFO pro series rod 4pc 8ft.
$99 for the dragon fly large arbour reel.(got mine for $40 at sportsman den)
$3 for TufLine Fly Backing (orange)
$20 for hobbs creek floating WF fly line (got for free with the hobbs creek reel)

This is my mountain stream setup now.

Although the redington pursuit 5wt 9ft 4p is a great buy with the case and reel and line. and its $230

i like TFO alot more though it has the meduim action i love and not the med-fast you need to be chucking larger dries and smaller streamers

chubbdarter
08-11-2011, 11:44 AM
BEST..................only God can tell you what a rod will feel like or cast like in YOUR HANDS

Your price range is more than adequate....go to the fishin hole or flyshop and punch a cast.....at least go shake a few.

p.s. the fishing hole in cowtown has some Noice deals on upper end rods right now

Dust1n
08-11-2011, 11:47 AM
to add onto chubbs post the fish tails fly shop lets you demo there rods.
bass pro wil let you fight a hand if you get the right salesman.

chubbdarter
08-11-2011, 11:48 AM
As a example....i believe the TFO's are wannabe flyrods but FH7 loves them...everyone is different.
Some of the new Sages are wicked fast....too fast for me

Best heres a example you will undestand.......wanna try my haircut?

CanadianEh
08-11-2011, 11:54 AM
I picked up an awsome fly rod from a local Calgary company... Pieroway Element 6wt rod. I paired it with a Lamson Velocity reel.. Fantastic setup IMHO... Great Customer service too.. I was able to meet up with Brad from Pieroway to hit the bow. Allowed me to test several of thier rods before making a purchase.

The Lamson reel has a fanastic drag and I am able to handle any fish I catch.

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af148/canadianfish/P1030579.jpg
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af148/canadianfish/P1030585.jpg

The Element 6wt rod was $199 from Pieroway rods.
Lamson Reel was about $200 off ebay
Rio Gold 6wt was $50 on sale a whoelsale sports
Orange backing from wholesale sports.

commieboy
08-11-2011, 12:00 PM
http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/FlyRodReview.Best5weightflyrod.HardyZenith.SageZ-axis.WinstonB3x.WinstonBIIIx.LoomisNRX.SageVXP.StC roixLegendEliteTempleforkBVK.asp

Hope it helps. I have a BVK.

Dust1n
08-11-2011, 12:08 PM
As a example....i believe the TFO's are wannabe flyrods but FH7 loves them...everyone is different.

Best heres a example you will undestand.......wanna try my haircut?

i swear by TFO's i had great results on warrenty, iv landed everything from 12lb bows to river pike, i like the handle on the TFO and the action they have are awsome and in my price range.

remeber a few years ago when a rod was a rod

Doc
08-11-2011, 12:23 PM

Shawn do a search on Kijiji Edmonton, there's a Sage 590 RPL, one of the best rods Sage ever produced and my personal favorite. It's going for $300.00.

Jayhad
08-11-2011, 12:30 PM

X2

emrich-55
08-11-2011, 02:27 PM
check out the passport series fly rods made By R.L. Winston. About 200bucks for the rod. Best rod for the money and has a life time warrenty. I bought one and put a G-loomis real on it. Works great. Real easy to cast and has great action.

BGSH
08-11-2011, 11:38 PM
thankyou for all the tips, really appreciated

Kingfisher
08-12-2011, 01:55 AM
In the $500 price tag you mentioned I would get a Reddington CPX. Great rod for the money. Match it up with a Reddington Rise reel. Then put on a Rio Grand dry line. Great combination that I use on a regular basis. I am very pleased with the performance and the feel of the rod.

Just my 2¢ worth, for what it's worth,

Rob

greylynx
08-12-2011, 09:34 AM
I picked up an awsome fly rod from a local Calgary company... Pieroway Element 6wt rod. I paired it with a Lamson Velocity reel.. Fantastic setup IMHO... Great Customer service too.. I was able to meet up with Brad from Pieroway to hit the bow. Allowed me to test several of thier rods before making a purchase.

The Lamson reel has a fanastic drag and I am able to handle any fish I catch.

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af148/canadianfish/P1030579.jpg
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af148/canadianfish/P1030585.jpg

The Element 6wt rod was $199 from Pieroway rods.
Lamson Reel was about $200 off ebay
Rio Gold 6wt was $50 on sale a whoelsale sports
Orange backing from wholesale sports.

Those Pieroways are not bad. NIce looking too.

BtW: You have quit using that poor dog in the picture for your fly tying materials. The poor pooch might freeze this winter with all the hair you took off of his back.:sHa_shakeshout: Just kidding.:)

Dust1n
08-12-2011, 09:52 AM
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/004-1-1.jpg

CanadianEh
08-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Those Pieroways are not bad. NIce looking too.

BtW: You have quit using that poor dog in the picture for your fly tying materials. The poor pooch might freeze this winter with all the hair you took off of his back.:sHa_shakeshout: Just kidding.:)

Heh... Might be worth a shot for tying flies.. :)

our poochs' hair is like Human hair.. it keeps growing until it reaches the ground. but as you pointed out we like keep it raher short in the summer.

TheLegend
08-12-2011, 07:17 PM
My setup

Scientific anglers 5/6 weight rod --100$
Okuma sierra 4/5 reel--44$
Cortland neon yellow backing--7$
Scientific anglers Supra Series WF-5-F in yellow--55$

Inexpensive setup catches fish and works great. Remember you don't need a 100 dollar plus reel to catch fish. Good quality reels can be had from 35-60 bucks and will be all you ever need. Spend as much as you can afford on fly line though.

alacringa
08-12-2011, 08:11 PM
All amts rounded to nearest dollar:

TFO BVK 6 wt./9' $290
Amundson Trend 5-6 wt. reel $140
Rio Gold 6 wt line $77
Backing included

GST $25

Total $532

A little more than what you suggested, I know -- you can take that or leave it. I started out with a "below $500" goal, too, but don't regret the extra $32. I really enjoy this setup. A 4-wt will be a little less -- I think the BVKs were $280 for a 4-wt.

BGSH
08-12-2011, 08:18 PM
ya i tried my frienda amundston yesterday at muir, awsome reel, hey my tfo rod broke, can i take it in and exchange it? broke in three sports, not very impressed with tfo now

CanadianEh
08-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Hard to beat Pieroway rods..

Local Alberta Company, also a no-fault lifeime warranty...

alacringa
08-12-2011, 08:24 PM
ya i tried my frienda amundston yesterday at muir, awsome reel, hey my tfo rod broke, can i take it in and exchange it? broke in three sports, not very impressed with tfo now

For warranty issues, you will need to deal with the manufacturer (TFO) rather than the retailer. You could check with the retailer, but it is likely that they will tell you to talk with TFO.

How the heck did it break in 3 places?

BGSH
08-12-2011, 08:34 PM
long story lol, but i did take one tfo back to the fishn hole they took it but then i broke this one by accident to so i guess i will try to return it, may as well.

for a reel i was thinking about the sage 2000, looks so nice and probably does the trick
or might go up to the 4200 series, not sure yet,or the redington rise CD series

Kingfisher
08-13-2011, 03:25 AM
For warranty issues, you will need to deal with the manufacturer (TFO) rather than the retailer. You could check with the retailer, but it is likely that they will tell you to talk with TFO.

How the heck did it break in 3 places?

You can take any of your TFO stuff to Springbrook Manufacturing. They are located at 3809 - 9th STREET S.E. in Calgary. They will let you know if you can get warranty right then and there. They also have a store right there as well. Check out their website. http://www.springbrook.ca/ You can also get some of their discontinued and demo rods for a great price and they still have a full warranty with them.

Rob

Wes_G
08-13-2011, 10:25 PM
I find it funny on how everyone comments on how great TFO's warranty is.... WHO CARES!!!. Warranty is something that with a good product you should never have to deal with. Unfortunately it seems way to many TFO owners know of there "good warranty" all to well.

Sure accidents happen and if they do any higher end rod company is not going to leave you out in the cold and say "to bad". But I would never buy a rod purely on warranty. I cant tell you which rod to buy because there are way to many out there and I havent cast nearly enough of them. Probably becasue I have never had to deal with broken rods before but I will give my 2 cents and say stay away from TFO, they break... ALOT

alacringa
08-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Wes, it's not just the warranty. It's the no-questions-asked warranty. Doesn't matter if the rod is broken by slamming it in the tailgate of the truck, or by driving over it, or while fighting a 20-pound Bull Trout. Sections are replaced at $30/piece.

Incidentally, I have 2 TFO rods, purchased on feel, not on reputation; and I have never had to use the warranty...yet.

Wes_G
08-14-2011, 08:26 AM
Wes, it's not just the warranty. It's the no-questions-asked warranty. Doesn't matter if the rod is broken by slamming it in the tailgate of the truck, or by driving over it, or while fighting a 20-pound Bull Trout. Sections are replaced at $30/piece.

Incidentally, I have 2 TFO rods, purchased on feel, not on reputation; and I have never had to use the warranty...yet.

Like I said, every high end rod manufacturer now does. It is just more convenient with them being from Calgary. But if a product is purchsed in the first place that doesn't seem to have a reputation of failure, you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Sundancefisher
08-14-2011, 10:56 AM
There are many rods to consider...price should be your only comparison as for the average fishermen the rods are all being made in the same place using the same blanks. Consider the biggest annoyance and that is defects and accidental breakage warranties.

We should check into TFO...I heard they are no longer honoring the unconditional warranties. I hear they are rejecting some peoples replacements.

That is a real shame and will be something to consider.

Their online warranty says:

"Our No-Fault Warranty is for the life of the original registered owner. Fill out the online form or send in your registration card to activate your warranty.
break-a-rod

To use your No-Fault Warranty, simply send us the damaged rod with $25 and your return shipping / contact information. We will repair or replace your rod and send it back to you in a business day."

Realizing that the tip section probably costs about $5 to manufacture...they are still making money on this.

The registration section has these wiggly words now.

No-Fault Warranty Registration

Our No-Fault Warranty is for the life of the original registered owner. Fill out the form below or return the registration card you received with your purchase to activate your warranty.

To use your No-fault Warranty, simply send the entire rod to our address in Dallas listed below. We recommend using a carrier that provides tracking information in case of a problem. Include your return shipping / contact information and a check for $25 per broken rod. Your repaired rod will be shipped back to you within a few days of receipt. Blanks sections (as appropriate) will be replaced and returned with related hardware and finishings from broken sections. This warranty is limited to the blank, on custom TFO rods and does not cover flagrant abuse of the product.

So someone that fishes a ton and gets tons of normal wear and tear and the rod breaks...is not covered?

Has anyone had problems with Temple Forks warranty system? So far I have not.

Doc
08-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Blanks sections (as appropriate) will be replaced and returned with related hardware and finishings from broken sections. This warranty is limited to the blank, on custom TFO rods and does not cover flagrant abuse of the product.

So someone that fishes a ton and gets tons of normal wear and tear and the rod breaks...is not covered?

Has anyone had problems with Temple Forks warranty system? So far I have not.

They are referring here to someone who has a custom built rod using TFO blanks. They'll return the old section with all the hardware along with a new blank so you can rebuild or have it rebuilt for you again. Sage has the same warranty. Does not apply to store bought, manufactured rods where you just send it in with a payment and they replace it, no questions asked.

bloom
08-14-2011, 01:19 PM
These days...so many rods are the same, and good priced that you're can't go wrong. Almost all of the entry level rods are made overseas, out of similar factories, and just branded different (same with the reels). Most are good quality and come with good warranties...it's tough to go wrong.

DO stay away from the lower end rods (ie. Berkley, Crystal River, etc) and put at least $100 into a rod. Once you get into Temple Forks, Amundson, Redington, etc, you'll get a good rod that are very comparable. Choose one that casts well for you.

My suggestion would be buy a high quality line (ie. Rio Gold), buy a decent reel for $100-$200 and then take this to a couple of stores to try out some rods. Put your line on the rods so that you can make a fair comparison. (Sometimes a bad line on a good rod can make it feel like a dog)