PDA

View Full Version : Lake Trout in Sylvan Lake?

DidsburyBowHunter
08-11-2011, 05:36 PM
I keep hearing the rumours and if the rumour is true is there enough of them to actually target them?

Lefty-Canuck
08-11-2011, 05:39 PM
I caught one once but as I brought it in a coelacanth came and ate it....I lost them both unfortunately...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

LC

Dust1n
08-11-2011, 05:46 PM
it was stocked with them also brown trout,Rainbow trout and a bunch of other species we dont got anymore.

Last hardwater season i hooked myself into a rainbow trout about 20 inches.

DidsburyBowHunter
08-11-2011, 05:49 PM
so then it would be useless to try and target them aye?

Dust1n
08-11-2011, 05:51 PM
so then it would be useless to try and target them aye?

yup. theres a few realy deep spots on the lake no one i seen fishes you can PM me if you want the directions. there are some rises on sylvan in the super hot days of augest and july not too sure what they are im suspecting more rainbows because i doubt whites would be spawning that early but you never know

nicemustang
08-11-2011, 07:33 PM
yup. theres a few realy deep spots on the lake no one i seen fishes you can PM me if you want the directions. there are some rises on sylvan in the super hot days of augest and july not too sure what they are im suspecting more rainbows because i doubt whites would be spawning that early but you never know

BS to lake trout being there. Fish tale.

And you've just shown a lack of knowledge there smarty pants....the rising fish are whitefish eating the bugs. Happens in every lake where there is whitefish in them.:snapoutofit:

chubbdarter
08-11-2011, 07:44 PM

And you've just shown a lack of knowledge there smarty pants....the rising fish are whitefish eating the bugs. Happens in every lake where there is whitefish in them.:snapoutofit:

did someone say Lake trout?

Lefty-Canuck
08-11-2011, 07:45 PM
did someone say Lake trout?

Yup...the OP title line says Lake Trout...

LC

chubbdarter
08-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Yup...the OP title line says Lake Trout...

LC

but the quoted post doesnt does it?

stvnda
08-11-2011, 08:00 PM
I agree chub, the "lack of knowledge there smarty pants" award should go to someone other than FH7

338Bluff
08-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Ahem....

From the Lakes Atlas. They exist no longer but at one time there were a few. I remember reading another book somewhere and it reported they even tried smallmouths in there. So I'm thinking that there are no Lakers in there now...

In 1986, Alberta angling records reported that an exceptionally large perch of 53 cm and 1.6 kg was taken from Sylvan Lake. Walleye were stocked in 1926, 1929, 1934, 1938, 1943, 1945 and from 1960 to 1963. They have now established a self-sustaining population and contribute to the sport fishery (Lowe 1988). Burbot are also caught by anglers. Lake trout were stocked in 1943 and 1944 but none survived. Spottail shiners were stocked from 1942 to 1945 to increase the forage fish population. Native forage species likely include brook stickleback and fathead minnows (Lowe 1988). In 1987 and 1988, a total of 3,445 adult lake whitefish from Pigeon Lake were stocked in Sylvan Lake to provide a forage species for walleye and northern pike and eventually to contribute to winter sport fishing.

chubbdarter
08-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Well then......its not impossible
thanks 338

Dust1n
08-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Ahem....

From the Lakes Atlas. They exist no longer but at one time there were a few. I remember reading another book somewhere and it reported they even tried smallmouths in there. So I'm thinking that there are no Lakers in there now...

In 1986, Alberta angling records reported that an exceptionally large perch of 53 cm and 1.6 kg was taken from Sylvan Lake. Walleye were stocked in 1926, 1929, 1934, 1938, 1943, 1945 and from 1960 to 1963. They have now established a self-sustaining population and contribute to the sport fishery (Lowe 1988). Burbot are also caught by anglers. Lake trout were stocked in 1943 and 1944 but none survived. Spottail shiners were stocked from 1942 to 1945 to increase the forage fish population. Native forage species likely include brook stickleback and fathead minnows (Lowe 1988). In 1987 and 1988, a total of 3,445 adult lake whitefish from Pigeon Lake were stocked in Sylvan Lake to provide a forage species for walleye and northern pike and eventually to contribute to winter sport fishing.

BOOM HEADSHOT nicemustang! i seen the post in the newspaper a few months ago. and there perch btw:sign0161: acualy IDK but it might be bows lol

thunderjet
08-11-2011, 09:15 PM

You have just shown us your a legend in your own mind!!

Dust1n
08-11-2011, 09:31 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=77089&highlight=sylvan+lake+rainbow+trout&page=2

biggamehunter
08-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Lets go for trout next year fh7

Dust1n
08-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Lets go for trout next year fh7

lol if you want to throw away our summer lol

nicemustang
08-16-2011, 09:56 PM
HA! Well I guess we should all jump in our time machine and go back to 1944 so we can catch a lake trout. Come on, really?? I can admit even the super inteligent can be wrong at times lol...I ain't perfect. But to think that just because they may have (atlas of alberta lakes has a lot of false information on it) stocked it with lakers and they would take in a lake like syvlan is pretty unbelievable to me. But hey, I'm pretty pesimistic.

Either types of trout I can easily see because it's creek feed. There's trout in every creek in Ab pretty well.

nicemustang
08-16-2011, 09:57 PM
You have just shown us your a legend in your own mind!!

Thank you. Since you are a **** too we meet every wednesday at 7:00 pm at Hooters.:fighting0030:

salmon slayer
08-18-2011, 05:07 PM
fished sylvan yesterday morning, boat was in the water by 615am, not even a bite, left at 10am, fished the NW end

Dust1n
08-18-2011, 05:07 PM
fished sylvan yesterday morning, boat was in the water by 615am, not even a bite, left at 10am, fished the NW end

the SW end is better for eyes...

EZM
08-19-2011, 02:10 PM
I would guess not. Lakers like deep and cold water. 52 degrees. I'd suspect they would end up belly up shortly after the water hits 60.

I understand the deep holes may never hit 60 but the oxgen levels need to "stir" and the lakers just wouldn't make it - In my opinion.

I'd say it's a fish story.

fishman
08-19-2011, 03:44 PM
The lake was stocked with kokanee at one time but they never survived as i drank them all.....lol.....seriously they did stock them with kokanee way back when.....i have all the stockings of slyvan at home in a book i would have to dig out but i remeber the lake trout and kokanee not sure what else

Bhflyfisher
08-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Regarding the other thread about catching a rainbow from sylvan.

1 thing proves lack of knowledge. Lake whitefish do feed on the surface at times. Super Early mornings on pigeon proves this, unless they are monstrous perch, or there are rainbows in pigeon as well. I caught one on an elk hair caddis.

On another note, if those fish were stocked 50 years ago, they are not in the lake right now. Rainbows dont have that long of lifespan, and walleye and pike would eat them. Simple as that.

I call BS.

fishman
08-19-2011, 07:11 PM

1 thing proves lack of knowledge. Lake whitefish do feed on the surface at times. Super Early mornings on pigeon proves this, unless they are monstrous perch, or there are rainbows in pigeon as well. I caught one on an elk hair caddis.

On another note, if those fish were stocked 50 years ago, they are not in the lake right now. Rainbows dont have that long of lifespan, and walleye and pike would eat them. Simple as that.

I call BS.

I understand what u r saying all i was doing was clarifying that at one time yes there was different species stocked in sylvan but no they didn't survive

338Bluff
08-19-2011, 10:00 PM

I call BS.

There is only one flaw with your logic. Explain Lake Diefenbaker......Rainbows, Walleye, and Pike. All in the same lake. It didn't hurt that those fish were several pounds when they escaped. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't a world record sized triploid bow come out of there??? It lived long enough to get big.

There is no doubt in my mind that any Lakers stocked in 44 or 45 are now extinct. The lake obviously did not have the right habitat for them.

As for whether or not someone caught a Rainbow in Sylvan....If some wingnuts are running around dumping perch in every pot hole they find why couldn't someone take a bucket of trout from their private pond (irresponsible jerks they would be) and dump it in Sylvan. By some sheer fluke one might last long enough to be caught. :shark:

I wouldn't think it likely, but I wouldn't call anyone a liar if they claimed it happened.....even though they are a fisherman.....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

EZM
08-21-2011, 01:04 PM
There is only one flaw with your logic. Explain Lake Diefenbaker......Rainbows, Walleye, and Pike. All in the same lake. It didn't hurt that those fish were several pounds when they escaped. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't a world record sized triploid bow come out of there??? It lived long enough to get big.

There is no doubt in my mind that any Lakers stocked in 44 or 45 are now extinct. The lake obviously did not have the right habitat for them.

As for whether or not someone caught a Rainbow in Sylvan....If some wingnuts are running around dumping perch in every pot hole they find why couldn't someone take a bucket of trout from their private pond (irresponsible jerks they would be) and dump it in Sylvan. By some sheer fluke one might last long enough to be caught. :shark:

I wouldn't think it likely, but I wouldn't call anyone a liar if they claimed it happened.....even though they are a fisherman.....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

I hear you, BUT, If we are talking Lakers here they are not anything like Rainbows (which are trout and can tolerate warmer water and a wider range of habitat).

Lakers are char and require cold water, high O2 levels, and specific habitat. This is why they are not found in many warmer and/or shallower lakes.

I'm pretty surprised to hear they tried stocking them in there. I would have thought they would have known better.

338Bluff
08-21-2011, 08:54 PM
I hear you, BUT, If we are talking Lakers here they are not anything like Rainbows (which are trout and can tolerate warmer water and a wider range of habitat).

Lakers are char and require cold water, high O2 levels, and specific habitat. This is why they are not found in many warmer and/or shallower lakes.

I'm pretty surprised to hear they tried stocking them in there. I would have thought they would have known better.

It was 1944. They tried a lot of stuff.

Did you read the post. I said that there was no habitat and that is why there are not lakers in Sylvan to this day.

Thanks for the biology lesson. :sHa_sarcasticlol: