PDA

View Full Version : Window Moutain Lake

lippy
08-11-2011, 07:21 PM
I am wondering if this lake has golden trout in it? I was told it does but dont believe it... ???

npauls
08-11-2011, 08:42 PM
From what I have been told by buddies that fish is that its just rainbows up there. There is a only a few lakes in Alberta with Goldens and they are all high alpine lakes.

Scott N
08-11-2011, 10:13 PM
like npauls said, no, it does not have goldens.

Scott N
08-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Has anyone been up to Window Mountain Lake? I tried once before but couldn't find the trail head, and I wasn't sure exactly where the lake is. How is the hike? I'm debating about hiking in with my belly boat.

geezer55
08-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Take the road to the Atlas Staging Area and keep going up the road to kilometer 14 sign. Turn left there, you will come to one parking area or if you have a high clearance vehicle you can continue on to the trail head. From there it is about a 30 minute hike. Just continue hiking up, there is one spot it looks like the trail heads down, don't do it, all it does is lead back down to the parking area, at that point go up the rock steps and from there the lake is easy to find. Have seen others carry belly boats up to the lake. Took me a couple of times to get to find the lake.

lippy
08-12-2011, 04:24 PM
like npauls said, no, it does not have goldens.

thats what I thought ..thanks.

Scott N
08-12-2011, 04:52 PM
thats what I thought ..thanks.

It's Southforks / Barnaby Lake on Barnaby Ridge, and Rainy Ridge Lake, both near the Castle ski hill that have goldens in the south. I'm planning on hiking up to Barnaby Ridge sometime in the next week or two to try my luck.

Scott N
08-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Take the road to the Atlas Staging Area and keep going up the road to kilometer 14 sign. Turn left there, you will come to one parking area or if you have a high clearance vehicle you can continue on to the trail head. From there it is about a 30 minute hike. Just continue hiking up, there is one spot it looks like the trail heads down, don't do it, all it does is lead back down to the parking area, at that point go up the rock steps and from there the lake is easy to find. Have seen others carry belly boats up to the lake. Took me a couple of times to get to find the lake.

Thanks for the info. I've had Window Mountain Lake marked on my GPS for a few years now, but still haven't been up. At least in theory I should be able to find it this time!

newguy
08-16-2011, 11:32 AM
we were up to the lake a couple weeks back. first 2 casts i caught 2 nice rainbows... then noithing for 3 hours. all over the lake can be good. sometimes you can spot and cast for them. dry flies at night are about the best way to catch them. during the day try a variety of spinners, just nothing too big. we will be there for ice fishing because my buddy tells me they hit on almost anything dropped down the hole. just a side note. the hike is only 45-60 minutes but can be challenging because it is steep. if its raining or has recently rained it will be slippery...