PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Walleye around Edmonton

0liver
08-12-2011, 11:24 AM
I was wondering if there is anywhere around edmonton [less then half a days travel] where you can catch and keep a quality walleye without having to apply for tags beforehand,

thanks in advance.

oliver

Itsmyfishingshow
08-12-2011, 11:42 AM
i really want to know too!

NSRfishing
08-12-2011, 12:05 PM
if there is i suspect people are going to be tight lipped about it best to just pick up copy of the regs and do some research

i dont eat fish so i have no clue

Jimmyjjj
08-12-2011, 12:34 PM
i dont eat fish so i have no clue

None??? No crabs/lobster? No halibut/salmon?

Allergic? or just don't like the taste/texture?

Maybe you just haven't had the right fish yet...

FishingFrenzy
08-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Well..Calling Lake isn't exactly a secret...

0liver
08-12-2011, 01:07 PM
do you need a boat to fish calling? if so pm me some depth tips if you feel generous.. thanks for the reply

FishingFrenzy
08-12-2011, 01:22 PM
do you need a boat to fish calling? if so pm me some depth tips if you feel generous.. thanks for the reply

I've only fished it once in the winter, but you can keep walleye out of there if they are in the slot size.

Itsmyfishingshow
08-12-2011, 01:38 PM
if youre going to calling lake you might as well go to lesser slave. its only about 20-30 min farther

Willowtrail
08-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Calling, Fawcett, Slave. All in that same area. Most require boats. There is South Buck as well.

The campground at Fawcett rents boats I believe.

At Calling, go where all the others are.

Albertafisher
08-12-2011, 07:36 PM
A lot of people may not like this idea, but in moderate amounts, the fish from the Athabasca river are edible. And you can fish from shore. My friend's family fishes there every fall and loads up on walleye (within the limits obviously) and eats them throughout the year. Apparently try to keep the yellow walleye and not the white walleye. The white walleye are consistent dwellers in the river system and may have picked up more mercury and pollutants. The yellow walleye are migrating from lakes into the river. I do not know if this information is true, I just am repeating what I've heard.

BGSH
08-12-2011, 08:57 PM
you can keep walleyes in pembina river, but i encourage c&r,cheers

Dust1n
08-12-2011, 09:11 PM
A lot of people may not like this idea, but in moderate amounts, the fish from the Athabasca river are edible. And you can fish from shore. My friend's family fishes there every fall and loads up on walleye (within the limits obviously) and eats them throughout the year. Apparently try to keep the yellow walleye and not the white walleye. The white walleye are consistent dwellers in the river system and may have picked up more mercury and pollutants. The yellow walleye are migrating from lakes into the river. I do not know if this information is true, I just am repeating what I've heard.

IMO i dont think its correct we get the 2 toned walleye at sylvan lake all the time and theres only one stream they can travel up but the town blocked it off.
im sure theres nothin differnt about them mabe just sitting in differnt inviroments.
sorry about the fish handling guys.
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/Walleye%20Sauger/616.jpg
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/Walleye%20Sauger/gtrvd.png

Albertafisher
08-12-2011, 09:11 PM
you can keep walleyes in pembina river, but i encourage c&r,cheers

I agree, the Pembina isn't a big river, so the keeping of fish is magnified. Just C&R.

Albertafisher
08-12-2011, 09:15 PM
IMO i dont think its correct we get the 2 toned walleye at sylvan lake all the time and theres only one stream they can travel up but the town blocked it off.
im sure theres nothin differnt about them mabe just sitting in differnt inviroments.
sorry about the fish handling guys.

But I'm talking about milk white or silver walleye, not just faded colors. Of course walleye will change color to their environment. But not the the level that they do in the Athabasca. There are two clear differences. I'm not saying I'm right, or your wrong. Just adding my thoughts :)

Dust1n
08-12-2011, 09:18 PM
But I'm talking about milk white or silver walleye, not just faded colors. Of course walleye will change color to their environment. But not the the level that they do in the Athabasca. There are two clear differences. I'm not saying I'm right, or your wrong. Just adding my thoughts :)

ohh ok well i guess you know if my pics arnt too informative ill look it up. what about the purple walleye? mabe thats it not too sure i havent got 2 differnt walleye out there.

Kim473
08-13-2011, 05:32 AM
if youre going to calling lake you might as well go to lesser slave. its only about 20-30 min farther

Calling is your best bet. Guarented you will catch. About 2 hrs away. Ive gone on days and have caught 50 or more in 4 hours. Went once and had my 2 keepers in less than an hour. Drive two hrs, take a 1/2 hr to get the boat out and catch your fish in an hr. LOL. Beaver is a good lake too but about 3 hrs away and only can keep one fish. Need a good boat on both lakes. A 14 ft aluminum will work but Calling can get very rough on a windy day and the 14 ft aluminum won't cut it on a windy day. Becarefull out there and watch the weather.

0liver
08-13-2011, 11:43 AM
thanks again for the responses guys,

oliver