PDA

View Full Version : Teaching my 7 year old son to fish.... HELP!

flyfisherman
08-13-2011, 11:51 AM
I am planning on a overnight camping trip today with my son who is 7 and I want to teach him to fish. I would like to find a place with good shore fishing within an hour or so of Edmonton, somewhere with a good chance of him getting a fish. I'm afraid that if I take him somewhere and we don't catch something he might not want to go out again with me. If anyone has an ideas of a good place i would really appreciate the help!

0liver
08-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Google stocked trout ponds around edmonton, you'll be able to catch and keep some quality fish, and getting a good trout on and watching his face light up when it clears a foot and a half above the water will get both you and him hooked for life...

chickacoo, saur, star, beumont pond, leduc res, all come to mind

idk about camping though, you'd have to do a bit of research

Dust1n
08-13-2011, 12:13 PM
sylvan lake will be an awsome place to fish for walleye with bait and you dont need to cast far. its about a little over hour away

0liver
08-13-2011, 12:31 PM
sylvan lake will be an awsome place to fish for walleye with bait and you dont need to cast far. its about a little over hour away

good call.

TheLegend
08-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Don't go to beaumont pond. It is fished out with only a few fish left. Last three times there have been very sloooww.

theking
08-13-2011, 11:17 PM
go to the river and catch some goldeye, thier easy and fight great.

GummyMonster
08-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Best bet is to make a fun day he will remember , fish or no fish. My 3 kids love to go, but they have low attention spans, so we pack heavy. Books, games, whatever he likes to do. Best way to get him out again is have fun.
Good luck
Ken

fishdude17
08-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Best bet is to make a fun day he will remember , fish or no fish. My 3 kids love to go, but they have low attention spans, so we pack heavy. Books, games, whatever he likes to do. Best way to get him out again is have fun.
Good luck
Ken

Agreed. If he gets bored of fishing, don't insist that he keep on fishing...that's a sure way to make it not fun for a young one.

pattycr125
08-16-2011, 09:38 PM
you could go to the burbank campground by blackfalds, the river is right there i catch fish there every time i go there.

wildcat111
08-16-2011, 10:19 PM
i don't live near edmonton , but working up by morningville i fish the lake by the morningville campground, i used orange powerbait and caught hundreds, easy fishing for a young one.