PDA

View Full Version : Truck tires

Elkaholic6
08-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Gotta put new tires on my truck and was wondering what I should look into. Gonna be on alot of gravel roads. 50/50 Highway and gravel. What's everyone running?

huntin
08-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Gotta put new tires on my truck and was wondering what I should look into. Gonna be on alot of gravel roads. 50/50 Highway and gravel. What's everyone running?

Check out the nito line they got some great tires out

Elkaholic6
08-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Check out the nito line they got some great tires out

Terra Grappler or Trail Grappler?

whitetailman
08-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Kelly safari tsr great tire and good price

Ice Fishing Maniac
08-14-2011, 02:17 PM
GoodYear Wrangler Duratracs

A buddy ran the new Nitto's on his CC diesel- low mileage...sucked in the winter

buckbrushoutdoors
08-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Toyo mt's or open country's get my pick on a truck

killerbren
08-14-2011, 02:21 PM
I've been in the market for new truck tires as well. Alot changes with what type of truck you are driving. A gas 1/2 ton would be alot different then lets say a 1 ton diesel, with the weight and torque. I have a f150 4x4 and all the reviews i've read say the nitto terra grapplers are a really good tire. Unfortunately theres only a few places that sell them in canada and I phoned down to the states and they told me they dont have a size for my truck. Ive also heard good things about the bf goodrich all terrain ta ko tires. Expensive but apparently have really good tread wear. Oh and the tires Ive been looking at have been more for 80% highway 20% gravel and off road, so that would change things as well. good luck.

Elkaholic6
08-14-2011, 02:31 PM
I've been in the market for new truck tires as well. Alot changes with what type of truck you are driving. A gas 1/2 ton would be alot different then lets say a 1 ton diesel, with the weight and torque. I have a f150 4x4 and all the reviews i've read say the nitto terra grapplers are a really good tire. Unfortunately theres only a few places that sell them in canada and I phoned down to the states and they told me they dont have a size for my truck. Ive also heard good things about the bf goodrich all terrain ta ko tires. Expensive but apparently have really good tread wear. Oh and the tires Ive been looking at have been more for 80% highway 20% gravel and off road, so that would change things as well. good luck.

I've got the same truck as you. I think our local Kal-Tire carries Nittos, my Dad got a quote for $1600 for his F-350.

whitetail Junkie
08-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Cooper Tires,Toyo,Bf all terrains...lots of good tires out there.

Elkaholic6
08-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Cooper Tires,Toyo,Bf all terrains...lots of good tires out there.

My Dad has BF All Terrains on his Super Duty and the gravel destroyed them. He has about 20,000 on them and they're just about pooched already. His Toyo Open Country's lasted 60,000 I think.

killerbren
08-14-2011, 03:10 PM
hmmm, looks like my research isnt over. I was all set to go with the bf goodrich all terrain ta ko's. Back to the drawing board...

1shotwade
08-14-2011, 03:19 PM
I have been running bridgestone atp 4's Excellent for towing,winter and gravel! i have over 20 k on them and they look brand new! Chewd thru some mud too! :)

bowhunter9841
08-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Anyone running the Yokohama geolanders? I'm thinking about buying some for my 1/2 ton dodge. 70% highway, and 30% gravel/ mud

Elkaholic6
08-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Anyone running the Yokohama geolanders? I'm thinking about buying some for my 1/2 ton dodge. 70% highway, and 30% gravel/ mud

We run them on our company trucks. Seem to hold up really well. And almost all of our driving is on gravel.

BrownBear416
08-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Cooper Stt's..

Best tires I have ever run. My buddies who run toyo's have tons of flats and the one time I ran them I wanted to slit my wrists..

3rd set of coopers, 0 flats, good traction in any situation and smooth on the highway..

Last set i got almost 17 months out of and this is 90% off road in some of the worst road conditions Alberta has to over..

I trust my life to Coopers and you can to :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Ryry4
08-14-2011, 07:01 PM

That's what I've got on my truck right now. I've put about 10,000 km on them so far and so far so good. I've ran Nitto Terra Grapplers on the Dodge I used to have and they were good tires.

svtdjm
08-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Canadian tire Goodyear Territory. I got the 265 70 17 on my f-150 and are cheap, wicked traction on and off, snow or mud. Got 40000km on em now and about half wore out. Deal on now buy 3 get 4th free. Made up to 18 inch rims.

Elkaholic6
08-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Cooper Stt's..

Best tires I have ever run. My buddies who run toyo's have tons of flats and the one time I ran them I wanted to slit my wrists..

3rd set of coopers, 0 flats, good traction in any situation and smooth on the highway..

Last set i got almost 17 months out of and this is 90% off road in some of the worst road conditions Alberta has to over..

Where'd you get yours from? On Coopers site it says Valleyview is the only place in Northern AB??

I'm thinking Coopers or Nittos.

BrownBear416
08-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Any tirecraft location or Kal tire..

They are a little pricey compared to other tires but they are worth it imo..

I have never tried the Nittos but lots of people seem to really have good luck with them as well..

Elkaholic6
08-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Any tirecraft location or Kal tire..

They are a little pricey compared to other tires but they are worth it imo..

I have never tried the Nittos but lots of people seem to really have good luck with them as well..

Ha what's expensive to you?

Apparently our Kal Tire doesn't, cuz I just texted my buddy who's Dad owns Kal and says they don't?

BrownBear416
08-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Ha what's expensive to you?

Apparently our Kal Tire doesn't, cuz I just texted my buddy who's Dad owns Kal and says they don't?

Hmmm Kal tire here said they could get them..

305s are around 1600 with 16 inch rim and 35s are 1800 with 17 inch.

They say the Nittos are crazy loud on the hway :)

Elkaholic6
08-14-2011, 07:42 PM

I'm pretty sure my Lariat has 18's.. And yeah that is pretty expensive haha. Loud tires aren't a big deal ha dual exhaust is loud enough as is.

BrownBear416
08-14-2011, 07:49 PM
I'm pretty sure my Lariat has 18's.. And yeah that is pretty expensive haha. Loud tires aren't a big deal ha dual exhaust is loud enough as is.

ohhhhhhh your gonna need a loan for 18s lol Cheaper to just hoof it to the field where you film the Neature shows:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Rackmastr
08-14-2011, 07:55 PM
BB,

How do you like tread wear on the Coopers? I was considering the ST Maxx on my Nissan Titan but not sure its too aggressive for my needs. I dont really want gas mileage to suffer too much but want good on-road and off-road performance. They look like an amazing tire but not sure how they will handle icey roads, etc...

Elkaholic6
08-14-2011, 08:00 PM
ohhhhhhh your gonna need a loan for 18s lol Cheaper to just hoof it to the field where you film the Neature shows:sHa_sarcasticlol:

The other truck I was gonna buy had 20's... :scared0018:

The Bit Runner.
08-14-2011, 08:04 PM

I have Nittos right now on mine, I have 18" 35's, They are lasting good for sure but i would never get another set, They are brutal loud on the pavement.

Rhino81
08-14-2011, 08:06 PM
I had kumho KL71 road ventures on my 08 f350 38/13.50/22 lots of hiway an a fair bit of gravel as well. I got 75,000 km out of them. They are reasonably priced and fairly aggressive. They are the best I have ran. Tried the bfg's, the toyo's and did not get over 30,000 km out of either. Running pro comp extreme mt on a duramax right now and they seem to be alright as well

BrownBear416
08-14-2011, 08:12 PM
BB,

How do you like tread wear on the Coopers? I was considering the ST Maxx on my Nissan Titan but not sure its too aggressive for my needs. I dont really want gas mileage to suffer too much but want good on-road and off-road performance. They look like an amazing tire but not sure how they will handle icey roads, etc...

Hey Rack,

I find them to be really good as far as wearing goes as long as you rotate them.Last set I got almost 17 months out of.I had one tread split on month 16 so I threw a spare on and got 1 more month out of them.lol I find them great in the mud and snow and they are very quiet and smooth on the highway.They are only 8 ply rated but I run the 12.5 wide so im told they are really close to 10 ply.I have had them on my 2500 gmc which is a heavy truck and have seen them on 350 fords as well. Probably 9 of those months would be straight off road and in 4x4 for the most part.The rest of the time would be highway and back roads for hunting. Also had 2 trips to the NWT and 1 trip to Wyoming on them.O flats on 3 sets so far.I have to admit that with the last 3 months of rain we have had that this set seems to be wearing a little quicker then the last but we shall have to wait and see.lol

BrownBear416
08-14-2011, 08:14 PM
I have Nittos right now on mine, I have 18" 35's, They are lasting good for sure but i would never get another set, They are brutal loud on the pavement.

HaHa ya i just read some reviews on them and the one guy said they are the same noise level as operating a small aircraft lol

ARGO GUY
08-14-2011, 08:22 PM
I have nitto's on my 2008 f350 and they have less than 40k on them and they are done. I think on a lighter truck they may fair better. I have Goodyear Duratrac's on the way.

elkoholik
08-14-2011, 08:27 PM
I have run the Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75/17 for 42k so far and still have half the tread, I have mostly ran highway with the off road/gravel during the hunting months and some during summer. They have been good so far with no flats as of yet and they are not noisy on the highway at all. I am looking into another set for later this year and have been quoted right around 1350 at Kal Tire. Ran the Cooper SST's (similar tread patterns to the Toyo Open Country) and was a good tire but tread life was not so good on the mostly gravel I ran at the time, switched to Toyo O/C and got much better tread life. Both tires were a little loud but for such an aggressive tire I didn't think they were too loud.

Elkaholic6
08-14-2011, 08:31 PM
I'm gonna get some prices for Toyo Open Country M/T's, Nitto Terra Grapplers, and Kumho Road Ventures M/T's. Any other suggestions??

I think Coopers are too rich for my blood haha

Marlin xl7
08-14-2011, 09:26 PM
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.ca/tire-selector/size/lthigh+flotation/31/10.50/15/Q/mud-terrain-t-a-km2/tire-details

These are going on my blazer, I have also done a lot of research and from work with my discount I can get these for around $750. I have heard of guys getting upwards of 100,000km out of them. but only time will tell if I like them or not.

whitetail Junkie
08-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Cooper Stt's..

My dad has the same tires and he always talks about how they are the best he has ever owned. when I get my new Truck I'll be buying cooper tires!:)

whitetail Junkie
08-14-2011, 09:39 PM
BB,

How do you find your Titan for Gas mileage?

bigben
08-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Wal mart specials baby way to go check them out at a store nearest you

New Hunter Okotoks
08-14-2011, 11:32 PM
I'm gonna get some prices for Toyo Open Country M/T's, Nitto Terra Grapplers, and Kumho Road Ventures M/T's. Any other suggestions??

You could also check out Costco. They list some of their stock on the website and you can price tires by vehicle or by size.

So far I have narrowed my choices down to:
Toyo Open Country M/T.
Toyo Open Country A/T.
Nokian Vatiiva M/T.
Cooper STT.

I found that the above are all fairly close in price and come in between $1275 to $1350 installed and balanced. Just to throw a wrench into things, I can get a set of BFG All Terrains and save about $200 OR I could get a set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T and save about $400! Now I really have to wonder if the high end ones are worth the extra $$$ for me. Decisions,decisions.

Ice Fishing Maniac
08-15-2011, 10:36 AM

I really likes the older tread pattern of the Geolanders before the new model come out in 2006/07. I ran several sets of these on a few trucks. We had one truck run the newer pattern....great wear!! We run about 50/50 to 60/40 asphalt/gravel. Not the best in the mud but worked ok. The Geolanders got 110K and had more left (about 10K) but winter was nearing and we now had switched to the GY Wrangler Duratracs.

For what you want, the Yokohomas will be good IMO.

Ice Fishing Maniac
08-15-2011, 10:39 AM
You could also check out Costco. They list some of their stock on the website and you can price tires by vehicle or by size.

Toyo Open Country M/T.
Toyo Open Country A/T.
Nokian Vatiiva M/T.
Cooper STT.

I found that the above are all fairly close in price and come in between $1275 to $1350 installed and balanced. Just to throw a wrench into things, I can get a set of BFG All Terrains and save about $200 OR I could get a set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T and save about $400! Now I really have to wonder if the high end ones are worth the extra $$$ for me. Decisions,decisions.

Only thing I can say about the Toyo OC MT's was that they wore very quickly on a GMC 1500 EC 4x4 that ran 70% pavement, 30% gravel and only got 50000 kms. I was going to run these and after the complaints from couple of friends...never did. We did run a couple trucks with the Coopers...worked good.

hunter49
08-15-2011, 10:43 AM

If you think coopers are expensive, wait until you get that quote for the toyos or nittos. I run cooper stt and love them!

Bearen09
08-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Toyo's mt are a great tire , but they wear fast and throw allot of rocks..

whitetailman
08-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Fierce m/t buddie runs 85% gravel has 40000 on them and still has half the tread left . I had a set on my old diesel and they were awesome and cheap!!

Muliemaster
08-15-2011, 01:00 PM
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.ca/tire-selector/size/lthigh+flotation/31/10.50/15/Q/mud-terrain-t-a-km2/tire-details

These are going on my blazer, I have also done a lot of research and from work with my discount I can get these for around $750. I have heard of guys getting upwards of 100,000km out of them. but only time will tell if I like them or not.

Those are great tires for certain applications... Winter is not one of them. I would advise against these tires for that reason. I've driven a few different types of vehicles with these on and they're all horrible. Unpacked snow is different, these excel. If there is any hint of ice, you're not stopping. Siping and studding is an option if you are dead set on running them 12 months a year.

209x50
08-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Not Goodyears! I had 8 Wranglers separate on my 2010 F150 by 62,000 km and have 2 that just separated on the 2011 by 3,500 km. Pure garbage.

sheephunter
08-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Not Goodyears! I had 8 Wranglers separate on my 2010 F150 by 62,000 km and have 2 that just separated on the 2011 by 3,500 km. Pure garbage.

A few less tires but same experience here!

Okotokian
08-15-2011, 01:32 PM
We run them on our company trucks. Seem to hold up really well. And almost all of our driving is on gravel.

Really? My Rav4 original tires were Geolanders. Not very aggressive at all. Seemed to me like your average all-season pavement tire. Strikes me they might be OK for gravel, but I wouldn't have trusted them in mud or any more than a couple inches of snow. Perhaps they have changed in the past 4 years or there are different versions.

Rackmastr
08-15-2011, 01:45 PM
How do you find your Titan for Gas mileage?

Titans all like to burn a little extra fuel just for fun! :sHa_shakeshout:

They arent amazing on mileage, but they arent horrible. A TON of power and easy to drive, it just isnt a gas saving truck. Then again, I didnt buy it to be a gas saver!

lund17
08-15-2011, 01:46 PM

With that much gravel you need to be running Toyo M55. If you dont want to spend the money on those then go with the Toyo Open Country or Michelin LTX AT2. I look after a fleet of oilfeild service trucks and have tried everything that has been listed in this forum and more, including the chinese made stuff. Those are my top three choices.

Private Ear
08-15-2011, 01:46 PM

Same experience with the Wranglers. Turned me off of Goodyear!

RumRugby
08-15-2011, 01:52 PM
We've always used one of these on our trucks:

Hercules Terra Trac A/T:
http://www.herculestire.com/catalogHercules/herculesTT_AT.asp
Hercules Terra Trac A/W:
http://www.herculestireca.com/catalogHercules/herculesTT_AW.asp
BFG Rugged Trail T/A:
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/name/rugged-trail-t-a-tires

Might not be as aggressive as those others you've narrowed down to but they seem to work well in mud, ice, highway, city driving and last reasonably well. They're pretty cost effective as well.

bigdaddy37
08-15-2011, 01:55 PM
goodyear wranglers on wifeypoo's Durango. Very happy with them and will get them again.

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ on the F350. Good wearing tire but a bit noisy on pavement. No issues on gravel or off-road.

Cowboyclay
08-15-2011, 02:17 PM

Toyo Open Country M/T.
Toyo Open Country A/T.
Nokian Vatiiva M/T.
Cooper STT.

what size of rims are on your truck, if 16, then i would try the toyo open country m606, or m55 i personally like the m606, if they made them bigger than 16 inch i would get them in a heartbeat. A friend of mine has the m55 and has loved them. I have the bf goodrich rugged trail ta, and I have found that they arent very good at all in snow and mud. Never buy them again.

New Hunter Okotoks
08-15-2011, 02:45 PM
what size of rims are on your truck, if 16, then i would try the toyo open country m606, or m55 i personally like the m606, if they made them bigger than 16 inch i would get them in a heartbeat. A friend of mine has the m55 and has loved them. I have the bf goodrich rugged trail ta, and I have found that they arent very good at all in snow and mud. Never buy them again.

So,I bought some tires. After all the good stuff I heard here about Coopers,I did some research online. Lots of praise and very few complaints. I ended up going with Cooper Zeon LTZ. I think I will trade off a little wee bit of hardcore,offroad abilities(that I don't really need anyways) and gain quite a bit of winter advantage. I shopped around Calgary and area and Tirecraft at the Roadking on Barlow had the lowest price by $150.00. I did not even bother to haggle. He had them brought in while I drove in from Okotoks and installed them within an hour.

If you're shopping around in Calgary and want to get a price on tires,make sure to include this place to get a price.

sprinklerdog
08-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Had bfg muds on my jeep and they were only good in mud, gravel,deep snow, they sucked on wet pavement and were marginal on dry. Had bfg all seasons on my ram it they were only good on pavement. Put a set of bridgestone revo 2 on my armada and loved them all the way around. So much so I just put a second set on the armada and my titan will get a set when the current tires need replacing. 18" tires fully installed with taxes cost me just under $1200. Pricing was down a couple hundred from two years ago, go figure.

Geo

Elkaholic6
08-15-2011, 04:00 PM
I honestly have no idea what size of tires to put on my truck. 275/65 or what?? 18 inch rim.

CDone
08-15-2011, 04:31 PM
With that much gravel you need to be running Toyo M55. If you dont want to spend the money on those then go with the Toyo Open Country or Michelin LTX AT2. I look after a fleet of oilfeild service trucks and have tried everything that has been listed in this forum and more, including the chinese made stuff. Those are my top three choices.

I'm running the M55's on my F-150, not sure how many Km's I've got on them but its a lot. They are great on gravel, extremely hard compound tire but you do have to put up with a deafening road when driving on pavement as well they are not great in Mud or Snow (although rated as a M&S tire:huh: )

Colin

Nomad
08-15-2011, 04:34 PM
I don't know much about tires but the guys at work order alot from these guys.

http://www.tirerack.com/

Elkaholic6
08-15-2011, 04:39 PM
I got quoted $1,300 for 265/70/18's Nitto Terra Grapplers. I think I'm sold.

Ice Fishing Maniac
08-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Same experience with the Wranglers. Turned me off of Goodyear!

The Wrangler Silent Armors or the Duratracs??

Never ran the Silent Armors, but at least I can say the Duratracs are sure holding up great.

colour86
08-15-2011, 05:11 PM
DURATRACS! As big as you can fit.
I have run mine through everything from 2ft deep snow to 2 ft deep mud and they seem to pull you out of everything. Favorite tires i have run so far.

New Hunter Okotoks
08-15-2011, 05:20 PM
I got quoted $1,300 for 265/70/18's Nitto Terra Grapplers. I think I'm sold.

If that's the "All In" price,it's a good one. I was quoted that much as an all in price for LT265/75/16's.

I hated it when I received quotes that seemed great and I was ready to pull the trigger on a deal and when I asked: All in? it was anywhere from $60.00 to over $200 higher than the quoted "just tires" price. "Well sir,it's 25 dollars each for balancing,20 dollars each to install,5 dollar tire levy and then GST on top of everything:angry3:.

BTW,I paid $1040 all in today for my Cooper Zeon's. If you just look at the Cooper website,the photos do not portray the true depth of the tread. Google other pics to get a different perspective. I would put up pics of mine but the wife "misplaced" the camera. She's been telling me for a month that it's not lost;it's misplaced! LOL!

Elkaholic6
08-15-2011, 05:22 PM
If that's the "All In" price,it's a good one. I was quoted that much as an all in price for LT265/75/16's.

I hated it when I received quotes that seemed great and I was ready to pull the trigger on a deal and when I asked: All in? it was anywhere from $60.00 to over $200 higher than the quoted "just tires" price. "Well sir,it's 25 dollars each for balancing,20 dollars each to install,5 dollar tire levy and then GST on top of everything:angry3:.

BTW,I paid $1040 all in today for my Cooper Zeon's. If you just look at the Cooper website,the photos do not portray the true depth of the tread. Google other pics to get a different perspective. I would put up pics of mine but the wife "misplaced" the camera. She's been telling me for a month that it's not lost;it's misplaced! LOL!

$1,309.48 for 4 P265/70R18's, changeover, wheel balance, valve stems, and torqued.

Is that a good size tho? I have no idea what size to run.

New Hunter Okotoks
08-15-2011, 05:24 PM
DURATRACS! As big as you can fit.
I have run mine through everything from 2ft deep snow to 2 ft deep mud and they seem to pull you out of everything. Favorite tires i have run so far.

I was told that there was 1 (ONE) tire in my size in Canada. The guy at Poorboy Tire here in Calgary said he had no idea why there is no stock available and he had no idea when to expect some. I have a GMC 1/2 ton,so it's not like I needed an oddball size. My guess is that Goodyear is probably running production on Winter tires.

APA
08-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Two of my cuzs are running hankooks m/ts n they liked them so much that when there first pair wore out they bought them again! That say there excellent in mud! There running half ton trucks!

New Hunter Okotoks
08-15-2011, 05:30 PM
$1,309.48 for 4 P265/70R18's, changeover, wheel balance, valve stems, and torqued.

What size is currently on your truck? I think you can change the sizing a little bit on the width and the height (the 1st 2 numbers in the size) but you cannot put a different rim size on which is the lat number (18). If,on your current vehicle the last number in your size is 18,then the new tire must also be 18.

That price is very good from the shopping I have done.

Elkaholic6
08-15-2011, 05:31 PM
What size is currently on your truck? I think you can change the sizing a little bit on the width and the height (the 1st 2 numbers in the size) but you cannot put a different rim size on. If,on your current vehicle the last number in your size is 18,then the new tire must also be 18.

That price is very good from the shopping I have done.

265/65 I think is stock. I am not sure.

New Hunter Okotoks
08-15-2011, 05:33 PM
265/65 I think is stock. I am not sure.

Do you have the vehicle where you are? If so,go and check the sidewall of the tire to make sure before you buy. I think you will have no trouble as long as they are both for 18 inch rims.

Elkaholic6
08-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Do you have the vehicle where you are? If so,go and check the sidewall of the tire to make sure before you buy. I think you will have no trouble as long as they are both for 18 inch rims.

No I don't. But I'll do some searching on the internet and see what I can come up with...

player86
08-15-2011, 05:34 PM
New Hunter,
What size of Coopers Zeon's did you install? I am looking the same tire.
Did you get yours at the Tirecraft at the Roadking?

New Hunter Okotoks
08-15-2011, 05:37 PM
New Hunter,
What size of Coopers Zeon's did you install? I am looking the same tire.
Did you get yours at the Tirecraft at the Roadking?

Hey,Player.

I got LT265/75/16 installed. Yes,at the Tirecraft at the Roadking.

Spidey
08-15-2011, 05:47 PM
I may get smacked upside the head for this suggestion but when I bought my F250 a couple years ago it had brand new Dayton Timberline AT's (Commercial) on it. The tires looked agressive enough for my off road needs. I got a good deal on the truck so I thought what the heck, even if I have to replace them after 40,000Km, with Nittos or Coopers I'll still be ahead.

Well, it's exactly 38,000 km later the tires are showing very little wear (the Ford dealership after doing a rotation last week actually thought they were just put on.) The highway noise isn't near as bad as the Wranglers I've had and handling in snow is decent enough for me not to warrant installing winter tires.

Consumer Reports gives these tires a "best buy" rating and I think I concur.

New Hunter Okotoks
08-15-2011, 05:54 PM
I may get smacked upside the head for this suggestion but when I bought my F250 a couple years ago it had brand new Dayton Timberline AT's (Commercial) on it. The tires looked agressive enough for my off road needs. I got a good deal on the truck so I thought what the heck, even if I have to replace them after 40,000Km, with Nittos or Coopers I'll still be ahead.

Well, it's exactly 38,000 km later the tires are showing very little wear (the Ford dealership after doing a rotation last week actually thought they were just put on.) The highway noise isn't near as bad as the Wranglers I've had and handling in snow is decent enough for me not to warrant installing winter tires.

Consumer Reports gives these tires a "best buy" rating and I think I concur.

I sure won't smack you upside the head! LOL! I just took Dayton Timberline HT's off my truck. I just wanted something more aggressive on my truck. They were on the truck when I bought it and are probably still at about 50-60%. I was considering keeping them for a 2nd set but I will probably be selling them on Kijiji. The wife is not happy that I bought these ones today! I took the old"better to beg forgiveness than ask permission" route.

Spidey
08-15-2011, 06:07 PM
I sure won't smack you upside the head! LOL! I just took Dayton Timberline HT's off my truck. I just wanted something more aggressive on my truck. They were on the truck when I bought it and are probably still at about 50-60%. I was considering keeping them for a 2nd set but I will probably be selling them on Kijiji. The wife is not happy that I bought these ones today! I took the old"better to beg forgiveness than ask permission" route.

My ATs are the off road version of your HTs so there's a little more "chunk" to them. I'm really impressed with the wear so far as well. Judging by the small rocks I notice that are lodged in my tires when I park, it's not surprising I don't get too many tail-gaters.

Next time you could try what I do with my wife when I buy something new that (in her eyes) is not necessary. First off, I just don't tell her - and then later (hopefully much later) when she notices I say something like "Oh, THOSE tires? I've had them for awhile now, you just musn't have noticed. I think I mentioned it to you." It's a little more risky of a move but it's worked a couple times now with some shop tools I bought. Although, with this strategy you would definitely be risking the goal you have in the first line of your signature......:)

BallCoeff.435
08-15-2011, 06:10 PM

Dick Cepek FCII's are great on gravel and rocks, fibrous mud, typical field conditions, wet snow and mud/snow. Probably sand too. They're also very stiff and very heavy, as well as a bit wider than a typical offroad tire. Which is probably why they do so well in gravel. Haven't tried plowing or disking with them yet tho' :)

Not so good in wet pavement or freezing rain, but then you shouldn't be giving full gas with an empty box in those conditions anyway...

Rackmastr
08-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Hey,Player.

I got LT265/75/16 installed. Yes,at the Tirecraft at the Roadking.

I'd be curious to know how the Zeons are off-road and on ice/snow. They definitely look like an interesting tire. I've heard comments from people that they are more of a 'street/off-road' combo tire which gives me a bit of pause. They look sweet though!

New Hunter Okotoks
08-15-2011, 06:27 PM

Next time you could try what I do with my wife when I buy something new that (in her eyes) is not necessary. First off, I just don't tell her - and then later (hopefully much later) when she notices I say something like "Oh, THOSE tires? I've had them for awhile now, you just musn't have noticed. I think I mentioned it to you." It's a little more risky of a move but it's worked a couple times now with some shop tools I bought. Although, with this strategy you would definitely be risking the goal you have in the first line of your signature......:)

That was the original plan. I'm on one of my days off today and she called me about 2 hours ago and asked what I had done today......In that tone that seasoned wives have when they already know that the husband has done something. I figured that she had probably checked the Bank Card and I figured I may as well come clean right away than have her remind me. I also reminded her that safety is a top priority and I would just hate it if something tragic happened because I was too cheap to buy good tires.

I'm still trying to figure out what angle I should deploy when the "I NEED a new Sonar for Ice Fishing." subject comes up. I think that I will have someone post up "An Article" about some poor soul that lost his life out ice fishing. The clincher is to have the article state: " Experts agree that if the poor fellow had a new Marcum LX-7,he'd have made it." I think it'll work.

New Hunter Okotoks
08-15-2011, 06:31 PM
I'd be curious to know how the Zeons are off-road and on ice/snow. They definitely look like an interesting tire. I've heard comments from people that they are more of a 'street/off-road' combo tire which gives me a bit of pause. They look sweet though!

I think they'll work better in the winter. From what I had read on the internet,some of the other recommended tires were not that great in the winter. I think it's because of hard compounds and less rubber contacting the road on the more dedicated mud tires.

chuck0039
08-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Titans all like to burn a little extra fuel just for fun! :sHa_shakeshout:

They arent amazing on mileage, but they arent horrible. A TON of power and easy to drive, it just isnt a gas saving truck. Then again, I didnt buy it to be a gas saver!

I find that my Titans burns a little extra fuel when my foot is heavy, but if I set the cruise at 103km I seem to get better milage then if I set it at 109km.

I'm also in the market for new tires, so far I have looked at GY duratrac, Toyo open country but after reading about a few other tires on here I might do a little more investigating. I will change them before the first snow.

Elkaholic6
08-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Anyone hear of Fierce tires? I can probably get a steal on a set of Fierce Attitude M/T's.

BigBuck$
08-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Toyo's mt are a great tire , but they wear fast and throw allot of rocks..

I'll give you the rock throwing part but I have 75K on mine and they will go another 20 (or snow whatever happens first). Best MT's out there but you HAVE TO ROTATE THEM EVERY 10 - 12000Km's!!!

BigBuck$
08-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Oh ya, forgot to add in my last post: DON'T BUY THE BF AT'S IF YOU RUN ON GRAVEL!!! Way too soft and you will burn them up in 25000Km's, trust me I made that mistake!!! The MT BF's are a way better tire but still no comparison to the Toyo's.

Elkaholic6
08-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Oh ya, forgot to add in my last post: DON'T BUY THE BF AT'S IF YOU RUN ON GRAVEL!!! Way too soft and you will burn them up in 25000Km's, trust me I made that mistake!!! The MT BF's are a way better tire but still no comparison to the Toyo's.

Yup, my Dad made that mistake too lol

fordtruckin
08-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Anyone hear of Fierce tires? I can probably get a steal on a set of Fierce Attitude M/T's.

I talked with the tire guy we get our work trucks done at and he said they are made by Goodyear. He put a pair on his 3/4ton diesel truck last winter and siped them and he couldn't believe how great they were. They look good and have great tread blocks imo. I had a thread on it a few weeks ago as I hadn't heard of them before.

Ice Fishing Maniac
08-16-2011, 08:22 AM

Why would you buy "P - Passager" tires for your truck. Better to buy "LT" rated tires.....IMO:scared0018:

Bearen09
08-16-2011, 02:51 PM
I'll give you the rock throwing part but I have 75K on mine and they will go another 20 (or snow whatever happens first). Best MT's out there but you HAVE TO ROTATE THEM EVERY 10 - 12000Km's!!!

I have 12.5 x35's on 20'' rims wore really fast for me.. I have replaced them already at 52.000. I guess the fact that my desiel has lots of torque doesn't help...lol

Elkaholic6
08-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Why would you buy "P - Passager" tires for your truck. Better to buy "LT" rated tires.....IMO:scared0018:

Just what the dealer gave me.

theduke
08-16-2011, 11:27 PM
cooper zeon LTZ's i got them on my silverado and love them. its pretty much a sport tire crossed with an allterrian

bruinsmaniac
08-17-2011, 07:42 AM
GoodYear Wrangler Duratracs

A buddy ran the new Nitto's on his CC diesel- low mileage...sucked in the winter

X2 Awesome :snapoutofit:

Elkaholic6
11-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Since there is alot of tire threads going on, thought I'd bump this one.

Just ordered a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers 275 70's

Albertadiver
11-16-2011, 01:35 PM
I've been looking at tires too. I have goodyear wranglers on my 2010 F150 and never liked them.

Have it narrowed down to 275 65 R18 Nitto terra grappler's or the goodyear wrangler silent armour's in the same size. I am looking at a 10 ply due to towing etc.

Anyone want to convince me one way or another? I'm leaning towards the Nitto's.

sinawalli
11-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Since there is alot of tire threads going on, thought I'd bump this one.

Just ordered a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers 275 70's

You wont be disappointed! I have had 2 sets of them, and they are great. Not loud, but I dont give a *hit if they are anyway, good in snow, tow a trailer in the summer, all good. Ate a set of BFGs AT off in about 35000 kms, junk!!

Albertadiver
11-16-2011, 10:07 PM
You wont be disappointed! I have had 2 sets of them, and they are great. Not loud, but I dont give a *hit if they are anyway, good in snow, tow a trailer in the summer, all good. Ate a set of BFGs AT off in about 35000 kms, junk!!

That puts me over the edge.

I'm taking my truck into OK tire tommorrow!