PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Crawling Valley

FallAirFever
08-14-2011, 08:15 PM
I am heading to Crawling Valley with my sons and Father-in-law in a couple days. Probably be the only time we get to hit any lake this year. Been way too busy with basement renos and other crap I keep telling myself next year I wont be working on.

Anyways was hoping for a bit of help to hook into a couple pike and or walleye. Havent fished the lake before so any advise is welcome. What kind of depth this time of year, lures, techniques etc...

Thanks alot!

Rhino81
08-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Been there a few times with a bigrandy54. He fishes it all the time and we have had the best luck in 8 to 10 feet of water on the north west part of the lake. Into the narrows.

ArtVandelay
08-14-2011, 11:44 PM
My brother and I fished CVR a lot this season. Jigs and smelts or worms always work there but the best artificial lures for us have been, hands down, Rattlin' Raps in size 8. The top three colors were silver, gold and baby bass. Pike and Walleye can't seem to resist. Clackin Raps work well also. The last time we were there we had great luck on big 5" Yum Wooly Curltails - black with a blue tail. We rigged these on 1 oz jigs and I was surprised to see even the little Walleye take these. There aren't as many Pike around these days but there's still a few around in relatively shallow water.

Also, here are the approximate locations of 3 sunken islands you have to be careful of. You'll do damage if you hit these at full speed. Sorry I don't have exact GPS coordinates yet. Be careful navigating around the islands also. It's quite shallow around some of them. Good luck out there.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/jayvee42/Screenshot2011-08-14at112523PM.png

FallAirFever
08-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Thank-you very much for the tips and esp the warnings I will talk to my father in law about the suken island. Sure dont want to damage his new pontoon boat. 2 more days of hanging drywall in the basement and then the warden will let me out for a day!!

oilngas
08-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Just to reenforce; watch your sounder like a hawk!!! you can be in 40' up to 1' in a few seconds!!!

I like to bottom bounce just outside the weeds, have not been out this year but generally the weeds end at 18', try the structure from 18' to say 25'.