PDA

View Full Version : fishing above bearspaw dam?

joe_manix
08-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Hello guys, I was looking for information about fishing above the dam but all I could find is below the dam fishing and I gave my regulation book to a friend. so are you allow to fish above the dam??? thanks

TreeGuy
08-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Yes you can.....legally. Good luck with the access though.

leggacy
08-15-2011, 01:01 AM
its easy to get there just park were all the rafters park along the train tracks before that big hill. then walk towards dam.. there is a road that will take you to the upper side of the dam. people are always walking there dog there.

joe_manix
08-15-2011, 06:01 PM
its easy to get there just park were all the rafters park along the train tracks before that big hill. then walk towards dam.. there is a road that will take you to the upper side of the dam. people are always walking there dog there.

thanx the for the reply, I did see people with their dogs but i spotted no one fishing except around the lower dam. what works best above the dam and which is the better spot below or upper? thanks

leggacy
08-15-2011, 08:08 PM
i have only been a couple times but :

upper- more fish because less people go up there. go right beside the dam thats were i see more fish. i only hooked a very small trout. they seem all very small along the rocky shore. having a boat would be much better but you have to be a bearspaw resident i believe.

below- nice area for city fishing, easier shore fishing for big trout, but alot of people have fished here. try were the dam overflow enters the river. there is a large pool there.

the lower bow can hold more fish... to bad i live in the nw i rarely catch anything

im still looking for what lures work haha:(

joe_manix
08-15-2011, 09:24 PM
i have only been a couple times but :

upper- more fish because less people go up there. go right beside the dam thats were i see more fish. i only hooked a very small trout. they seem all very small along the rocky shore. having a boat would be much better but you have to be a bearspaw resident i believe.

below- nice area for city fishing, easier shore fishing for big trout, but alot of people have fished here. try were the dam overflow enters the river. there is a large pool there.

the lower bow can hold more fish... to bad i live in the nw i rarely catch anything

im still looking for what lures work haha:(

Great infos, I have been lucky around bowness park under the bridge but can't wait to try my luck upstream and above the dam. will keep you posted. thanks

Username_Taken
08-16-2011, 01:39 AM
Fished above the dam for years. It used to be one of my favorite places to fish. The keep limits are lower this year, so the increased pressure above the dam has most definitely had an impact. There is a boat launch at the dam itself, the only problem being no vehicle access. The real issue is the rail line and the gate that prevents any real equipment crossing the tracks. The gate can be opened with a key. Last year, ran into a guy who had one, was dropping his boat on the water! A whole other story!

The residents of Bearspaw have no access other than their own back yards. They have to drop their boats from shore on their own property. Not a fun task on a reservoir. I have been told that they are not allowed to alter the shore line in any way shape or form. There are a couple of pontoon boats and one very brave soul water skiing from time to time.

Landed lots on the fly. Small spinners work OK. Have taken the occasional fish on the spoon. The big fish are further out, and waders can only get you so far. If you don't mind the portage, getting a boat in there does the trick.

The best way to get a boat in there, is to float it in. Drop at the 22x overpass in Cochrane (the best spot to launch). Enjoy a nice float about an hour and a half, catch a few on the way. Then fish your day away above the dam. Portage is only one way, not two!!!

If you are on foot with the dam on your left and spillway on your right, walk along the spillway (water levels permitting of course) and there is a nice point after the spillway that juts out onto the water almost where the rail lines go around the corner. If the wind is cooperative the fly is your best option, however, if not, the spinner (comet gold #2) should have fish on if you are patient and willing to work the water. If you can get out on the water, a buzz bomb works almost every time! Crank baits work very well too (Rapala f7 [i think] brown or rainbow imitators).

I have seen guys pull fish out on the jig, minnows and worms mostly. I have noticed that over the past couple of years, the fishing has become more difficult. There are also more idiots than usual, hence the reason I have not fished it as much as before. There are still days where you can have the whole reservoir to yourself.

There is now further pedestrian access from the new Glenbow park in between Calgary and Cochrane. No boat launch I'm told. Haven't spent any time working or walking the waters from shore there yet!! Plan to take the fly rod for a walk this week!

joe_manix
08-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Fished above the dam for years. It used to be one of my favorite places to fish. The keep limits are lower this year, so the increased pressure above the dam has most definitely had an impact. There is a boat launch at the dam itself, the only problem being no vehicle access. The real issue is the rail line and the gate that prevents any real equipment crossing the tracks. The gate can be opened with a key. Last year, ran into a guy who had one, was dropping his boat on the water! A whole other story!

The residents of Bearspaw have no access other than their own back yards. They have to drop their boats from shore on their own property. Not a fun task on a reservoir. I have been told that they are not allowed to alter the shore line in any way shape or form. There are a couple of pontoon boats and one very brave soul water skiing from time to time.

Landed lots on the fly. Small spinners work OK. Have taken the occasional fish on the spoon. The big fish are further out, and waders can only get you so far. If you don't mind the portage, getting a boat in there does the trick.

The best way to get a boat in there, is to float it in. Drop at the 22x overpass in Cochrane (the best spot to launch). Enjoy a nice float about an hour and a half, catch a few on the way. Then fish your day away above the dam. Portage is only one way, not two!!!

If you are on foot with the dam on your left and spillway on your right, walk along the spillway (water levels permitting of course) and there is a nice point after the spillway that juts out onto the water almost where the rail lines go around the corner. If the wind is cooperative the fly is your best option, however, if not, the spinner (comet gold #2) should have fish on if you are patient and willing to work the water. If you can get out on the water, a buzz bomb works almost every time! Crank baits work very well too (Rapala f7 [i think] brown or rainbow imitators).

I have seen guys pull fish out on the jig, minnows and worms mostly. I have noticed that over the past couple of years, the fishing has become more difficult. There are also more idiots than usual, hence the reason I have not fished it as much as before. There are still days where you can have the whole reservoir to yourself.

There is now further pedestrian access from the new Glenbow park in between Calgary and Cochrane. No boat launch I'm told. Haven't spent any time working or walking the waters from shore there yet!! Plan to take the fly rod for a walk this week!

Because of Guys like you and a few others is the reason why this forum is so awesome! thanks for the help, will post pictures for sure. thanks

marlin1
08-16-2011, 05:28 PM
used to fish the res right near the dam with spinners , always produced a few trout . I've seen some decent ones taken on a spoon or bait years ago . Whitefish in there too along with some lakers if you can find them . I only ever saw a laker caught below the dam when the water was really high