PDA

View Full Version : Unusual find while fishing

klink1679
08-15-2011, 03:58 PM
I took my son fly fishing on the Kananaskis River on Saturday. We found a great pool by a log jam. He had never caught a fish on his fly rod before and managed to hook 8 little brookies that evening. While walking across the logs my friend stumbled across an urn someone had lost in the river...maybe threw it in the river...maybe it was buried beside the river and got washed out. Not sure how it ended up there. I can make out the name ??? Ryan Roberts on the bottom of the urn. I am not sure which is the first or last name or if it is the complete name. There is a date 2010 on the sticker and I think Foster's funeral home. Would be happy to give it back to the family if they want it back. It wasn't very well sealed so I think the ashes are back with nature. If all else fails I suppose it might make a cool cookie jar.

Scott N
08-15-2011, 04:08 PM
That is an unusual find, although I'm not sure how I would feel about eating cookies from it!

klink1679
08-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Forgot to add photos of the urn

pickrel pat
08-15-2011, 04:21 PM
I will buy it off you. My gf is going to need one. (she just backed into my quad about an hour ago. )

alacringa
08-15-2011, 04:28 PM
If you check Calgary obituaries from April 6-7, 2010, there is a name that matches the urn that you found.

Interesting find...I think I would have left it there, though....

Jorg
08-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Here's an interesting tidbit I learned yesterday that is somewhat related. It is against the law to spread or bury human ashes on public property.

Lefty-Canuck
08-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Interesting find...I think I would have left it there, though....

^^^^^
X2...

Maybe it was left in its entirety and wasn't meant to be found?....with all the rains this year it could have become part of a wash out....I would probably have left it or I would return it to the same area. Once a family has dealt with a loss its tough to be reminded of it....I would return it to the area and let sleeping dogs lie.

LC

Fly_Fish
08-15-2011, 04:36 PM
wow crazy find!
what are you planning on doing with it now?

timsesink
08-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Gorgeous photo's by the way

chubbdarter
08-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Gorgeous photo's by the way

Yes the first 3 are mostest bestest excellent....very nice

pikergolf
08-15-2011, 04:43 PM
^^^^^
X2...

Maybe it was left in its entirety and wasn't meant to be found?....with all the rains this year it could have become part of a wash out....I would probably have left it or I would return it to the same area. Once a family has dealt with a loss its tough to be reminded of it....I would return it to the area and let sleeping dogs lie.

LC

X 2 and remove the name from this thread.

klink1679
08-15-2011, 04:59 PM
I spoke with a lady at Fosters Chapel. Because the urn was empty it is nothing more than an urn...they said I could drop it off and they will deal with it for me.

fishstix
08-15-2011, 07:09 PM
does anyone here make their own soup?

BGSH
08-15-2011, 07:46 PM
im guessing that the person that passed away probably loved that area and love ones probably through the urn in the lake or a river near in that place, probably should have left it though, but what can you do, nice pictures by the way

horsetrader
08-15-2011, 07:59 PM
awesome shots

huntin'fool
08-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Sorry Klink, don't mean to be judging...but I can't believe you picked it up. I know what you're thinking...maybe someone lost it, but really...think about it.

Best Guide Shawn has it right.

Maybe your old man loved fly fishing with you, his son, more than anything else in the world...maybe his favorite river was the Kananaskis, maybe he loved being in the mountains. He passes away and is cremated...any ideas where you feel he might be best layed to rest?

This is pretty common practice believe it or not. My grandpa had a favorite place in the rocky mountains, some of our best memories together took place at this very location...when he passed away, it just seemed natural to lay him to rest in our special place.

Don't mean to beat a dead horse, what's done is done...but maybe you'll look at it differently if you should ever find yourself in that situation again...

On another note, excellent shots!! SO nice to see father and son out spending time together doing what they love!

Daceminnow
08-15-2011, 08:57 PM
i was going to hold out and not comment, but i just can't. really man. i guess guys and gals if you have intentions of having your loved ones spread some of your remains back into the country you loved to visit while you spent time on this earth, maybe ask them to leave the urn at home. ziplock bag and these people would not have to worry about someones wishes being disturbed by some fisherman. great pics op, i just can't believe you would even entertain picking up an urn in the back country. i can tell you one thing, it wasn't miss placed in the city somewhere and then magically ended up in a mountain stream. someone took it up into that country upon request.

Dace

klink1679
08-15-2011, 09:39 PM
I think before you guys spend too much time trying to roast me you have to remember it was an empty urn.....already emptied. In my mind nothing more than a cookie jar. I did not disturb any remains. How many people complain about people leaving beer cans in the woods or throwing them out of their boat into the rivers....but somehow this big can is ok to litter the river with. Thanks for the compliments on the photos.

BGSH
08-15-2011, 09:45 PM
yea very awsome place to fly fish, but was it a can?, thought it was a urn?? in a case with garbage is not suppose to be in the woods, a urn a lil different probably one of the only excptions as to leaving something in the woods and taking everything that came back out with you, i hope when i pass away someone leaves my urn far in the bush beside cowichin river vancouver island or somewhere northwest of Nordegg, as i do love it up there, i do not think as an urn as garbage.

Yea nice fish, looks like a great place for fly fishing, beautiful country out there, did you see any wildlife??

finsnfeathers
08-15-2011, 09:50 PM
tragic if the relatives are AO forum members or readers.

Paul C
08-15-2011, 09:51 PM
I think before you guys spend too much time trying to roast me you have to remember it was an empty urn.....already emptied. In my mind nothing more than a cookie jar. I did not disturb any remains. How many people complain about people leaving beer cans in the woods or throwing them out of their boat into the rivers....but somehow this big can is ok to litter the river with. Thanks for the compliments on the photos.
X2 You are correct. There is a place on the west coast where ashes have been spread in the depths of the pacific ocean which every one knows it is illegal but out of respect for the newly departed know one cares. The last thing every body wants to due to give more aggravation to the people who have lost there loved ones. I have recently released my Moms ashes into the deep blue ocean as per her wishes and will do the same for my Father when the time comes.
I think you have done the right thing and try to close the doors for the family who has lost a loved one.
I really think some people narrow views on this matter.:thinking-006:

klink1679
08-15-2011, 10:26 PM
yea very awsome place to fly fish, but was it a can?, thought it was a urn?? in a case with garbage is not suppose to be in the woods, a urn a lil different probably one of the only excptions as to leaving something in the woods and taking everything that came back out with you, i hope when i pass away someone leaves my urn far in the bush beside cowichin river vancouver island or somewhere northwest of Nordegg, as i do love it up there, i do not think as an urn as garbage.

Yea nice fish, looks like a great place for fly fishing, beautiful country out there, did you see any wildlife??

I don't think of the remains as garbage. Even though you can't lawfully spread ashes in the wild I don't have any issues with it. Anything else you leave behind in my opinion is garbage. Can you imagine what the rivers would look like if everyone who cremated a loved one disposed of their urn in a river after spreading the ashes?

Jimboy
08-16-2011, 01:02 AM
I spoke with a lady at Fosters Chapel. Because the urn was empty it is nothing more than an urn...they said I could drop it off and they will deal with it for me.

Sure they will , they,ll sell it again , you just removed someones spirit from the river he loved to fish , should have left it lay.

pickrel pat
08-16-2011, 06:26 AM
im glad you removed it. get that unatural gawdy thing out of my natural beautiful waters.

Jayhad
08-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Good on you, if there were no ashes in there it's just garbage no different from cleaning up beer cans. Thank you for your stewardship

bigcougar
08-16-2011, 10:36 AM
I don't think of the remains as garbage. Even though you can't lawfully spread ashes in the wild I don't have any issues with it. Anything else you leave behind in my opinion is garbage. Can you imagine what the rivers would look like if everyone who cremated a loved one disposed of their urn in a river after spreading the ashes?

You are correct. I would have done the same thing. Noone wants to be stumbling in empty or full urns while trying to relax on the river.

As to the laws prohibiting the spread of ashes over public land, this is something not only ridiculous but outrageous. We belong to nature and nature belongs to us. We do not need to buy a piece of land just so that our ashes can rest in peace.

HunterDave
08-16-2011, 11:05 AM
As previously mentioned by other posters you likely stumble upon the spot where his ashes were spread......that part of the tradition has been fulfilled. The urn that was left is simply a vessel that was used to transport the individual's ashes to the location and I don't think that it is of any spiritual significance once the ashes are out of it. If the ashes were still in it I might be inclined to try to find the rightful owners. Otherwise, do whatever you want with it with a clear conscience. :)

Joe Fehr
08-16-2011, 11:12 AM
You are correct. I would have done the same thing. Noone wants to be stumbling in empty or full urns while trying to relax on the river.

As to the laws prohibiting the spread of ashes over public land, this is something not only ridiculous but outrageous. We belong to nature and nature belongs to us. We do not need to buy a piece of land just so that our ashes can rest in peace.

The issue with spreading ashes is that it is unlawful to disturb a final resting place. Thus spreading ashes in a public place had to be unlawful as it becomes a final resting place.

Those are some nice photos Klink and good on ya for cleaning up behind others.

FishBrain
08-16-2011, 12:30 PM
yeah, it's just garbage. until you start getting haunted! Drop it off at the inlaws for a month and see if anything strange happens.

chubbdarter
08-16-2011, 12:32 PM
This whole thead..made me sleep with a night light on

WayneChristie
08-16-2011, 12:34 PM
its just an empty container, the ashes are where they should be already, if you are scared of haunts bring it to my place, we have room for a few more ghosts

ice
08-16-2011, 12:34 PM
yeah, it's just garbage. until you start getting haunted! Drop it off at the inlaws for a month and see if anything strange happens.

Lol!