PDA

View Full Version : Good gear worth the $$$$$?

Burns
08-15-2011, 07:39 PM
I am looking at seriously up grading my fishing gear and have been looking at a G Loomis rod (SJR722) and a Okuma reel (VSystem V-30a).

Does anyone have experience with this gear or anything like it? Is it really worth the several hundred dollars they charge for it?

Does anybody have advice for a sweet set up in the $500 - $1000 range?

Thanks for all replies!

Burns

BGSH
08-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Depends i guess on where you use your rod, if you fish from shore alot and hike in places, i would not want to spend over 700 for a rod on fears the rod will snap along the way, but if your in a pontoon boat or what ever it is it may be worth the money to have a great rod that will last a lifetime, i myself am looking for a fly reel my price limit is 500$ only if i can return my tfo rod though, g-loomis rods looks great and the fly reel is awsome as well, hardy aparently is good to if you want to spend more then 800$

Scott N
08-15-2011, 07:45 PM
A guy only lives once, splurge on yourself! (disclaimer.. it’s easy to spend someone else’s money.)

hunter49
08-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Check out the shimano stradic and st.croix rods (avid, legend tournaments) That will put you in $500 range and be more than enough rod/reel than you will ever need!

Dust1n
08-15-2011, 07:48 PM
the perfect setup for the species of alberta for me would be:
shimano stratic CI4. in black and red(STCI44000F)($220)
St.Croix legend elite 7ft 2 pc Meduim action Fast($340)
With 50lb red power pro.(i wished they made 50lb PLINE)

cmdalexander
08-15-2011, 08:00 PM
The nicest rod I have fished with, in a very long time is made by a newer company called Mystic. All their rods are hand wrapped and they havedeveloped a really nice tip - very forgiving - 5wt runs about 399.00

The company is call Mystic Outdoors.

As for Reel - in your price range Dainelson is the best you can get IMO, Fishtales in Calgary is the distributor for Alberta.

chubbdarter
08-15-2011, 08:04 PM
I am looking at seriously up grading my fishing gear and have been looking at a G Loomis rod (SJR722) and a Okuma reel (VSystem V-30a).

Does anyone have experience with this gear or anything like it? Is it really worth the several hundred dollars they charge for it?

Thanks for all replies!

Burns

Loomis is pure quality!!! Ive been a Loomis fan for years....Clean Classy rods with top of the line components.
I have 9 loomis rods right now and not one has disappointed me.
The only thing ive changed in my rod thinking is to get away from 1piece rods......the way they built rods now, there is little or no difference.
I have a few St Croixs but i believe the Loomis blanks are superior in balance and alot of Croixs look like a retard painted them.

Ive never owned Okuma

chubbdarter
08-15-2011, 08:06 PM
The nicest rod I have fished with, in a very long time is made by a newer company called Mystic. All their rods are hand wrapped and they havedeveloped a really nice tip - very forgiving - 5wt runs about 399.00

The company is call Mystic Outdoors.

As for Reel - in your price range Dainelson is the best you can get IMO, Fishtales in Calgary is the distributor for Alberta.

Fish Tales sells spinning rods and reels now?

BGSH
08-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Loomis is pure quality!!! Ive been a Loomis fan for years....Clean Classy rods with top of the line components.
I have 9 loomis rods right now and not one has disappointed me.
The only thing ive changed in my rod thinking is to get away from 1piece rods......the way they built rods now, there is little or no difference.
I have a few St Croixs but i believe the Loomis blanks are superior in balance and alot of Croixs look like a retard painted them.

Ive never owned Okuma

9 G-LOOMIS RODS, hey CHUBBDARTER am i in the will by any chance :D

Burns
08-15-2011, 08:10 PM
So a medium power fast action rod with a light reel and 8lb line is the best set up for alberta?

chubbdarter
08-15-2011, 08:12 PM
9 G-LOOMIS RODS, hey CHUBBDARTER am i in the will by any chance :D

I actually thinned the stable too.....hhhahhhhahhahaha

I do alot of fishing with the Quantum Tournament series rods.....they feel like a 300 buck rod for 1/2 the price and arent so technique specific. 3 rods in there line up do everything well.

chubbdarter
08-15-2011, 08:19 PM
So a medium power fast action rod with a light reel and 8lb line is the best set up for alberta?

That Loomis your looking at is a sweet stick. Its only out of its capabilities for sturgeon.
If i had to pick 1 rod it would be a med fast. Remember though other companies claim med fast, but lesser rods are like a wet noodle even though rated med/fast.
Im not sure how Okuma rates their reels but if its like shimano or quantum i would reconsider the 30 size....a 30 wont match well with that rod. No one needs that much 8lb line also.

Burns
08-15-2011, 08:39 PM
That Loomis your looking at is a sweet stick. Its only out of its capabilities for sturgeon.
If i had to pick 1 rod it would be a med fast. Remember though other companies claim med fast, but lesser rods are like a wet noodle even though rated med/fast.
Im not sure how Okuma rates their reels but if its like shimano or quantum i would reconsider the 30 size....a 30 wont match well with that rod. No one needs that much 8lb line also.

Thank you, I will take that into consideration!

FishGuy07
08-15-2011, 11:13 PM

Thanks for all replies!

Burns

You could wait a bit, if you want, for the new Shimano (and Daiwa) spinning reels to come out, Shimano Stradic and Sustain in particular. As far as G Loomis, I am sure every forum member here would agree that you can't go wrong with any of their models. Have fun picking up this setup (I am convinced you will :) )

buckmasterjr
08-16-2011, 12:06 AM
My choice would be a quantum tour edition reel ($280) with a fenwick hmg 6'6" ($90) this setup is my absolute favorite. it casts waaay farther then any of my baitcasters. I haven't tried any of those st croix's or loomis's so i couldn't tell you about those.

Burns
08-16-2011, 08:34 AM

Would you then consider a 15 or a 20 size to be a better fit?

benamen
08-16-2011, 09:11 AM
I have a Stella 2500 sitting on a G Loomis rod that works well for walleye and similar sized fish. Super smooth reel and the best drag of any reels that I own. You don't loose fish due to your drag locking up when you have a fish take a run when close to the boat.
When I go after large pike with big crankbaits I prefer a level wind reel and a rod with more backbone.

Teamprotz
08-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Before you blow the nest egg on a Loomis , check out the Gblanks rods on Ebay. We have 8 rods , both cast and spinning and for the price and quality I wouldn't look at a Loomis. Top of the line is $170 us plus shipping , most are $120 + , from walleye to lake trout , I love em.

bigcougar
08-16-2011, 11:01 AM

Not sure what you will be fishing for, but a 6' rod is something you can use on a small creek or from a boat. Judging from its rating, you need it for the second application.

A longer rod will be more versatile, comfortable and forgiving when fighting a fish.

For a rod of 6', I would go with something inexpensive of descent quality. I am quite happy with a China made Lamiglas rod I bought on E-bay. No lifetime warranty though.

chubbdarter
08-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Would you then consider a 15 or a 20 size to be a better fit?

I would definetly shake that stick at the store and feel what feels right to you.....the invention of super lines has really eliminated the need for large spooled reels for the most part for alberta fishing.

Just remember many lower end rods try to play in the premium rod market , but most fail. You have the bucks, no one should sway any fisherman the right to fish with a Top of the Line stick.

You can get to the same destination many ways

Walk/Hitch hike=25 buck rod
Ride the Bus= 40 buck rod
Take a cab= 80 buck rod
Drive a cadillac=150 buck rod
Take a Limo and make James drive= G. Loomis

Each gets you there but the last one leaves a chit eating grin on your face.

Good luck with whatever you choose, Im sure your headed in the right direction for a sweet set up

Burns
08-16-2011, 02:52 PM
I bought the Okuma V-20a reel, it had oustanding reviews all over the internet, really good performance for the price apparently.

I am basically set on getting a G Loomis and I believe the SJR722 GLX is the one for me. I don't know what kind of line I will spool it with yet but why cheap out, might as well go for the good stuff. The hardest part will be waiting for it to arrive in the mail as I bought everything online.

Here's hoping I can get a few fish with it now!

chubbdarter
08-16-2011, 05:28 PM
I look forward to the Okuma report after youve put it thru the paces.

On a funny note about reels...was up at Cross Iron and we decided to walk thru BPS and look at the aquariums. First the fish look hideous and on death row.
Second i walked up to the reel counter at the Quantum section and asked if the new Smoke reel was in.
The staff member said....i dont smoke and you cant smoke in the building......I was speachless, i just walked away.

NSRfishing
08-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Second i walked up to the reel counter at the Quantum section and asked if the new Smoke reel was in.
The staff member said....i dont smoke and you cant smoke in the building......I was speachless, i just walked away.

wow that is funny time for some new staff

Teamprotz
08-16-2011, 06:06 PM
TOO FUNNY ! The ceramics fall out of expensive rod guides just as easy as cheaper ones. Have an IMX that needs some crazy glue. I bought a couple of Okuma Vsystem spin reels , a 15 and a 20. Also got a pair of casting reels. Quite nice. Good price on Ebay. Bought 3 of their Carbon concept C3 rods and they are very nice. All on Ebay and all cheap :sHa_shakeshout: ! Haven't used the spinning reels much , but used the casting reels for lakers all winter with no problems. Also looking at the Smoke in a 5:1 for lakers. $150 will get one on Ebay , I'm looking to payless.

BCSteel
08-17-2011, 02:37 AM
Take this for what you paid for it but unless you can actually notice the differences between a 400 dollar rod and a 150 dollar rod, you're probably better off wither the cheaper one. I've fished multiple rods from gloomis, lamiglas, sage, st.croix, shimano and several custom ties on various blanks.

Now for the important stuff, is there a difference? Yes, various rods will fish different from others but it also varies greatly between the individual companies depending upon the model selected. If you've done a lot of fishing and can tell the subtle differences between the the different comparable models between companies, then you would already know this. Same thing goes for reels, subtle differences that the casual fisherman will never pick up on.

Most people will only ever "perceive" a rods superiority because they know what they paid for it, not because it actually is a superior rod. Now to put it in perspective, I bought, and shed for several salmon/steelhead seasons, the roddy lights reel, that's the cheap gimmick reel with LEDs that light up when you turn the handle. I have landed over 50 steelhead, and literally hundreds of salmon with it and it still keeps on bringing them in.

If you want to see it I can send you a link to my YouTube page to see some view of it happening. Point is, the differences in equipment between mid and high end are lost on the vast majority of casual anglers and imo, that same money that is saved would be better spent on time with a guide actually increasing their level of angling competence instead of just trying to look the part.

0liver
08-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Take this for what you paid for it but unless you can actually notice the differences between a 400 dollar rod and a 150 dollar rod, you're probably better off wither the cheaper one. I've fished multiple rods from gloomis, lamiglas, sage, st.croix, shimano and several custom ties on various blanks.

Now for the important stuff, is there a difference? Yes, various rods will fish different from others but it also varies greatly between the individual companies depending upon the model selected. If you've done a lot of fishing and can tell the subtle differences between the the different comparable models between companies, then you would already know this. Same thing goes for reels, subtle differences that the casual fisherman will never pick up on.

Most people will only ever "perceive" a rods superiority because they know what they paid for it, not because it actually is a superior rod. Now to put it in perspective, I bought, and shed for several salmon/steelhead seasons, the roddy lights reel, that's the cheap gimmick reel with LEDs that light up when you turn the handle. I have landed over 50 steelhead, and literally hundreds of salmon with it and it still keeps on bringing them in.

If you want to see it I can send you a link to my YouTube page to see some view of it happening. Point is, the differences in equipment between mid and high end are lost on the vast majority of casual anglers and imo, that same money that is saved would be better spent on time with a guide actually increasing their level of angling competence instead of just trying to look the part.

x2 well said. My mitchell p.o.s still gets the job done and is my go to nsr reel. and hey, if i end up loosing it/it breaking I won't feel half as bad as if I had the latest 500 dollar super reel and ended up hooking a log drifting downstream and cooking it or worse dropping it in the sandymudmuck along the bank...

Mike_W
08-17-2011, 01:04 PM
I upgraded to Islanders and a really nice fenwick mooching rods and Ill tell you when you hook into a tyee there is nothing better to experience that fight with.

Super smooth reel with a fantastic drag system and a great rod.

There is lots of really nice mid grade stuff but cheaping out is no way to go!!

BGSH
08-17-2011, 01:25 PM
A nice Islander IR3 is only 360$, wow, i might buy that fly reel tomorrow, it looks awsome, love the gold look, fit for a king, between Sage and Islander hmm

Albertafisher
08-17-2011, 07:49 PM
the perfect setup for the species of alberta for me would be:
shimano stratic CI4. in black and red(STCI2500F)($220)
St.Croix legend elite 7ft 2 pc Meduim-light action Fast($340)
With 10-20lb red power pro OR Sufix 832

I agree with this, but downsize the setup. For Alberta you don't need anything that huge. There are big fish, but 50lbs is too much.

Teamprotz
08-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Islander ir3fly reel , $270 on Ebay.

Burns
08-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Islander ir3fly reel , $270 on Ebay.

I bought my entire set up off of ebay. Probably saved a couple hundred. You can even find cheap lures too!

CanadianEh
08-17-2011, 10:58 PM
There is no question that Quality if better then cheap.. to a point.

It is a case of diminishing returns. Alot of the " highest end" stuff is just considered the highest end becasuse of slick marketing. No question it usually is good quality.. but it is rarely better then the mid range good quailty stuff.

Every manufacturer will charge the absolute MOST that people are willing to pay for somthing. Should any fishing rod on earth cost $600? no a chance in hell.. but people will pay for it thinking they are getting the best of the best.

Best thing to do is to get somthing that works for you, feels good, and you are confident with.