PDA

View Full Version : Hook Any Severed Appendages Lately?

Nester
08-15-2011, 10:49 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2011-08/63917885.jpg

Imagine you're spending a relaxing day on the lake. Everything is going well until your lure hangs up. But lucky you...the snag pulls free. What you see on the end of your line is not a branch or clump of weeds, but a severed human foot. Then the foot comes unhooked and sinks back down to the bottom. So what happens next? If you're the young kid this actually happened to on Wednesday, you get thrown into the middle of an all-hell-breaks-loose situation.

By Megan Craig, Tribune reporter

August 12, 2011
A boy fishing in Antioch's Lake Marie got a Halloween-worthy fright Wednesday when he caught what appeared to be a human foot.

Eight hours and an extensive search of the lake later, the big one that got away turned out to be a Halloween prop that only looked like a severed foot.

The fake foot was found about 5:30 p.m. after the Lake County Sheriff's Marine Unit and the Antioch Fire Department Dive Team used sonar equipment to search the murky waters, Lake County Sheriff's Lt. Christopher Thompson said.

Authorities believe the child and the two adults he was with genuinely believed they might have hooked a real human body part. The child told officials the foot fell off his line before he was able to reel it in.

Taxpayers won't be footing an extra bill for the search. Thompson said any cost to taxpayers was nominal because the dive units involved were already on duty and no extra manpower had to be called in.

"Needless to say, everyone involved is relieved that the foot turned out to be a fake one," Thompson said.

And everyone involved has a great fish tale to tell.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-talk-severed-foot-0812-20110812,0,3391635.story

bigbuck19
08-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Oh wow. I can't imagine the feeling, especially when the thing got unhooked :scared:

tommyguitar
08-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Great Article!! Thanks for posting.

Dust1n
08-15-2011, 11:27 PM
some scary S*it right there

alacringa
08-16-2011, 12:26 AM
I haven't; but have always held a fear, in the back of my mind, that with the amount of time I spend back in the bush, I will someday happen upon a body...or a part of one.

FishlessFool
08-16-2011, 06:54 AM
No chumming the water. Read your regs guys

buckbrushoutdoors
08-16-2011, 12:36 PM
We found a females head on the river this spring closer ad uncomfortable inspection revealed it was a manicans head for a hair dressing school. Stuck it on the front of the boat and when we pulled up at te boat launch there was some tourists taking pictures..... Pretty sure we scared the shet out of them!

Geezle
08-16-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm just waiting til I pull a body part out of the NSR :scared:

alacringa
08-16-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm just waiting til I pull a body part out of the NSR :scared:

What did you think the Sturgeon are eating, Geezle? :D

Geezle
08-16-2011, 05:05 PM
What did you think the Sturgeon are eating, Geezle? :D

After the one with the black spots, I'm not too sure anymore :sick: