PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers?

Geezle
08-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Yesterday I received a bit of a care package, and in said package there were a couple of dodgers.

Now being the boatless wonder that I am, I've never used dodgers before, so I'm a little bit stuck on exactly when/where/why I would use them.

From what I understand they pretty much just impart extra action to a given lure?

ice
08-16-2011, 12:30 PM
First of all,
WTF is a dodger. >.>
Was There Lures or at the least bit line, In this care package,
And if Not,
WHY IS THERE DODGERS IN THERE!
Edit - To Me a Care package, Is a Survival Kit,

ice

Mike_W
08-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Depends on the dodger!

Flashers (very similar to a dodger) are designed to give a big looping spin that flashes and imparts an action to your bait leadered 3-8 feet back.

Dodgers don't do the big looping spin they do a tamer wobble side to side again leadered 2-6 feet back these will impart an action to the bait also however much less aggresive than a flasher.

Dodgers are fished slower than flashers....don't go too fast with a dodger or it will spin and thats not how they are designed.

Both are designed to add action and flash to attract fish and trigger a strike.
These are only used to troll and usually used behind a downrigger.

Dust1n
08-16-2011, 12:35 PM
try flossing with it>? not too sure though

tacklerunner
08-16-2011, 12:41 PM
When trolling Dodgers give your lure (or bait) more darting action.
Flashers or paddles give your lure a rolling action.
Usually you will fish your lure 28" - 60" behind a dodger. The shorter your leader, the greater the action on your lure.
Generally used for salmon and large trout. Rainbows and cohos like a faster action while bulls and lakers like a wider, slower swing.

But mostly, they are used as an attractor when fishing deeper. Fish can see the dodger much further away than your lure itself and come to investigate sometimes thinking it another fish and are often enticed into striking your lure before the 'competition' grabs it.

There are new ones on the market that are adjustable as well. They have fin dials so you can find the perfect action for the species you are targeting without continually messing around with your speed. They also have eyes and look like a fish and some of them glo for better visibility in deeper dark water.

They are very effective when searching at different depths in large bodies of water for fish especially when it seems the bite is off.

Geezle
08-16-2011, 12:43 PM
I got one of these: http://www.legendaryproduct.com/webstore/roll-troll?p=2

And one of these: http://www.legendaryproduct.com/products/the-smart-fish

If that clears anything up? :confused:

edit: tacklerunner - thanks for the explanation...these are the adjustable ones ;)

edit again: so it sounds like going for lakers is where I would mainly use these?

Rick.
08-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Both are used while trolling. Maybe your next care package will include a boat!
Rick.

Geezle
08-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Both are used while trolling. Maybe your next care package will include a boat!
Rick.

Ha! I don't think anybody cares about me THAT much! :lol:

I do now have a 12' aluminum and with a trolling motor, which is okay for some situations, but fortunately I've also got some good buddies with boats, so I'm able to get out on to bigger water from time to time :)

Teamprotz
08-16-2011, 06:11 PM
Throw a treble on the back and head to WAB !!