PDA

View Full Version : The Bow - August 16th - Damn you Chernobyl Ants!

Unknown303
08-16-2011, 02:02 PM
What is up with Chernobyl ants. I want to catch something with a normal looking fly but they just love these things for some reason... I haven't had a hit on a nymph in the Bow yet but they will just murder this ant I'm using as an indicator.

And wow do I need a bigger net... had to get him out of the net so I could remove the fly.
http://stalemarshmallows.com/Gallery/fish/img_7586.png

Scott N
08-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Hopper season on the Bow! And yes, you do need a bigger net. :)

tacklerunner
08-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Hopper season on the Bow! And yes, you do need a bigger net. :)

x 2. Stoneflies and salmon flies too. Fish are looking up right now.

Dust1n
08-16-2011, 02:38 PM
awsome fish unknown!!!

Unknown303
08-16-2011, 02:41 PM
He was a chubby one that's for sure. Lost another one today as well, Having a hard time setting my flies when they strike, can have them one for a good 30 seconds and then one good jump and they "F" off on me... :angry3:

Pudelpointer
08-16-2011, 02:42 PM
.. I haven't had a hit on a nymph in the Bow yet but they will just murder this ant I'm using as an indicator.

My guess is your nymph is nowhere near the bottom (where it needs to be 99% of the time if you want to catch fish with it). I assume you are using a small nymph 8"-14" below the ant? If so, you may be better off with a small CDC emerger or soft hackle or something (just watch for the rise "near" your ant).

FWIW, not sure if I would be complaining with fish like that in the net....

Fly_Fish
08-16-2011, 02:51 PM
nice fish! what section of the bow do you fish?

Scott N
08-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Having a hard time setting my flies when they strike, can have them one for a good 30 seconds and then one good jump and they "F" off on me... :angry3:

Ah, a good ol' Ralphie! One of Klein's dumber moves, making barbless hooks mandatory.

Unknown303
08-16-2011, 03:43 PM
nice fish! what section of the bow do you fish?

I'm on foot so I park down at the Bridges on the South side of Calgary and just walk the shores. North and South sides of the shore seem to work well.

FWIW, not sure if I would be complaining with fish like that in the net....

So very true, I'm just new at Fly Fishing so I'm trying to improve my technique with both types of flies.

Daceminnow
08-16-2011, 08:24 PM
damn ants? you wanna catch a fish on a nymph? really? your heart doesn't miss a beat when a trout viciously inhales a piece of foam off the surface? that's different. nice brown, he looks like he could use a few more bugs in his belly though.

Dace

alacringa
08-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Ah, a good ol' Ralphie! One of Klein's dumber moves, making barbless hooks mandatory.

Actually, I really like the barbless regulation...I lose a few fish because of it, but it makes removing the hooks from the fish (or my thumb) much easier.

BTW, that's a sweet Brown, U303.

Unknown303
08-16-2011, 08:50 PM
damn ants? you wanna catch a fish on a nymph? really? your heart doesn't miss a beat when a trout viciously inhales a piece of foam off the surface? that's different. nice brown, he looks like he could use a few more bugs in his belly though.

Dace

A little torn on that actually. I've been using a lot of dry flies because of how damn cool it looks when they crash the surface for it. Maybe I'll just stick to my mutant ants and keep reelin' in these bad boys.

Doc
08-16-2011, 09:57 PM
What is up with Chernobyl ants. I want to catch something with a normal looking fly but they just love these things for some reason... I haven't had a hit on a nymph in the Bow yet but they will just murder this ant I'm using as an indicator.

I hear ya! I just hate watching the take of big browns on easy to see top water patterns. :1041:

chubbdarter
08-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Its very important you become a skilled bobber fisherman on the Bow to consistantly catch big fish all year...chuck and duck pops more big fish.
But right now just enjoy the surface fishing

Unknown303
08-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Its very important you become a skilled bobber fisherman on the Bow to consistantly catch big fish all year...chuck and duck pops more big fish.
But right now just enjoy the surface fishing

By bobbing we are talking about nymphing?? I'm new to the fishing lingo.

chubbdarter
08-16-2011, 10:37 PM
By bobbing we are talking about nymphing?? I'm new to the fishing lingo.

Sorry....yup....your average strike indicator isnt big enough for multi flys and numerous splitshot to effectively fish deep runs on the Bow.
Ruffles the feathers of purists but its the truth

ArtVandelay
08-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Try nymphing without an indicator sometime. In my opinion, it's more effective than bobber fishing. Add as much split shot as it takes so you're ticking the bottom. I've had great success with this rig over the past 4 years on the Bow. While I don't have stats to prove it, I swear my catch rate is much higher going indicator-less.