PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Grasshoppers??

GummyMonster
08-16-2011, 08:05 PM
Evening,
Lot's of BIG grasshoppers around our area. Wondering if anyone catches them and freezes em for ice fishing bait. I am going to try it myself, but felt like chatting. Any thoughts??
Thank's
Ken

NSRfishing
08-16-2011, 08:16 PM
can you use grasshopper for bait? do they work?

tons around here i might have to catch some

Fly_Fish
08-16-2011, 08:29 PM
not really a natural bait for the season but ya never know.

GummyMonster
08-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Definitely not season appropriate, but I have caught trout using a weight to sink foam grasshoppers, so I figure the scent, taste of real ones might do even better . Guess we will see.
Ken

RavYak
08-16-2011, 09:10 PM
I used to fish down in Kentucky with crickets for bait, bluegill(somewhat similar to perch) loved them. I think I tried a grasshopper once, can't really remember that well but thinking they might have been hard to keep on the hook.

0liver
08-17-2011, 07:03 PM
nothing beats a live grasshopper kicking around on the end of your line....caught some impressive NSR pike using grasshoppers on a p-rig...goldeye and walleye too.

NSRfishing
08-17-2011, 07:13 PM
nothing beats a live grasshopper kicking around on the end of your line....caught some impressive NSR pike using grasshoppers on a p-rig...goldeye and walleye too.

might have to start catching them the path i use to get to the river is 3 km long and last couple weeks just loaded with grasshopper

Eddy62
08-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Evening,
Lot's of BIG grasshoppers around our area. Wondering if anyone catches them and freezes em for ice fishing bait. I am going to try it myself, but felt like chatting. Any thoughts??
Thank's
Ken

i have used them in the river in bc near hedley with a bobber and 6 feet of line they were dynamite,,frozen good question

trapshooter
08-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Killer for goldeye in RDR

Redfrog
08-17-2011, 10:18 PM
I've used them in soft and hard water. The worked better in soft water, but I caught lots of trout with them through the ice as well. I put them in a jar and in the freezer.