PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchair accessible spots?

Sleehw
08-17-2011, 04:23 AM
Hello everyone.

I only recently started fishing around the edmonton area on my own. I am a power wheelchair use so shore fishing or dock fishing is best. I have been to hermitege pond, got nothing there, haven't been to beaumont or leduc for a while but had luck at both years ago.

Can anyone recommend wheelchair 'friendly' spots within 50km or so of North East Edmonton?

All species are fun, but havent got to fight with a pike for ages!

Thanks in advance!

ALBTUFF
08-17-2011, 06:32 AM
Cardiff has a big dock with the parking lot right close to it. Also I do believe Wabaman has a dock right at the boat launch, there is some big pike in there. Hope this helps.

ALBTUFF

Garry B
08-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Hi,

I also use a wheelchair and have done a lot of exploring around Edmonton in the past few years.

Here's the lakes I have experience with.

Hasse
Was the best for wheelchair access because it has a great dock but it has severely winter killed and there seems to be no fish at all in the lake. Also there is a large hole at the start of the dock where it meets the shore. The soil there is gone. One person in a power chair could not get over it. It needs to be filled in first.

Morinville Reservoir
Second best. Very good. Can drive all around the lake right to where you want to fish. Can drive a chair pretty close to the edge in spots. But with all the rain this year the road around it has been badly ripped up making access very difficult the one time I tried this year.

Cardiff Pond
Banks are incredibly steep prohibiting access to the water's edge in a wheelchair. A power chair could not make it down to the floating dock for the same reason and the dock is also very sloped sideways at the first section. You would need help and even then it would be dangerous. My bro took me down to the dock in a manual chair and it was a frightening experience going back up :free-scared-smileys. Two guys would handle a manual chair much more easily.

Morniville Fish and Game Pond
Very good except the dock also has a large amount of missing pavement between it and the path making the same type of hole as at Hasse.

Summerside Lake in Edmonton
Totally perfect for access in a wheelchair except the lake is a community lake. Still if you know someone who lives there you might be able to ask them to take you in as a guest so look through your contact book. Or if you are rich maybe you could move in there and be able to go whenever you wish! Ha!!! If I had a bunch of extra nickels that's what I would do.

I'm also keeping my eye out for places that are wheelchair friendly. Good luck in your search. If Hasse gets stocked again it will be good for you (provided that gap at the dock gets filled in).

Best regards,

Garry

Itsmyfishingshow
08-17-2011, 06:20 PM
echo glen park in gibbons has a dock but you have to cast a bit to before the aerators and the fish are really small but the acess is really easy and the park is nice

BGSH
08-17-2011, 07:13 PM
you can also fish the n.s.r at hermitage river

FishingFrenzy
08-17-2011, 07:22 PM
you can also fish the n.s.r at hermitage river

Where's hermitige river? sounds like it might hold some big SUCKERS.

Sorry, couldn't resist. For clarification he means the North Saskatchewan River at Hermitage Park.

Paul C
08-17-2011, 07:28 PM
I was just wondering how a person in a wheel chair could go down one of the two paths near the outlet of the storm drain? Those paths are narrow, rough and are quite steep.
Last year I did see a dock at the trout pond located at the south end of the pond and they have a wide gravel path for access for people in wheel chairs that includes handicap parking as well.

Dust1n
08-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Marina Bay in sylvan lake.