PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my motor

Jacek
08-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Hello everyone, hoping to get some hints as to what is wrong with more motor or hopfully better yet what am I doing wrong as I just purchased this boat.

I pump my gas manually 4 pumps, give it 2 chokes with throttle, put the throttle in the proper position, and the motor would start for a few secs than die.

I am hoping its simple like there might be a valve I need to open up in my gas tank to let gas flow easy to the motor. I did find one after I brought the boat ashore and hope that was my problem. Hoping for a confirmation before I try agian. I am a complete noob to boats and any help would be much appreciated.

The motor is a 90hp johnson think the year is 94.

Thanks in advance....

My kids were alittle bummed out hoping to get this fixxed soon.

lilsundance
08-17-2011, 10:45 PM
try pumping the bulb til it gets hard. That tell's you the carb is full. Make sure the choke is engaged and the vent cap on the tank is open. Then start it, as it warms up, slowly take the choke off.

Tezma
08-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Replace the throttle body gasket.

Take the plastic cover off, and there should be a half moon gasket made out of rubber.

My 9.9 HP johnson had the same problem. it would idle with choke. once you take away choke. then bluuuh.

replace that and your golden

Tezma
08-17-2011, 10:48 PM
get a garbage can fill it with water. or one of those suction cup thing that you can attach a water hose and start it. that way you dont have to take it to the water.

Jacek
08-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Wow some fast replies, thanks alot I ll try and check all that tomorow. I hope its just that simple and everything goes.

Thanks alot folks :) .

Tezma
08-17-2011, 11:48 PM
Wow some fast replies, thanks alot I ll try and check all that tomorow. I hope its just that simple and everything goes.

Thanks alot folks :) .

No problem and welcome to the Forums

Rick.
08-18-2011, 08:25 AM
Your motor doesn't really have a choke. It's called a primer which injects fuel straight into the carbs. or manifold. So here is the start procedure I think you should follow. Pump the bulb until it holds firm and won't pass any more fuel. Set you shifter in neutral and your throttle to about one third. Turn the key to on (not start). Push the key in for a five count (this activates the primer solenoid, in a quiet setting you will here the solenoid click on). Turn the key to start position and reduce the throttle as soon as it fires. It is often necessary during warm up to give it an extra shot or two by pushing in your key momentarily if it starts to die. Once the motor is up to temp. you won't need to prime it again for the rest of the day. Hope this helps the kids. If you continue to have problems try posting on the Johnson/Evinrude forum at Iboats.com You will get help. Rick.

fitzy
08-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Your motor doesn't really have a choke. It's called a primer which injects fuel straight into the carbs. or manifold. So here is the start procedure I think you should follow. Pump the bulb until it holds firm and won't pass any more fuel. Set you shifter in neutral and your throttle to about one third. Turn the key to on (not start). Push the key in for a five count (this activates the primer solenoid, in a quiet setting you will here the solenoid click on). Turn the key to start position and reduce the throttle as soon as it fires. It is often necessary during warm up to give it an extra shot or two by pushing in your key momentarily if it starts to die. Once the motor is up to temp. you won't need to prime it again for the rest of the day. Hope this helps the kids. If you continue to have problems try posting on the Johnson/Evinrude forum at Iboats.com You will get help. Rick.

X2, also really double check the vent on your fuel tank, it took a couple hours of fooling around on the lake before I found out my fuel tank wasn't venting properly