PDA

View Full Version : Fishing for Pike and Trout

Calgarys_finest
08-18-2011, 07:59 AM
When fishing for Trout and Pike at the same time(will be at glenmore res) do you guys use a leader so the pike dont bite through the line? If i do will it scare the trout away?

Braun
08-18-2011, 08:33 AM
I find trout are one of the few fish who get skidish with the visibility of the line. I would not use a steel leader. What do you have spooled on your main line? decent quality braid can and often will stand up to pike teeth (obviously the heavier the pike the more likely to get snapped off, but i think you will be fine at glenmore). also you have to inspect your line after you catch a pike. if any bits above the lure are frayed then just retie about the damage.

Calgarys_finest
08-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Neat i have wanted to go braid route for a while but i cant see myself spending that much money on line with the amount i get out. If i actually caught fish my wife might see it as an "investment" instead of a waste of time:thinking-006: I will try without the leader and see what happens if i get snapped i will switch. Going to north shore Glenmore on Friday after work if anyone sees a guy in work boots and black pants yell out "Cody" see if i respond.

tacklerunner
08-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Depending on what you are throwing at them, a 20 lb fluorocarbon leader should do the trick. Always a risk that a pike could cut it. Trial and error maybe. If you can get trout on a thin wire leader then problem solved. If not, then you have to adjust your tactics.

Braun
08-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Neat i have wanted to go braid route for a while but i cant see myself spending that much money on line with the amount i get out. If i actually caught fish my wife might see it as an "investment" instead of a waste of time:thinking-006: I will try without the leader and see what happens if i get snapped i will switch. Going to north shore Glenmore on Friday after work if anyone sees a guy in work boots and black pants yell out "Cody" see if i respond.

weird. thats my name..........

anyways braid definitely is a good investment. It is an excellent all purpose line. It is much much much thinner so eliminates visibility issues...12lb braid is equivalent to 3 or 4 lb mono I think it is? Try cutting some with a pair of scissors and think about a fish trying to chew through it. alot tougher because it seems to fray rather than cut. because its light, it tends to cast farther. Virtually no stretch so if your fishing walleye or small fish that "light bite" you get a better feel. Also because it doesnt really stretch, it doesnt "jump" off your spool like some monos.

Braid can be more finnicky though. It needs to be spooled on properly. I would ask for it to be spooled on by the store. they should put it on nice and tight for you. If it is not on tight, it can dig into your spool when snagged or fighting a fish. and if it does that you will have knot issues. After you cast and start reeling in, Make sure the line is tight before you start reeling. If your reeling in lots of loose slack it can form loops at the top of your spool and then your next cast as the line comes off, it will keep pulling the loop out from under your line and knot up. and dont leave your bail open in the wind. lol.

Another thing to consider when choosing a braid...... I use my summer reels for some of my ice rods. Some braids hold water, some dont. If you plan on ice fishing at all and using your summer reels on an ice rod. Make sure to get a braid that is good at resisting water..... spiderwire is typically the best IMO. Although i have been running suffix 836 this summer and i am not sure how it is in the winter. but if you have a line that doesn't repel water, like i did last year on some reels (tuffline) your line would freeze to your spool and your line would also freeze in mid air. Not fun.

Toirtis
08-18-2011, 02:11 PM
If you are concerned about the leader having too high a profile, check out some of the new black tungsten and titanium leaders....hair thin with really high strength, and nearly invisible in water. And as Braun suggested, some of these new tech super-strength lines are also both thin, super-strong, and very low-vis.

horsetrader
08-18-2011, 08:19 PM
weird. thats my name..........

anyways braid definitely is a good investment. It is an excellent all purpose line. It is much much much thinner so eliminates visibility issues...12lb braid is equivalent to 3 or 4 lb mono I think it is? Try cutting some with a pair of scissors and think about a fish trying to chew through it. alot tougher because it seems to fray rather than cut. because its light, it tends to cast farther. Virtually no stretch so if your fishing walleye or small fish that "light bite" you get a better feel. Also because it doesnt really stretch, it doesnt "jump" off your spool like some monos.

Braid can be more finnicky though. It needs to be spooled on properly. I would ask for it to be spooled on by the store. they should put it on nice and tight for you. If it is not on tight, it can dig into your spool when snagged or fighting a fish. and if it does that you will have knot issues. After you cast and start reeling in, Make sure the line is tight before you start reeling. If your reeling in lots of loose slack it can form loops at the top of your spool and then your next cast as the line comes off, it will keep pulling the loop out from under your line and knot up. and dont leave your bail open in the wind. lol.

Another thing to consider when choosing a braid...... I use my summer reels for some of my ice rods. Some braids hold water, some dont. If you plan on ice fishing at all and using your summer reels on an ice rod. Make sure to get a braid that is good at resisting water..... spiderwire is typically the best IMO. Although i have been running suffix 836 this summer and i am not sure how it is in the winter. but if you have a line that doesn't repel water, like i did last year on some reels (tuffline) your line would freeze to your spool and your line would also freeze in mid air. Not fun.

I've been looking for a good braid have tried a few not happy with some have not been able to find Suffix 836 where did you get it want to give it a try.

Albertafisher
08-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Flourocarbon leader. That is all.

Willowtrail
08-18-2011, 08:47 PM
I've been looking for a good braid have tried a few not happy with some have not been able to find Suffix 836 where did you get it want to give it a try.

Jerk :sSc_hiding:

horsetrader
08-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Jerk :sSc_hiding:

That's Mr Jerk ...................:bad_boys_20:

Willowtrail
08-18-2011, 10:29 PM
That's Mr Jerk ...................:bad_boys_20:

sorry dad:fighting0030:

outdoors forever
08-18-2011, 11:12 PM
At first when I saw that braided line was $28.00 for 110 yds I was
like :confused0068:

But then I broke down and bought some, and I will honestly say I won't use anything else. Its smooth, its tough, ties very well, good for all types of ( Northern ) fishing, and very reliable.

Now when I am fishing, I am like :medium-smiley-035:

I think the price is worth the peace of mind - I haven't broken a line it two years.

Geezle
08-19-2011, 08:00 AM
Flourocarbon leader. That is all.

X2

And there's something to be said for braid as well.

chubbdarter
08-19-2011, 08:16 AM
I agree with Toirtis....the titanium leaders are incredible..super thin and more supple than any flourocarbon in equivilant size....and not by just a little bit.

With cranks being 15+ bucks now, we run alot of the titanium leaders when we fish walleye cranks off the boards. The flouro maybe invisible but even 15lbflouro kills a cranks action. I hate pike!!

Im actually starting to doubt the effectivness of flouro in a trolling situation, especially with all the junk we throw at walleyes.

I believe flouro has benifits in certain trout fishing and ice fishing for walleyes, especially if the fish can really examine a standing bait.

The one down side is if a fish starts to roll in a long titanium leader it does scar the fish