PDA

View Full Version : Help on the SSR forks

DanaS
08-18-2011, 11:28 AM
A buddy and I are headed down to the SSR forks for a couple of nights camping next week. We decided to go during the week as to minimize disruption to the regulars. I have read the threads here and did have some questions. Is there anyone willing to PM me. I was looking for some info on technique, specific spots, recommendations, etc. I recognize there is some sensitivity on this forum on details, so a PM would probably be best.
Please and many thanks to all.

Dale S
08-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Welcome to the forum. There are not many options at the forks.Most of the camping is done on the island. With only 1 road on the island it's easy to find. There is a stretch about 200 yards long(where you camp) that is good for fishing.It gets really busy there on the weekends.You should get a good spot during the week.You can get around in front of the island in a small outboard. That gives you a few more spots to fish.But you have to stay in front of the island it gets shallow in all three directions.Keep it simple use bait with your favorite way to present it and keep it on the bottom.

DanaS
08-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Many Thanks Dago. We are just shore fishing. No boat. I have a 4x4 and will be driving onto the island. Looking at a map, is that Bow Island or is it the small island North of that?

Dale S
08-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Its the big island in the middle of the three. This time of year the water is'nt going across the chanel makes for easy access.The other 2 are not accessable with a truck.

WayneChristie
08-22-2011, 07:42 AM
still a foot of water or so in the cross channel, but the channel to the campground on the south shore is dry. fishing has slowed a lot and the river is getting pretty low too, nice for camping anyways down there