PDA

View Full Version : Given the choice

s_erickson
08-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Thinking about my next fishing trip and am trying to decide on where to go. Right now i'm stuck between four places, Peru, Argentina, Brazil, or Chile? Going to be taking the wife so it won't be all fishing, but i want somewhere i can whip out a fly and catch something crazy. Let me know if you have been to any of these places so i know what to expect from each.

Dust1n
08-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Thinking about my next fishing trip and am trying to decide on where to go. Right now i'm stuck between four places, Peru, Argentina, Brazil, or Chile? Going to be taking the wife so it won't be all fishing, but i want somewhere i can whip out a fly and catch something crazy. Let me know if you have been to any of these places so i know what to expect from each.

where mongolia? that place has huge brown trout.

Hellraiser
08-18-2011, 12:15 PM
LOL, screw the brown trout in Mongolia...if I was going there I'd be fishing for Taimen...the world's largest trout species!

s_erickson
08-18-2011, 12:17 PM
mongolia would be great, but 5000 plus flights each is alot, especially since my wife wont be doing the fishing and without a guide you cant just go and catch taimen and such. I got it narrowed down to those four because it would allow me to fish, and her to view scenery and explore, gotta keep the wife happy.

huntin'fool
08-18-2011, 01:35 PM
ummm, hello!!!! Argentina!!! ever heard of Jurassic lake? look it up. one of the neatest experiences. take in as much of the culture and fishing you can and you'll most certainly leave 100% satisfied.

Read this review. Fellow fly angler from the PNW. I'm willing to bet he will sway your decision.....

http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=641015#Post641015

Gary K
08-18-2011, 01:44 PM
My sister jsut got back from brazil, she was down there for jsut over a month I beleive.
She didnt go to fish but mostly to travel and was in an originized tour. Two of the girls out of the 15 people in the tour got held at knife point and robbed of everything, clothes off there backs. She said all in all brazil was beautiful, but the police were so curropt she didnt feel safe.
She witnessed a car acciedent and pulled a lady out of a pickup, covered in blood. Bandaged her up the best she could with clothes she tore and waited with the women until paramedics arrived. The Paramedics arrived and told her to scram, They told her the police would be there shorty and more often than not blame thigns on tourists and end up asking for large sums of money and arresting you.
Brazil also is a tough country to travel too, You cant jsut go in there wit ha passport. You need to mail away your passport (yes your actual passport, not a copy) and get an approved for a visa. Which took here 3 weeks.

She was also in argentina during the trip and felt alot safer as the police are not near as curropt (this is not me saying this, i have no idea). But she said nothing of fishing in agentinia.
Anyhow, She was on the amazon for 4 nights living off of a boat. She doesnt fish usually but had a great time. She said she couldnt keep a variety of fish off her hook. But catching something of size was the tricky part. Small piranha would constintly steal bait or take it.
There was a 200 pound catfish ( i think red striped) landed.

theres a bit of information for yah, might sway your opinion.