PDA

View Full Version : Bone Fishing

dennisb
01-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Anybody done any bone fishing before???I'm headed to Grand Cayman at the end of the month. Just wondering if my 6WT rod will cut the mustard or not.
Any suggestions on flies???

wake
01-11-2008, 11:54 AM
The 6wt should cover most of it, for flies shrimp patterns seem to be the fav,get them in soft pink,white,silver etc...

Also watch for permit, and big mutton snappers there likely to be around also.

Have fun, and dont limit yourself to just bones.There are some mighty tasty critters down there...

dennisb
01-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Thanks Wake, the kids & I fish every night for a few hours off the docks and have alot of fun. The beach we frequent alot is pure sand and very shallow for miles ( looks like the Corona commercial) and I'm pretty sure its bone fish I see there all the time, so I'd thought I'd give it a try.

Chet
01-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Your 6 wt should be good. I usually use a 7 or 8 wt if its windy. Make sure everything is saltwater compatible and clean your gear well after fishing. You will see your backing a lot because they can really run. I like a bonefish slider or crazy charlie pattern. Have fun and post some pics!

Chet

Chet
01-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Here's a nice Bone I caught in Cuba.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/OutdoorChet/Cuba06ChadBone-6.jpg

dennisb
01-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Very Cool Chet. I never thought about the salt water vs equipment thing.I will have to rinse off my equipment after each outing.