PDA

View Full Version : Nordegg to Rocky on the NSR

dwo
08-18-2011, 04:08 PM
This weekend we are taking a drift boat on the NSR from Nordegg to RMH. I have never fished the NSR and would appreciate any info anyone can provide regarding fly fishing or using tackle to make it a successful trip (it will be memorable fish or no fish).
Thank you in advance!

greylynx
08-18-2011, 04:14 PM
Try Devil's Elbow.

FishingFrenzy
08-18-2011, 04:29 PM
I googled Devils Elbow..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYCfyWsonro

Assuming Greylynx meant its between nordegg and rocky (I don't know myself), you may want to reconsider doing it in a drift boat... looks a little sketchy.

scesfiremedic
08-18-2011, 09:33 PM
I have paddled that stretch many times in a canoe (with cover). Lots of rapids (The Ledge, Devils Elbow, No Name Rapids, Stony Rapids, Ferrier Rapids, Brierly Rapids). Fishing has always been very good with #1 Silver Mepps, never tried fly fishing. Wear your life jackets and watch the river for "brown pillows" (ie. rocks)

Dust1n
08-18-2011, 09:34 PM
whats are the species there?

greylynx
08-18-2011, 09:47 PM
I have paddled that stretch many times in a canoe (with cover). Lots of rapids (The Ledge, Devils Elbow, No Name Rapids, Stony Rapids, Ferrier Rapids, Brierly Rapids). Fishing has always been very good with #1 Silver Mepps, never tried fly fishing. Wear your life jackets and watch the river for "brown pillows" (ie. rocks)

I would go with caddis bead heads right now. The stone flys have hatched already.

Brierly Rapids are not very good for fishing. Too many people playing in there.

Stony Rapids and Ferrier Rapids have big honkin swirling pools at the end of them. Six weight rod at least. Type 7 full sinking line, Presentation is best using the Brooks nymphing method.