PDA

View Full Version : What size/type of anchor?

Geezle
08-18-2011, 10:21 PM
I scooped up a 12' aluminum boat from mooseknuckle, but I need an anchor for it. I obviously won't be out in any crazy weather with it, but I am planning on using it for some little trips on the NSR, so I need something that'll hold me in the current.

Albertafisher
08-18-2011, 10:28 PM
I scooped up a 12' aluminum boat from mooseknuckle, but I need an anchor for it. I obviously won't be out in any crazy weather with it, but I am planning on using it for some little trips on the NSR, so I need something that'll hold me in the current.

I think a 10lb digging anchor would be permissible for that situation.

buckmasterjr
08-18-2011, 10:35 PM

Is there an outboard jet drive on it or just prop?

edit: or just trolling motor?

SonnyJ
08-18-2011, 10:35 PM
I had a 10 pounder on mine and a few times when the wind would pick up we would actually drag it around.
Now we've got a 15 pounder and it works a lot better..

Geezle
08-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Is there an outboard jet drive on it or just prop?

Just the 38lb thrust Minn-Kota right now! :lol: It's a little boat.

Looking at getting a little old outboard but it's not real high on the priority list for this year. I was lucky enough to stumble in to the boat. :)

edit: I want to take it across to the other side of where we often fish and see what's over there :cool:

Geezle
08-18-2011, 10:39 PM
I had a 10 pounder on mine and a few times when the wind would pick up we would actually drag it around.
Now we've got a 15 pounder and it works a lot better..

On a little 12 footer?

SonnyJ
08-18-2011, 10:57 PM
On a little 12 footer?

Yup,I guess it depends on the kind of bottom you want to anchor too.
I'm sure a five pounder would work if the bottom was soft mushy quicksand but on a hard rocky bottom..not so much me thinks..:)

BTW....I have an older 6hp Johnson (mid 70's) that runs good (did last year) that I could let go for cheap ...$350 maybe..if you're interested.

Geezle
08-18-2011, 11:08 PM
Well, I got a PM from Chris K and he's got a navy anchor he figures should do the trick for me, so I guess I'll be going with that :)

Sonny - I'll take that motor into consideration - I'm low on funds at the moment so it's not a super high priority right now. That being said, where is it located? :)

SonnyJ
08-18-2011, 11:20 PM
Hinton......but...could travel...lol