PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in a trip of a lifetime? QCI

fishmonger
08-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Tossing around a short-notice notion of going to QCI from Sept 1st to Sept 10/11th. Looking for 2 guys to accompany/share the cost. I've done the trip at least a dozen times, and it's always a blast.

The details:

Trip is no bells, no whistles. Drive out from Calgary, 18 hours. Ferry ride is an additional 6-7 hours. Logging road to West side is about 2 hours.

Beach camping in a wall tent with wood stove. No cost, but first come first served (limited spots).

Boat is a 13ft Zodiac with a 25hp motor. Open to the elements, no cover. Safe and reliable. Room for 3.

Diesel truck to transport.

Cost is split 3 ways equally. Ferry is about $200 each. Gas and food another $300 each. You also need a sal****er fishing license (about $25 bucks).

Total rough cost is $500-$600 for 5 or 6 days of ocean fishing...all in.

What can be caught? Each year we catch halibut ranging from 20lbs to 250lbs (our biggest). Lots of groundfish (yelloweye, china rock, quills, blacks). Good numbers of Ling. Salmon are tougher. Better numbers earlier in the year, but we have caught both silvers and springs sporadically.

Fish is frozen at camp (genset and freezer), and split equally upon return. It is rare that we don't limit out on everything except salmon.

What you do you need to bring?

Rain gear...it's wet. Very wet at times.
Camping cot and sleeping bag.
Sal****er fishing gear (stout rod and braided line...300 yards plus).
Camera.

Looking for 2 guys that I can get along with...everything else is gravy. I've tried to attach pics to get your juices flowing!

ORV
08-19-2011, 02:24 PM
sounds like a blast. if i could get the time off (i can,t)
i would be all over that like a fat kid on a doughnut.

good luck

orv.

Gary K
08-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Me and a buddy dibs next year! unfortunetly i have a trip planned then as well :(

Gary K
08-19-2011, 03:07 PM
wow that would be a wicked trip.

mooseknuckle
08-19-2011, 05:01 PM
So 54hrs of driving? Sounds great!

mooseknuckle
08-19-2011, 05:04 PM
Sorry my bad 40hrs driving 14 hours on the ferry.

fishmonger
08-19-2011, 10:35 PM
The driving is totally worth it. Heaven on earth. Usually there is no one else around, or at the most one other camper.

BGSH
08-19-2011, 10:42 PM
i will think about it :)

BeeGuy
08-19-2011, 10:51 PM
I take it your headed to Rennel Sound?

Such an amazing spot. Words can hardly describe the mystical beauty of this area. Worth the trip even without the fish.

Rennel Sound is dead after August as tourist season dries up fast. There's usually a couple guys kicking around the camp, and the fellow who runs the single boat charter is usually moored.

Boy is it ever wet though. I couldn't start a fire for the life of me (without additives), and it rains, everyday.

Wish I could go, but I can't.

fishmonger
08-20-2011, 01:21 PM
You nailed it BeeGuy...Rennell it is.

Check out the cost of a lodge/guided trip. 3-5 days will cost anywhere from 3k to 5k plus for QCI...AND you need to first get to Vancouver.

I get it that you pay for what you get...a warm bed, tin boats and they'll-do-anything-and-everything-for-you-service...but I prefer doing things for myself.

There is something to be said for sleeping 20 yards from the ocean, with a campfire crackling in the background, your arms and back sore from reeling big butts up from the ocean floor.

Time is short, not sure I'll get any takers on this trip...but for all you guys who are on the fence ("next year for sure"), I'd recommend lining a trip like this up. No one is ever disappointed....regardless of the 40 hrs of total driving.

fishmonger
08-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Just a few more pics...

1. Lots of species of rockfish...yellow-eye and tiger.
2. Whale (prob a grey) feeding 50 yards from our camp.
3. 6 to 8ft salmon shark circling us as we bottom bounce for butts.
4. Salmon shark coming in for a closer look (I have video of it bumping my "rubber" boat! Yeash.)
5. A pod of a dozen or so Orcas 1/2 mile from our camp.
6. Longnose skate took the bait.

Nothing like it. Everything but the kitchen sink.

Fishhunter
08-21-2011, 07:31 AM
Sounds like an awsome trip you do and for the salmon i think they are one of the worst eating fish in the ocean anyway give me a rockfish or cod any day.iam wondering is the 6 hr ferry from rupert or somewhere else.

timsesink
08-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Sounds amazing but I'm leading a youth campout during that time so I'm out.

harrydude
08-21-2011, 08:50 AM
loooks like a hell of a great trip to be had....

why not put a fulll party of guys together or next year...

would love to go but it is my aniversery on the 6th....can I bring wife lololol she cooks and even cleans fish

have fun guys and be safe

mszomola
08-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Again , a non angling province " setup a trip next year so my wife let's me"
That's what my fishing buddies sound like too ....

fishmonger
08-21-2011, 09:32 AM
To answer some of the questions:

Yes, the ferry ride is from Prince Rupert.

We normally go with 5 guys...2 boats...one truck...lots of "supplies" (single malt, etc...good thing I don't drink, I wouldn't be able to fish the next morning)...unfortunately things came up this year and the trip was kaiboshed. The key is getting 5 guys to split the cost (under $300 per) but you need 2 boats (zodiacs). It's no fun sitting on shore while your buddies fish all day!

If we need to fill out the roster next year I'll post again looking for takers...

Pic 1...shore dinner...yam fries, fresh halibut with tartar, fresh dungeness halves (oh yeah forgot to mention, crabbing is fabulous)...all cooked at camp.

Pic 2...250lb halibut tail...size 13 boot for sizing. Dressed out, according to the length/weight tables is about 180lbs (75%)...at $10 per pound this baby paid for our trip.

Can't say enough about the experience.

grinr
08-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Interested.....What dates are we talking about?:confused:

walking buffalo
08-21-2011, 10:23 PM
The road to the boat launch at Rennel Sound May be closed to the public. I would check with the locals to find out the status before your trip.

http://www.qciobserver.com/Article.aspx?Id=5002

That area is fantastic. Been there a few times. :)

fishmonger
08-21-2011, 11:07 PM
The road between the bottom of the hill and the river end of Clapp Basin is of question, not the road to the primitive campsites. In other words, bottom of the hill turn left, may be closed...turn right and there is no issue.

Heck of a ride down by the way...steepest decent of any public accessible logging road in Canada apparently (what I have heard, unfortunately I can't confirm). Steeper than the road down to Bella, which is a heck of a road as well.

Sorry for the language in the picture (wasn't me who defaced the sign), but it certainly has some humor attached to it...

fishmonger
08-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Interested.....What dates are we talking about?:confused:

Sorry grinr...missed your question. Just re-read the string.

At the start of the post I listed the dates...Sept 1 to the 10th...roughly.

fishmonger
08-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Yeash. This nails it. 2011 is done. Halibut will be closed before this trip would even officially begin. Gonna have to plan something for earlier in 2012, in case they close it earlier next year.

Of course joe public can still go out and buy halibut quota from the commercial guys if they want (and if they can afford it)...

Yet another case of DFO ****ing on your doormat while they watch the rest of your house burn down.

Gonna be some ticked off fishermen this September for sure.

------------------------------------------

RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0768-RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon) - Recreational Halibut Fishing Closure

Throughout the 2011 recreational halibut fishing season, the Department has
reviewed in-season monthly catch estimates for the recreational halibut
fishery.

Catch information indicates that the recreational share of the Total Allowable
Catch will be achieved in August.

Therefore, recreational fishing for halibut under the BC tidal water licence
will close effective 23:59 hours September 5, 2011 for the balance of the year.
2012 management actions will be developed this fall and announcements will be
made in early 2012.

Variation Order 2011 – 404 is in effect

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact: Tamee Karim 604-666-9033 or Devona Adams 604-666-3271

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0768
Sent August 22, 2011 at 12:37
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Gary K
08-22-2011, 11:23 PM
Bummer. Thats unfortunate.

Next year I guess!